Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Portsmouth v Charlton | Saturday 31st October 2020

Comments

• Options
    Team formation per the iFollow coverage:

Maybe Gunter and Matthews switched round, Old Man Prats slightly deeper at centre-half-back, and Willo slightly further upfield at centre-half-forward.
    Shinnie on the left can't be right surely.
    Was on the left-ish on Tuesday night
  • Options
  • Options
    LB rates Matthews a lot.
    I don't think this is a game for JFC in a storm, I'd rather start Levitt but let's see. Come on boys a win today would really be showing the rest.
    Surprised Barker aint even a sub. Let's hope we get no injuries/sending off CB position 
    Levitt’s worst game for us came in a storm so I don’t think he would necessarily offer much more. This feels more like a Watson game so it’s a shame we’re without him today. 
  • Options
    This was always going to be a tough one without two key players. Looks like it’ll be five at the back, which it should be given that Gunter isn’t actually a centre half and is only one for playing in the middle as part of a three. I don’t think this line up gets the best out of everyone if it is 3-5-2. You’re asking a lot of JFC defensively, asking Gunter and Pratley to play slightly out of position and putting Washington in a role where he’s a bit less effective than he is coming off the wing. It will be interesting to see how we perform without two of the players who have been such a key part of our clean sheets. I suspect that might end today so let’s hope Bogle and Williams can get their first goals for us as I think we’ll need more than one 
    Don’t agree about Washington, he made his name as a striker. I’m sure we’ll see him move out to the left and hopefully combine well with Maatsen. 
    Washington runs the channels though. Even if there is a change of formation and tactics, he'll still graft, Garry Nelson style.

• Options
    No Morgan on the bench. Really out of favour, it seems.

Ignore me, I'm unwell.

Williams needs to make an impact, can't afford to carry him.

Up the Addicks
    He is on the bench, forgot about that.

• Options
    LB rates Matthews a lot.
    I don't think this is a game for JFC in a storm, I'd rather start Levitt but let's see. Come on boys a win today would really be showing the rest.
    Surprised Barker aint even a sub. Let's hope we get no injuries/sending off CB position 
    Has made me chuckle what with Levitt struggling and Forster-Caskey "impressing" last weekend

Sun appears to be breaking out down there too which is good
    They are different players from what I've seen so far. With our defence a bit weaker I'd have Levitt in. JFC has not impressed me that much if I'm honest, I think he's been OK but don't see him getting many games when Gilbey and Maddison come in.

• Options
    Pratley will sit in front of the back four (Watson-style), with Forster-Caskey and Shinnie playing centrally too.

Williams will operate down the right (mostly) and Washington will stray towards the left.  They will swap on occasions.

It's a 4-1-4-1 out of possession and a 4-1-2-3 when we are attacking.

The formation is one thing, but the personnel is another.  Big day for Williams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LB rates Matthews a lot.
    Has made me chuckle what with Levitt struggling and Forster-Caskey "impressing" last weekend

Sun appears to be breaking out down there too which is good
    They are different players from what I've seen so far. With our defence a bit weaker I'd have Levitt in. JFC has not impressed me that much if I'm honest, I think he's been OK but don't see him getting many games when Gilbey and Maddison come in.

Would like to think that we've got Shinnie and Williams in the team to make things happen today... Pratley and Forster-Caskey are there to do the donkey work, dont think Levitt is quite there with that side to his game 
  • Options
    2-1 loss with Marquis scoring at least one of their goals.
  • Options
    This was always going to be a tough one without two key players. Looks like it’ll be five at the back, which it should be given that Gunter isn’t actually a centre half and is only one for playing in the middle as part of a three. I don’t think this line up gets the best out of everyone if it is 3-5-2. You’re asking a lot of JFC defensively, asking Gunter and Pratley to play slightly out of position and putting Washington in a role where he’s a bit less effective than he is coming off the wing. It will be interesting to see how we perform without two of the players who have been such a key part of our clean sheets. I suspect that might end today so let’s hope Bogle and Williams can get their first goals for us as I think we’ll need more than one 
    Don’t agree about Washington, he made his name as a striker. I’m sure we’ll see him move out to the left and hopefully combine well with Maatsen. 
    Sure, a long time ago for a team playing a different way. So far we haven’t made the best use of Washington as a striker, all his goals and best performances have come from him coming in off the wing for us. I’m sure he can play effectively as a striker but he’s better in this team coming in from wide given our tendency to lump the ball forward when we have two up front. We’re not that fluid at the moment and this weather won’t help 
  • Options
    Just going for a dump, hang on
  • Options
    I'm still going for a 1-0 away win as per my prediction on that thread.

The only change I'm making is the time we score: instead of Mount Chuks scoring after 59 mins, I'm amending it to 81 to allow for the Big Unit to come on from the bench.

Come on you rip-roaring, goal-scoring, clean-sheet-keeping Addicks!
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I'm exhausted after watching that. What's the point of making players warm up at that speed?

No wonder we get so many injuries. 

• Options
    Sunderland 1-0 up
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Just going for a dump, hang on
    I've just let the ref know he's got to wait for you. :smile:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Sunderland 1-0 up
    84th minute penalty

Jills down to 10 men for the past half hour.

• Options
    Sunderland 1-0 up
    They needed a penalty to go in front, 20 mins after Gills had a man sent off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Sunderland 1-0 up
    They needed a penalty to go in front, 20 mins after Gills had a man sent off.
    They missed the first penalty and Gills missed a penalty
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    On iFollow coverage, looks like they’re training the defenders as a back four with Gunter and Famewo in the middle.
  • Options
    Seems to be a back 4 of matthews gunter famewo maatsen according to someone on twitter who saw the warm ups on the stream - can anyone else watching confirm?
  • Options
    Gill 0 Sunderland 2
  • Options
    Diamond I reckon, with the option to switch to a back 3, much like we did a lot in 18/19. Williams at the top of the diamond with Bigle and Washington to split and play as wife forwards. Reckon it could work, personally, as long as the wind doesn’t disrupt things as much as at Northampton. 

Disappointed not to see Maddison again, starting to get some hall marks of turning out to be an anti climax. Hope he can get back and fit soon. 
  • Options
    3-5-2 for me. Unleash Maatsen
  • Options
    Is it just me or did the commentator say Akinfenwa is in our starting line up?
  • Options
    Just stuck money on 0-0
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    3-5-2 for me. Unleash Maatsen
    Unleash 😂
  • Options
    In this wind, will there be much running with the ball or just a long ball for the team that has the wind behind them, unless it is a cross wind, I thought I read that long ball was Pompey's style
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!