Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bird watching bins

Looking to buy some binoculars for xmas for someone looking to get into bird watching.

Are there any twitchers on here that can please recommend a decent pair for someone starting out?

Have had a butcher's on the RSPB website but seem to be sold out and/or not guaranteeing delivery by xmas so will probably need to get them from Amazon but that's a minefield when you haven't a clue what to look for.

Cheers 

Comments

• Options
    I asked this question to the RSPB a while ago .. they recommend Viking Vistron bins
  • Options
    Cheers Lincs will check them out. Do you know what's better to go for in terms of 8x42 or 10x 42?
  • Options
    Cheers Lincs will check them out. Do you know what's better to go for in terms of 8x42 or 10x 42?
     10s get you 'closer' than 8s and are more expensive of course but not by a lot .. good luck .. I use mine more for watching shipping on the Humber as well as birds of which there are thousand upon thousand around here ((:>)
  • Options
    Thanks mate 
  • Options
    10 x 42 is what you want. I've got a pair of Celestron Outland x which are cheap and do the job - they are not the best for picking up colours and obviously the more you pay - the better they get. They weren't the best for when I used them for work a while back but they are fine for casual bird watching. Viking are a bit better, next step up you're looking at Steiner and then right up to Ibis and Swarovski bins - then you're looking around£1,000k up.

I'd love a pair of Swarovski ones but I might need that Lottery win first
  • Options
    Thanks.  Yeah I'll not be spending over £150 so can discount the £1k ones straight away! :-) 
  • Options
    Vanguard Spirit xf 8x42. Best bins I have ever had and for the price really good value. Have compared to £800 bins and every bit as good. I would highly recommend. Brilliant for my weird twitching obsession.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I use 10x25s (Nikon Aculon A30s, almost ten years old!) and they work fine for me. Same magnification except you have to be a bit more accurate with where you point them due to reduced field. Can get them within your budget.
  • Options
    This is the thread where we all discuss our most private and personal vice, it's sweet :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've got Nikon Monarch 5 10x42 - superb bins.
  • Options
    Also, don't let the Palace fans see this thread, jeepers
  • Options
    Thanks all. :-) 
  • Options
    I opened this thread thinking it was going to be about a girlfriend who had got a weird fetish for your wheelie bin.

I must get out more........
  • Options
    I use these, especially when out with the Mrs