Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preparation for cancellation of 20/21 season.

Back in March this year when the season was stopped there was a lot of discussion and disagreement about PPG and other solutions. I questionned then on CL why rules were not in place in case of war, pandemics and natural disasters. At that time it was being wise after the event.

Now however shouldn't we be making preparations for this? Are we arrogant in assuming it can't happen? What if several clubs go out of business? What then happens? There are lots of possibilities and plans should be made. It will be too late if it does happen and everyone puts forward arguments to suit their position.

Comments

• Options
    Ok , I didn't see that thread.
    It discusses the possibility of the season ending early but doesn't ask for solutions in advance.
    What for example if we've played 30 games and have 60 points and Peterborough have played 20 games with 41 points. Or vice-versa? Would PPG be reasonable?
    Parameters need to be set before we get anywhere near the scenario being in evidence.
  • Options
    I presume the PPG system is what will be used. Personally I am not a fan but that is what they used and you can't chop and change. The thing that should be decided now is how many games constitute a season.
  • Options
    The interesting one, which you bet will cause ructions in the CAFC camp, is if the season was called off before we played Ipswich and PPG said that we would end up third, a point behind them (a situation not far from the fact atm). Because, as we all know, our game in hand is against them, whilst they (in reality) don't have a game in hand. Currently we sit on 2 points per game so, using PPG, we would get another 2 points. But we could quite legitimately say that by beating Ipswich we would get 3 points & therefore go above them. 

Work that one out EFL.
  • Options
    The interesting one, which you bet will cause ructions in the CAFC camp, is if the season was called off before we played Ipswich and PPG said that we would end up third, a point behind them (a situation not far from the fact atm). Because, as we all know, our game in hand is against them, whilst they (in reality) don't have a game in hand. Currently we sit on 2 points per game so, using PPG, we would get another 2 points. But we could quite legitimately say that by beating Ipswich we would get 3 points & therefore go above them. 

Work that one out EFL.
    We'll put it in our to do tray and get back to you next season.
  • Options

Work that one out EFL.
    Well, if PPG is the rule then we wouldn't have a case.
    But it's more complicated than that. There is the example I put above when there is great disparity of games played but also that one team has played over half the games and the other hasn't. This consideration is already miles ahead of the EFL who haven't even confirmed that the 23 game mark is a rule i.e 23 or more played = PPG, fewer than 23 played = results expunged.

• Options
    edited October 2020

Work that one out EFL.
    But it's more complicated than that. There is the example I put above when there is great disparity of games played but also that one team has played over half the games and the other hasn't. This consideration is already miles ahead of the EFL who haven't even confirmed that the 23 game mark is a rule i.e 23 or more played = PPG, fewer than 23 played = results expunged.

But PPG isn't a "rule". Last season the EFL asked the 3 separate divisions to vote on what they wanted. Leagues 1 & 2 voted in  favour whereas the Championship voted against. Same could happen this season, but I don't think it's in any rule book as to what happens if the EFL want to end a season early.

Also I reckon Sandgaard would fight it in the courts. He is that type of man. 
  • Options
    If Lincoln are top of the league, I can guarantee the season will be cancelled.
  • Options
    Boom said:
    If Lincoln are top of the league, I can guarantee the season will be cancelled.
    And quite right too!
  • Options

Work that one out EFL.

But PPG isn't a "rule". Last season the EFL asked the 3 separate divisions to vote on what they wanted. Leagues 1 & 2 voted in  favour whereas the Championship voted against. Same could happen this season, but I don't think it's in any rule book as to what happens if the EFL want to end a season early.

Also I reckon Sandgaard would fight it in the courts. He is that type of man. 
    But that's what I said: it isn't a rule. If it's not confirmed , it's not a rule.
    No-one will be able to protest or go to court if the EFL and the clubs decide and vote now.
    Everything is so shortsighted regarding Covid19 and it drives me nuts.