Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar 2022 World Cup qualifying draw

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2020
    England have got a very good draw there all things considered. Poland and Hungary are no mugs though.

France group looks tough with Ukraine, Finland and Bosnia. Similarly Spain’s group could be tricky if Greece get their act together.
  • Options
    Plenty of good trips there. Plus one good home match against Poland. 

Can’t believe Kosovo weren’t allowed in Serbia group. 
    Yeah just baffling - Nothing to do with the fact that Serbia doesnt recognise Kosovo as a country? ;)
    If I was in charge of FIFA I'd force counties to play their genuine neighbours. Israel isn't in Europe, they should be playing in Asia against the likes of Iran. It might help mend the divide in the Middle East if countries were forced to play against each other. Admittedly it might also start WWIII  :D
    Series 2 of Danny Dyer’s hardest away days. Following Russia as they play in Kiev.
  • Options
    England V Albania aka the 3 for a £100 derby 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    England have got a very good draw there all things considered. Poland and Hungary are no mugs though.

France group looks tough with Ukraine, Finland and Bosnia. Similarly Spain’s group could be tricky if Greece get their act together.
    Poland seem to be on the up but Lewandowski will be 34 by the time of the tournament. Hungary shouldn't pose England too many issues.

The big nations should make it through all of the groups in that I don't really see a group of death. More a group to play your way in.
  • Options
    I was wondering how we managed to get Andorra AND San Marino in our group......then I noticed that Gibraltar & Lichtenstein are also playing. Jesus......some of the scorelines are going to be ridiculous.
  • Options
    I was wondering how we managed to get Andorra AND San Marino in our group......then I noticed that Gibraltar & Lichtenstein are also playing. Jesus......some of the scorelines are going to be ridiculous.
    What - just like every other qualifying group, you mean? 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Hungary and Albania will be very lively affairs for the travelling hoards.

For me personally, Hungary aside, the rest is a borefest as we’ve played them in recent times and I did Albania for the Kosovo trip last year.

Poland at home was the best atmosphere I’ve attended at (new) Wembley in 2012.
  • Options
    Poland, Russia, Bosnia, Armenia and Moldova would be a shit group in terms of tough games and travel.

Wales, Scotland, Albania, Andorra and San Marino would be a piss easy group.
    Got 3 of them so can't really complain at that draw!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Poland seem to be on the up but Lewandowski will be 34 by the time of the tournament. Hungary shouldn't pose England too many issues.

The big nations should make it through all of the groups in that I don't really see a group of death. More a group to play your way in.
    Doesn't mean much when all 10 qualifiers are going to be played in the next 11 months. He averages more than a goal a game over the last 3 seasons and has got better with age. Last year aged 32 was the best of his career.
  • Options
    Qatar will be added to one of the groups with 5 teams in the European qualifiers to help them prepare for the tournament. 
  • Options
    Qatar will be added to one of the groups with 5 teams in the European qualifiers to help them prepare for the tournament. 
    Like France a few years ago. The 5th team not playing in each round of qualifying will play Qatar in a friendly instead
  • Options
    Looks likely to be Group A
  • Options
    Yet they've been taking part in Asian Qualifying anyway so surely getting all the prep they need!!
  • Options
    Qatar in Group A along with Ireland.
  • Options
    Yet they've been taking part in Asian Qualifying anyway so surely getting all the prep they need!!
    Have you seen who's in their group?

Oman, Afghanistan, India and Bangladesh! That's not prep for anything.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Loic  Nego plays for Hungary 
  • Options
    edited December 2020

I'm surprised they cant just advance to the Third Round of Qualifying, again its just two groups of five or six teams yet will of course have to face the likes of Japan etc... I'd be pissed off if I was Portugal and have to play an away game there

Either way I dont think it's going to matter what prep they get... I cant see them getting close enough to reaching the second round of the World Cup itself so why piss about putting them in other continents
  • Options

I'm surprised they cant just advance to the Third Round of Qualifying, again its just two groups of five or six teams yet will of course have to face the likes of Japan etc... I'd be pissed off if I was Portugal and have to play an away game there

Either way I dont think it's going to matter what prep they get... I cant see them getting close enough to reaching the second round of the World Cup itself so why piss about putting them in other continents
    Portugal may see it as a nice little prep experience playing them to get a feel what playing out there is like.

Also, I wouldn’t rule anyone out of tournament football. Costa Rica topped a group of Italy, Uruguay and England not long ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020

Portugal may see it as a nice little prep experience playing them to get a feel what playing out there is like.

Also, I wouldn’t rule anyone out of tournament football. Costa Rica topped a group of Italy, Uruguay and England not long ago.
    Very true, both good points

European teams do tend to struggle in hotter World Cup's hence why Costa Rica did so well for me in Brazil

After all, only two World Cup's have been won by a team from Europe when its been held outside of the continent

So isnt too far fetched that Qatar can do the similar themselves
  • Options

They might surprise a couple of teams. They won the Asia cup in 2019, beating Saudi, South Korea and Japan along the way and then they weren't disgraced as a guest team at the Copa America.

They're playing as a guest nation again in next summers Copa America too.
  • Options
    All Qatar home games are in Europe as to limit the travel in the condensed calendar.
  • Options
    All Qatar home games are in Europe as to limit the travel in the condensed calendar.
    Wow! Actual common sense from FIFA/UEFA. Stop the press. 
  • Options

I dunno, Virat Kohli, Rashid Khan and Tamim Iqbal are all top players  ;)