Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Digital Shower Advice from Plumbers

I've had an Aqualisa Quartz Digital shower for quite a few years in my bathroom and when working it's decent however every couple of years the service unit needs replacing and it's flaky and constantly needs resetting, and they cost a few bob too. Currently it has a trickle of water coming out and it's doesn't get that hot. I'm fed up with it and want to get a normal shower like a Mira Excel which I had installed in a loft conversion a couple of years ago and it works really well and the pressure is good.

Anyone know if it's a difficult job to replace a digital shower for a normal mixer shower like the Mira Excel without loads of work? I have a combi boiler.

Comments

• Options
    I’ve never heard of one so now intrigued. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’ve never heard of one so now intrigued. 
    I had it installed when I moved into my house years ago as I had a gravity fed boiler system and the water pressure from the hot water tank was terrible and this was pumped. When we had a loft conversion a couple of years ago we had to replace the boiler with a Combi one and I kept the digital shower although the pump was replaced for an electrical unit to work with the Combi but it's never been that great and now it needs replacing want to simplify it all if I can.
  • Options
    I love my aqualisa quartz digital shower and have fitted a dozen or so for customers/family with no issues , except one where the head was scaled and affecting the flow , it seemed to confuse the inbuilt computer 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @valleyaddick

I have a cross water digital shower been fitted for a year ..just recently its been coming out in a trickle but gets heavier as it gets hotter although I have to put the hot lever at max

I have taken off the soaker head and water is trickling out ..so it's not the head ,the pump seems to be making the right noise. I think it's the relationship between pump and shower 

Any ideas? Bet you regret posting the above so pardon the liberty

Should I just turn it off at the plug and turn it on again at the plug ? 

• Options
    I love my aqualisa quartz digital shower and have fitted a dozen or so for customers/family with no issues , except one where the head was scaled and affecting the flow , it seemed to confuse the inbuilt computer 
    They hate hard water and limescale 

Takes about 2 years for it to build up enough to breed gremlins 
  • Options
    A plumber told me not so long ago that the digital ones constantly break and are generally more trouble than they’re worth.
  • Options
    What is a 'digital' shower, then? I'm finding it hard to imagine something more analogue than the flow of water through a pipe. Does it splash you all over in wonderful binary pulses or is it something more mundane like a shower with a digital display on the front?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    What is a 'digital' shower, then? I'm finding it hard to imagine something more analogue than the flow of water through a pipe. Does it splash you all over in wonderful binary pulses or is it something more mundane like a shower with a digital display on the front?
    Yeah showers you in zeroes and ones 

Its just a way of controlling temperature and flow. Ive got an aqualisa one and its a great bit of equipment. Looks very cool and is easy for guests to use as you just press a button to get water coming out of the shower at the right temperature
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I guess if you are getting wet then it’s 1 and if not it’s 0. this is backed up with a digital
    Display showing that you are getting wet. If it’s on 0 and you Are not getting wet then it’s off or there’s a malfunction. For an extra £50 the digital display will show malfunction if it’s not working properly. But it could mean the it’s not switched and this is when you need to check whether you are getting wet or not. I hope that’s solved for those that become mystified with the technological age. 
  • Options
    Should be a straight forward Job.
    Just a case of removing the digital mixer unit and connecting on to the old hot and cold pipework. presuming there are still 2 pipes running to old/existing shower location?
    Think it might have been me who fitted the Mira excel for you a few years back?