Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton | Saturday 21st November 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    MattF said:
    mendonca said:
    Seeing some harsh Bogle comments on twitter and it's a shame he has noticed them himself. Bogle from the start with Chuks coming on and scoring is working so why change it? Chuks will break down very quickly if he starts games.
    It is quite sad. Half of me is wondering what whistles/jeers/negativity he would have received from the crowd if we were back at the Valley. 
    He wouldn't receive any I don't think, lot easier for these people to spout their rubbish on social media than in public where they'll be pulled up for it. Glad to see he's taken notice of the supportive fans as well
    You have a very, very short memory 
  • Options
    Bogle needs to have thicker skin or ignore social media if it's going to upset him
  • Options
    MattF said:
    mendonca said:
    Seeing some harsh Bogle comments on twitter and it's a shame he has noticed them himself. Bogle from the start with Chuks coming on and scoring is working so why change it? Chuks will break down very quickly if he starts games.
    It is quite sad. Half of me is wondering what whistles/jeers/negativity he would have received from the crowd if we were back at the Valley. 
    He wouldn't receive any I don't think, lot easier for these people to spout their rubbish on social media than in public where they'll be pulled up for it. Glad to see he's taken notice of the supportive fans as well
    Yup, I thought his replies that were posted in this thread were very level-headed, shows a strong character not to immediately go on the attack like so many other people tend to do on social media. I’m glad so many other fans posted in with some positive comments too. 
  • Options

• Options
    So our heat map suggests our open passing were in zones occupied by Maatsen and Pratley. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    mendonca said:
    Did you watch Charlton when Morgan Fox and Simon Francis were playing? It was embarrassing the comments they got. Abuse never seems to make players play better for some reason.
  • Options
    'CLEARLY clipped the bloke' heels'

There must be another camera angle available to a select few.

@Fortune 82nd Minute
    Looks to me as if the guy just slowed down a bit and if Gunter
    touched him it certainly didn't look deliberate or intentional, and
    indeed even clumsy, he just couldn't help it, that's why he looked
    so dumbfounded at the decision.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    mendonca said:
    Did you watch Charlton when Morgan Fox and Simon Francis were playing? It was embarrassing the comments they got. Abuse never seems to make players play better for some reason.
    My perspective is different now as I sit somewhere very different, Morgan Fox was the biggest scapegoat I can remember although that's more because of the person in my ear behind me who loved nothing more than to mutter "bloody Fox", usually when he wasn't playing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The heat map suggests that Ben Watson and Andrew Shinnie were similar in terms of passing range (forwards as well as sideways/backwards) in all areas of the pitch, with Watson scoring a slightly higher passing accuracy rate. Yet Watson got quite a bit of criticism while Shinnie got a lot of praise. Goes to show that perception can be flawed, perhaps influenced by pre-existing views.
  • Options
    I know Maddison is there to be creative and take risks, but 5/16 is pretty poor, especially as 2 of those successful passes were defensive backwards passes in his own half

Indeed, he only made ONE successful forward pass in the whole match

Also neither Bogle nor Washington made any passes in the penalty box. Nearly half of Bogle's passes were in his own half
  • Options
    MattF said:

I’m pretty certain that’s our best game when referring to the heat maps. 

10 players (who played majority of game) with 72% pass accuracy or above is exceptional. I notice that Shinnie almost always has the highest number of passes and tends to be top 3 for accuracy too. 
  • Options
    I’ve read a few people in the player marks thread saying it was a pen because Gunter made contact. Isnt football a contact sport?

For it to be a pen, there needs to be a foul, not contact. There wasn’t a foul.

for both pens, 6ft plus forwards went down do easy! I don’t enjoy football as much as I did 10 years ago, any touch and players go down like they’ve been shot
    Gunter tripped their bloke, on purpose or not it was a foul in the box. It wasn't *just* contact. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Amos getting lots of 7's/8's out of 10 in the player marks match. Made a few good saves, but complete airpunch in the first half which there guy headed over. Easy catch which he fumbled in the fist half and they nearly scored. Maybe even should have come out quicker for the penalty we conceded! Rose tinted glasses.
    Which L1 keeper is better than Amos?
    Maybe you misread my post because I don't understand the relevance of the question. I'm pretty sure Amos is one of the best keepers in the league, although I can't say i watch other league one matches. I think he had an average game, certainly for his high standards. 

If you watch quest, League 1 normally 10-10 30 on a Saturday night (I normally record and analysis on Sunday) you will see why "Covered End" believes Amos is a candidate as the best keeper in League 1.

Did Ben make a couple of slight errors on Saturday ? Yes, did he get away with it ? Yes.

I repeat we are very lucky to have had Phillips, the last two seasons and Amos this Season. 

Ben Hamer was in credit in our League 1 winning team and made some amazing saves but he also flapped like mad and totally cocked up in the home defeat against Colchester when he kicked the ball into the charging forward.

Will be better for Ben when Inniss and Famewo are back despite Gunter and Pratley doing well out of their natural positions.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Gills keeper in team of the week.
    Yes it was a great save from the penalty, but I don't remember making many other special saves and in the first half he twice was nearly caught out by speculative long shots due to standing too far forward
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    How can anyone say Gunter tripping their bloke wasn't a penalty? A foul is a foul intentional or not. He tripped the bloke in our box!
    Totally agree. He may not have meant it but he clearly clipped the blokes heels. 

A clear penalty for me. 
    Do you know, I've slowed the highlights footage of the incident right down, watched it over and over .... and I still can't see there was any contact by tripping or clipping heels.

All I see was Gunther's head go down as the opponent's arm seems to flail behind - and then the opponent suddenly hit the deck as if he'd been shot.
    Was that the contact, if any?

Maybe a different camera angle can shed more light on it?

I've done the same and I can't see any contact. Gunter looked across just before the striker went down so I doubt there was intent. But Gunter then sort of missed a stride as though he'd made contact. I can't think the striker would have gone down without some sort of contact - on practicality grounds rather than moral ones (he needed something to justify the fall). So I think some contact was made, albeit unintentional. so I think its a pen.

Looks like Omar was caught by a flailing arm in the back of the head, then a full body impact, so a pen for us too.

• Options
    The pelters Bogle is getting is beyond harsh and I fear a lot darkly worse than that.

bleat bleat... "...but Chuks is so much better..."  only for 15 - 20 minutes he is Chuks starting is not something I want to see anytime soon
    Bogle's already put more miles in than Chuks will manage all season.  Bogle doesn't give up.  Chuks misplaces a pass or two or gets a firm tackle and he pouts, sulks and checks out - no contest in my eyes.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bogle needs to have thicker skin or ignore social media if it's going to upset him
    How much obscene personal abuse is acceptable, exactly?
  • Options

Gills keeper in team of the week.
    Yes it was a great save from the penalty, but I don't remember making many other special saves and in the first half he twice was nearly caught out by speculative long shots due to standing too far forward
    Did well to touch Maddison's free kick on to the bar, comfortably saved from Gilbey in the second half

There was also Maatsen's effort that he spilled but then did well to recover before Bogle could get there
  • Options
     Here you see Gunter's shin connect with Akinde's foot
     Here you see Akinde's left foot hit his right ankle after the connection
     here both players stumble

Now I am certain Akinde could have stayed on his feet having watched this at 1/4 speed. But it's still a foul as Gunter purposefully or not tripped Akinde.

Had it been a shoulder to shoulder etc, I could understand the disagreements. 
  • Options
    I do wonder if Akinde was clever enough to slow his run to let Gunter tangle with him?

Not saying he would have been wrong to do that, more its up to Chris to be smart enough to get out the way
    More irksome for me is that he trails the leg that wasn't clipped by Gunter when he went down. He definitely bought the foul, but Gunter sold it to him. 
  • Options
    I don't think anybody can say Amos isn't having a great season so far.
    Absolutely not, but surely if/when he has a bad game it's not unfair to point it out, particularly when the thread is specific to that game. I wouldn't support any post that even hints at dropping Amos or even criticising him for it, but I'm in agreement with cafcsinger that giving him an 8 on Saturday was probably reflective of his form so far this season and not Saturday's game. Either that or the fantastic save stands out, but he certainly didn't have his best game. 

Covered End responded by asking who is better than him but I don't think that's a relevant question. If Amos lets two slip under his legs tomorrow I will score him low and I will probably comment that he's cost us the game. That doesn't necessarily mean I don't rate him, it's just a fair and accurate response. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
     Here you see Gunter's shin connect with Akinde's foot
     Here you see Akinde's left foot hit his right ankle after the connection
     here both players stumble

Now I am certain Akinde could have stayed on his feet having watched this at 1/4 speed. But it's still a foul as Gunter purposefully or not tripped Akinde.

Had it been a shoulder to shoulder etc, I could understand the disagreements. 
    I can see why a pen was given but I disagree. It’s a tangling of legs that neither player is responsible for. 

I don’t get how you can say Gunter fouled Akinde when it’s Akinde’s backward stride that initiated the contract and put himself off balance.
    On that basis, you could even say that Afkinde's foot made contact with Gunther's shin .......  making Gunther the one actually fouled, whatever!

Afkinde's foot does seem to be unnaturally trailing behind ..... and we know it's a well known trick to con a referee into awarding a penalty kick: think Zaha at Palace, for example.

In all the images, you can see Gunther clearly focused on the ball ahead.
    He wouldn't have seen Afkinde's trailing foot, so from what I can see from the footage/photos .......... no intent whatsoever.

But for all Dazzler's efforts to judge Gunther as guilty, watching it again and again I still can't see any actual contact.

• Options
    I don't think anybody can say Amos isn't having a great season so far.
    Absolutely not, but surely if/when he has a bad game it's not unfair to point it out, particularly when the thread is specific to that game. I wouldn't support any post that even hints at dropping Amos or even criticising him for it, but I'm in agreement with cafcsinger that giving him an 8 on Saturday was probably reflective of his form so far this season and not Saturday's game. Either that or the fantastic save stands out, but he certainly didn't have his best game. 

Covered End responded by asking who is better than him but I don't think that's a relevant question. If Amos lets two slip under his legs tomorrow I will score him low and I will probably comment that he's cost us the game. That doesn't necessarily mean I don't rate him, it's just a fair and accurate response. 
    This
  • Options
    Absolutely none.