Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Evening Standard 5 A Side 1985

Comments

• Options
    Watch from 4 mins, us playing QPR in the Semi Final.

I went this night, beat Watford in the previous round 3-1

Our squad was

1. John Vaughan
    2. Sean McFadden
    3. Steve Gritt
    4. Mark Stuart
    5. Alan Kimble
    6. Gary Kimble

• Options
    Photos from that evening with @JohnnyH2 and @shirty5
  • Options
    I don't think Sean McFadden ever played a first team game for us did he?
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing. Never seen that shirt before.
  • Options
    I don't think Sean McFadden ever played a first team game for us did he?
    Not 1st team. I think he played for Erith & Belvedere and his Dad may have been Chairman 
  • Options
    Remember it well . A great night .
  • Options
    Was it a one off tournament?  I remember watching on the TV, would only have been 8/9.
  • Options
    Went to these. I think Eddie was in charge then.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    It's the pinstripe Osca isn't it? Just with a box around the sponsor rather than a band. 
  • Options
    Programme from that night https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/14158526594

and lots more at https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/albums

There is a copy of every London / Evening Standard 5-A-Side we played in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I used to go every year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll be honest and say it was probably my football highlight of the year.
  • Options
    Was it a one off tournament?  I remember watching on the TV, would only have been 8/9.
    It was held annually from the 50s through until 1985. It was brought back annually for 3 years from 1993
  • Options
    I think we won it twice. Once in the 60s and once in the 70s. I think it was 1975.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

• Options
    Excellent stuff. Remember all of those Bees players from 1983 and in that footage, you can see the class that Stan Bowles had. Fair play to Roger Wynter too....he had a brilliant tournament. 
  • Options
    I might start calling them QP Rangers now I've seen that programme from 1975......
  • Options

So really next time we play Millwall we ought to just go with 5 players really. This is where we have been going wrong all these years. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Tutt
    Bowman
    Powell
    Peacock
    Flanagan

Proper Charlton team - 1,500 appearances between them!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    PopIcon said:
    It's the pinstripe Osca isn't it? Just with a box around the sponsor rather than a band. 
    Yes, I've seen the one with the band, there is also a banded Adidas shirt with the Woolwich sponsor. Could be that particular shirt was worn in competition the following season?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Talal said:
    PopIcon said:
    Yes, I've seen the one with the band, there is also a banded Adidas shirt with the Woolwich sponsor. Could be that particular shirt was worn in competition the following season?
    I put a photo of that shirt up recently and no one seemed to think it was one we wore. The 5 a side tournament had a break between 86-92 so those Adidas shirts wouldn't have been used. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    PopIcon said:
    Talal said:
    PopIcon said:
    I put a photo of that shirt up recently and no one seemed to think it was one we wore. The 5 a side tournament had a break between 86-92 so those Adidas shirts wouldn't have been used. 
    The Guinness six a side ran from 82-90, we wore the grey Admiral when we won it in 1988. No idea what we wore the previous seasons, but its a possibility.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Talal said:
    PopIcon said:
    Talal said:
    PopIcon said:
    The Guinness six a side ran from 82-90, we wore the grey Admiral when we won it in 1988. No idea what we wore the previous seasons, but its a possibility.
    Good point. Wonder if these tournaments ever appeared in programmes. 
  • Options
    After our momentous win I remember waiting to buy the early edition of the next days Evening Standard as soon as it appeared and expecting a front page spread. Think I was a tad disappointed with the coverage.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    PopIcon said:
    That was the 84/85 kit which was the same as 83/84. We had no sponsor for the whole of 83/84 or the 1st half of 84/85, so you could only buy the kit without a sponser. Woolwich then sponsored us at the turn of the year, and that was how the kit was for most of the rest of the seasonwith the exception of the following games

Spurs Away in the Cup - First time I think wearing the Woolwich as sponsor and it was just on the shirt with no box or band

Spurs Home and City Away - Both on TV highlights and the kit had Sunley instead of Woolwich (I presume Sunley as owners wanted the extra exposure)

The following season the 85/86 the kit was slightly altered to having the sponser in a band, and this kit could be bought
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Talal said:
    PopIcon said:
    Talal said:
    PopIcon said:
    There was no special kit for these tournaments. At the Soocer Six (88/89)the first night we wore the home kit, finals night we wore the grey (as there was a kit clash in all 3 games)
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Talal said:
    PopIcon said:
    That was the 84/85 kit which was the same as 83/84. We had no sponsor for the whole of 83/84 or the 1st half of 84/85, so you could only buy the kit without a sponser. Woolwich then sponsored us at the turn of the year, and that was how the kit was for most of the rest of the seasonwith the exception of the following games

Spurs Away in the Cup - First time I think wearing the Woolwich as sponsor and it was just on the shirt with no box or band

Spurs Home and City Away - Both on TV highlights and the kit had Sunley instead of Woolwich (I presume Sunley as owners wanted the extra exposure)

The following season the 85/86 the kit was slightly altered to having the sponser in a band, and this kit could be bought
    Indeed it was 👍