Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marco Van Basten on 5 Live

One of my favourite players when I was kid.  Doesn't always seem to get immediately mentioned as one of the greats but I think he was one of the best

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54816131

Comments

• Options

Fantastic player. Great goal in ‘88 (everyone knows that one). 
  • Options
    Incredible player. I first got into football in the late 80s as he moved to Milan and became an integral part of their all conquering side. HIs ridiculous volley for Holland in the 88 European championship final is one of my earliest football memories.

From 88-92 he was untouchable and had an amazing scoring record at a time when Serie A defences were notoriously tight. For me he's one of the best strikers ever but probably doesn't get mentioned enough as he played his last game aged only 28.
  • Options
    Fantastic player, although I saw him miss a penalty against Lazio while playing for AC in 1990
  • Options
    This could well be an interesting listen, if it is anything like this interview.

"It was a very big fall and a really dark time".  This is well worth a read and then a think about how we react to player injuries.

I was shocked to be reminded that he had to retire at just 28. This was a player so feted that a major square in Amsterdam, where many of us will have enjoyed a drink, is named after him
  • Options
    Superb striker. By chance I got to see him live twice; once v England at the Euros in 1988, once when I accidentally found myself at the Dutch cup final, Den Haag v Ajax (long story). He scored a hat-trick both times.
  • Options
    absolute baller, probably my first footballing hero
  • Options
    Fantastic player, although I saw him miss a penalty against Lazio while playing for AC in 1990
    Only ever missed a couple too I think so you saw a rare occurance!

I think if it wasn't for the injuries he'd not be forgotten in the discussions over best strikers ever as much as he is.  An absolutely top drawer player.
  • Options
    Only ever missed a couple too I think so you saw a rare occurance!

I think if it wasn't for the injuries he'd not be forgotten in the discussions over best strikers ever as much as he is.  An absolutely top drawer player.
    I've just looked it up, he missed 4. The game I was at wasn't on there though so did a bit of checking and it was a pre season friendly I went to. I'd always thought it was a league game. A couple of us were in Rome for a few days and only thought about trying to take a game in once we got there. Spoke to some blokes in a bar who told us where the ticket office was and we just walked up and bought them on the night. Considering it was a friendly, the atmosphere was fantastic. We were in the Lazio end, they were fucking nuts.