Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy birthday, Antonin Panenka!

I thought I'd put this up because a few weeks ago I was worried it might be an RIP I would be posting, as he was seriously ill with Covid, but he fought it off. 

He's a very modest man who, I was told would have had no idea that "doing a Panenka" is part of the English football vocab. His wife was astounded and extremely moved by the global messages of support he received when he was fighting for his life in intensive care a few weeks back. 

He still has a backroom role at his career - defining Czech club, Bohemians, I had the chance to shake his hand when I went down there for a meeting about some advertising thing may years ago. No airs and graces, no expensive tastes, (probably because he hasn't got much dosh!), very much the air of a bloke you'd love to go down the pub with. Indeed he runs one. not far from Prague. 

Somebody reminded us on Twitter of the sheer nerve of what he did. The Czechoslovak team had been 2-0 down and had pulled it back to 2-2, and this was a penalty shoot-out. 

Anyway to prove it was no one -off, here is a second example of his technique, this is from a club game, when he was in Austria, with Rapid Vienna I think.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I thought I'd put this up because a few weeks ago I was worried it might be an RIP I would be posting, as he was seriously ill with Covid, but he fought it off. 

He's a very modest man who, I was told would have had no idea that "doing a Panenka" is part of the English football vocab. His wife was astounded and extremely moved by the global messages of support he received when he was fighting for his life in intensive care a few weeks back. 

He still has a backroom role at his career - defining Czech club, Bohemians, I had the chance to shake his hand when I went down there for a meeting about some advertising thing may years ago. No airs and graces, no expensive tastes, (probably because he hasn't got much dosh!), very much the air of a bloke you'd love to go down the pub with. Indeed he runs one. not far from Prague. 

Somebody reminded us on Twitter of the sheer nerve of what he did. The Czechoslovak team had been 2-0 down and had pulled it back to 2-2, and this was a penalty shoot-out. 

Anyway to prove it was no one -off, here is a second example of his technique, this is from a club game, when he was in Austria, with Rapid Vienna I think.

Very cheeky lob but also cool as a cucumber and how pissed off the goalkeeper must of been!😹
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    No Panenka = no Yann Kermorgant at Charlton (probably), so he's an indirect Charlton legend.