Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Wednesday 02 December | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Unusual to play a L1 side with so many familiar names, especially when it's not one of the "big" clubs

I'm not sure who Bowyer will pick. From previous comments Bowyer doesn't like playing Morgan twice a week, and he played the full 90 on Saturday so it wouldn't surprise me if he is on the bench. Williams only played 50 odd minutes on Saturday, is that enough to rule him out from starting? Is 3am takeaway Marcus likely to start this match? Will Pearce or even Akin start?

We do need Washington back if Smyth is out, as otherwise we're very light up top

• Options
    Pearce won’t be starting then, but Famewo may. Will be pleased to see him back but I suspect the same CH’s as Saturday to start.
  • Options
    Upsets happen all the time in this league, I feel more nervous when we play sides lower down than the top ones. Hope we're fully at it from the beginning. 
  • Options
    LB always does it when you think you have the team all planned he changes it. Pearce playing today in an under 23 game and LB hopes he could play on Wednesday, and Oshilaja roomed with levitt and is isolating while LB hopes Famewo will be fit enough to partner Pearce. Smyth not available
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    Redrobo said:
    I would be tempted to match their 3-5-2. I think if we play a diamond their 5 will over run us.

Dazzler21 said:
    For me a very similar side...

Amos
    Matthews - Gunter - Pratley - Purrington
    Watson
    Shinnie - Gilbey
    Morgan
    Bogle - Washington

I'm not sure if we'd be better going 3-4-3 for this one.

If so I'd like to see:

Amos
    Gunter - Pearce - Purrington
    Matthews - Shinnie - Pratley - Maatsen
    Maddison - Bogle - Williams

This gives us the benefit of being able to bring Morgan on and like for like replacing Pratley for Morrison. 

The 3 becomes a 5 at the back if we need it.

Personally I'd start the same side we had against Ipswich, they'll have had an extra days rest.
    Maatsen suspended Daz which kinda buggers up a 3-5-2. If Pearce is back, maybe we will go back to Watson and Pratley in front of a back four with Morgan and Shinnie in front of them? 
    In possession especially, there is not much difference tactically between 3-5-2 and the diamond. If the centre backs split, and full backs push on, we know Watson will drop back.

When we don’t have the ball, having the extra centre back could come in handy when playing against someone like Jerome. It just means the midfield will have to be close to one another to ensure we give ourselves a good chance of winning the second ball if we don’t win the first.
    I think the main difference is the players you select for the formation. I think their 5 in midfield would put us under pressure for long periods and three CH’s is a waste of a player when we are defending. Our midfield is our strength IMO so for this game I would go 4-4-2. 
    That’s why I’ve gone for a 4-4-2, just in the diamond form. We know Shinnie, Morgan, Williams, and Maddison, whichever two start, can and will drop out wide when needed, but ultimately, if we win the midfield battle, Watson and two others, I think we will have enough to win this game.

The ball will be on the floor much more than usual, it could suit us.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    You may have also noticed I have only called our opposition MK or Milton Keynes. Nothing about them is 'Dons' so without any disrespect, to me they're MKFC or Milton Keynes FC.
    Snowflake.
  • Options
    I don’t think Pearce will start. Bows to go with Gunter and Pratley is my guess.

Hoping for a comfortable win - it’s got to happen sometime!!
  • Options
    Watson was limping at the end of the Ipswich game, but we had used up our subs. May be a doubt. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    I don't believe this one flows/reads as well as my previous previews, but hope you like it nonetheless. :smile:
    Nargh, Rubbish;)

Aren’t MK another of our bogey sides?
    Won 7, drew 4, lost 5.

Fondly remember our first meeting, a 5-1 victory at The Valley just over 11 years ago.
    Went 1-0 down to an absolute screamer from Aaron Wilbraham
  • Options
    Sage said:
    You may have also noticed I have only called our opposition MK or Milton Keynes. Nothing about them is 'Dons' so without any disrespect, to me they're MKFC or Milton Keynes FC.
    Snowflake.
    Excuse me?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I liked the preview. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Snowflake.
    Excuse me?
    Sorry I'd just been on the 3 in 1 thread.
  • Options
    Great preview as ever @Sage Always in awe of the insight you and @ForeverAddickted bring to each preview. 

For those of us who don’t have the time to study more than the results and match stats of opposition, these previews really are worth weight in gold to see what we’re up against in the upcoming match. 

I had absolutely no idea of the strong experience in this MK side, so will be an interesting battle of minds in latter stages of the game between Keogh, Jerome & Surman and Pratley, Watson & Gunter. 
  • Options
    I don't know where to post this ..... but looking at the photo of Jonny Williams, his socks are rolling down - doesn't he wear shin pads?

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/ipswich-town-boss-paul-lambert-gives-verdict-on-loss-to-charlton-athletic/
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I don't know where to post this ..... but looking at the photo of Jonny Williams, his socks are rolling down - doesn't he wear shin pads?

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/ipswich-town-boss-paul-lambert-gives-verdict-on-loss-to-charlton-athletic/
    I wonder the same of Jack Grealish at times
  • Options
    Excellent review Sage.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Oggy Red said:

I think he wears small ones.

One thing that was different on Saturday from Tuesday was we were not passing it around the back so much. Noticeably so. Was this because there was an out ball or a tactical change?
  • Options
    Is this the Superspreader Cup ?

Won't be going or watching. 

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I think he wears small ones.
    They must be pretty small then, Mutts ...... in the photo he has a lot of shin exposed.

For a player who runs with the ball and invites fouls, at the very least he needs his shins properly protected,

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is probably something the authorities need to clamp down on. Players have to wear pads, but I don't think there is any stipulation about size. Going back quite a few years. but I can think of two occasions when I played of shin pads preventing my leg being broken. Both malicious. I suspect other posters will have similar experiences.
  • Options
    You only very, very rarely see shinbreakers at the pro level nowadays tbf
  • Options
    I think that is fair. But you only need one in a career to bugger you up.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Got to wonder if Russell Martin will be involved for Milton Keynes on Wednesday what with the death of his father yesterday 

Edit... Just realised he's their Manager now!! 
  • Options
    with the starting line up suggested it looks like another try and nick a goal but if not try and win it in the last half hour - with no aneke, smith, williams or marten i just don't see any penetration in that starting line up and think we will struggle again - heho, it is what it is, roll on the window and roll on the likes of williams and aneke developing some stamina  
  • Options
    And even if you recover, there's the effect it can have on you in later life.

That's when football injuries can really impact on mobiltiy and quality of life issues.
    When you're 25, you don't think of that.
  • Options
    Is this the Superspreader Cup ?

Won't be going or watching. 

Wow wont be going or watching and 0-0 as well. You ever thought of a career in marketing ?
  • Options
    Thank you to those of you who have said about the preview, it’s always appreciated and nice when people enjoy them. I just feel this time, it didn’t work as nicely as I would’ve liked.

@Oggy Red regarding shin pads, all players will be wearing them, but believe it or not, Jonny actually has them in the correct place. The weakest part of the ‘shin’ is near the ankle, you’re far less likely to have an injury high up the shin.

One of the first things I was told at University was if you could make a shin pad in football that was protective enough, light enough, used the right materials, and covers enough of the shin that needs it without restricting movement, you will make an absolute fortune. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    And even if you recover, there's the effect it can have on you in later life.

That's when football injuries can really impact on mobiltiy and quality of life issues.
    When you're 25, you don't think of that.
    I’m 25, and trust me I think of that. Had more than my fair share of injuries and feeling it already! 
  • Options
    3-1