Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Green homes grant

Anyone had anything done on the new government grant?

I've just applied to finally get our cavity walls insulated. Had a couple of quotes.
Just wondered if anyone had got the vouchers yet?

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully moving into a new home middle of January.
    Needs total refurb, had a little look into this and thinking is it worth the hassle.
    Carly did you think the quotes were reasonable?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Hopefully moving into a new home middle of January.
    Needs total refurb, had a little look into this and thinking is it worth the hassle.
    Carly did you think the quotes were reasonable?
    Well the few I had all came in around £1000-£1500. Whether that's value for money I'm not sure but with the subsidy I think it's worth it.
    There's a lack of companies that have signed up to do it as they have to jump through a lot of hoops to get accredited.
    A lot of the cowboys that were around the last time the government offered this kind of thing have disappeared, but the gov have just extended the deadline so no doubt a few will surface

The firm I'm using have been around for years.
  • Options
    The scheme will fall on its arse. I have had my business for over 25 years we are installers of renewable technologies, central heating, double glazing and insulation. This scheme is far too dodgy for most respectable companies to get involved with. All that will happen is the cowboys will start up companies jump on the bandwagon then liquidate getting rid of their liabilities. Longstanding reputable companies cannot do that so are avoiding this scheme as it is a nightmare waiting to happen
  • Options
    As an example of how dodgy companies will try to exploit this scheme my sister who lives in Kent had a company quote her for solar panels the quote came in at £12k and she would get a £6k voucher towards it leaving her to pay the balance of £6k. We would install the same system for a total price of £3,700. With no need for a grant 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    How much for cavity wall insulation @AndyG ?
  • Options
    Depends on the m2 and material used mate. If its bead it should be around the £7 m2 if it wool it should be around £6 m2
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I have absolutely no idea on the sq meterage but what do you reckon for the average 3 bed semi?
  • Options
    We are trying to get our conservatory insulated under this scheme, although the work hasn't been done yet we are still hopeful, although I must admit it's a pain in the butt and I'm close to giving up.
  • Options
    How the hell can Karlan be homeless on his wages? Bloody nice of Danny Green to give him a room in his house.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    As an example of how dodgy companies will try to exploit this scheme my sister who lives in Kent had a company quote her for solar panels the quote came in at £12k and she would get a £6k voucher towards it leaving her to pay the balance of £6k. We would install the same system for a total price of £3,700. With no need for a grant 
    This is the thing Andy , how much through this scheme would it cost for a firm to come and insulate my loft.
    It will probably be cheaper for me to go out and buy the insulation and do it myself.
    The whole house needs double glazing from single glazing.
    What would one of these firms charge for double glazing, they would charge to supply and fit.
    I doubt any of them just supply.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm in a similar boat. Got a 1987 house and all the windows and doors are original timber and need replacing. That's a "secondary" measure. 

So to do that Ill need to get a load of other stuff done like cavity walls etc (I don't even know if I have that but don't think so, freezing here).

I'm sure there must be some legitimate businesses in the scheme...?