Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Made me wonder if Charlton players read this forum

2»

Comments

• Options
    Danny Mills posted on here during his second time at the club. If I was a player, I’d definitely have a browse from time to time. Especially in advance of signing for a club tho as AFKA says, Twitter would probably be the obvious place. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Players 100% read fan forums. Maybe not all the players, but many will, then they'll discuss what fans are thinking on WhatsApp or whatever similar messaging vehicle they're using. And sometimes it's taken to heart, sometimes it isn't, but players by and large have respect for what fans of particularly clubs Championship and below are saying and thinking on forums (rather than Twitter/FB/mainstream social media). I know a lot of the Chelsea loanees do it, for instance.
    I’m not sure a couple of Chelsea loaness is a big enough sample size to say lots of players read fans forum. I imagine twitter is the go to place to be to read about yourself.
    Well, if they're reading while out on loan, and know a lot of their teammates do, and then a lot of people at their parent clubs are also saying that this happens, I don't think it's too unreasonable to extrapolate.

As for what AFKA says, he's bang on - it can't be good for one's mental health surely. 
    I recall reading recently, Jacko saying that Lee Bowyer "doesn't do Social Media" and then went on to say ........ actually I can't remember the rest. :smile:

• Options
    I used to naturally assume professional footballers were trained to not really give a toss what fans think. The positive and negative side of it.

They would just listen to the manager, who was the only person they would aim to please. They had the professional nature and thick skin to not allow fans put downs to get the better of them.

Thought the natural talent, work rate and competitive nature that led to them earning £20,000+ per week...made them semi human.

Obviously...that was an incorrect assumption.

Imagine if you was in a stadium where 30,000 people are telling you how shit you are.

I don't think anyone would be able to internally cope with something like that.

• Options
    I remember the previous incatnation of the 1905 show the club do as a match preview. One particular episode had Jacko sitting on a sofa with Pete Finch. Think he said something like "yeah I know they all say my legs have gone on there".
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Didn't Morgan Fox dad have an account on here? Or am I imagining that 🤔
    yeah maddad or something 
    Indeed - a top man, when fox left he dropped a signed match worn Charlton shirt and a couple of Sheffield Wednesday bits off to my house for my youngest son. 
    Has little legs offered you a £1 yet for the shirt
    Already have his poppy shirt from the Wednesday 2015 home game.
  • Options
    20 years ago you could have a stinker, expect a bit from the crowd, maybe some cock would give you verbals in a bar but that would be it.

if you  have a bogle in this day and age, there is no escape.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Maddad was a good poster on here as Morgan came through the youth - good, insightful posts.  Always thought he must have been very balanced to read some of the shit posted about his son when he was playing for us and not bite.

I was standing outside Craven Cottage waiting for my mate after we lost there a few years back. Our crowd had been acidic that day. Really ripping into the team, the regime, the stewards - anyone they could aim their vitriol at. Morgan came out to meet his family right in front of me, he seemed so sad. His parents gave him a hug and he said "Can we just get out of here please?" It was such a heartbreaking moment. 

I do think players read forums. I've seen a lot of them up close recently, heard a lot of conversations, and they do talk about what the fans are saying. 
    The last time we lost at Fulham (3-0) was 20/2/2016.
    https://www.11v11.com/matches/fulham-v-charlton-athletic-20-february-2016-316296/
    Albie Morgan had just turned 16 and didn't feature in the first team until 2018, some 2.5 years later.
    I'm somewhat surprised you recognised this lad whose 16th birthday was only a few weeks previous.
    I think he was referring to Morgan Fox 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:

Maddad was a good poster on here as Morgan came through the youth - good, insightful posts.  Always thought he must have been very balanced to read some of the shit posted about his son when he was playing for us and not bite.

I was standing outside Craven Cottage waiting for my mate after we lost there a few years back. Our crowd had been acidic that day. Really ripping into the team, the regime, the stewards - anyone they could aim their vitriol at. Morgan came out to meet his family right in front of me, he seemed so sad. His parents gave him a hug and he said "Can we just get out of here please?" It was such a heartbreaking moment. 

I do think players read forums. I've seen a lot of them up close recently, heard a lot of conversations, and they do talk about what the fans are saying. 
    https://www.11v11.com/matches/fulham-v-charlton-athletic-20-february-2016-316296/
    Albie Morgan had just turned 16 and didn't feature in the first team until 2018, some 2.5 years later.
    I'm somewhat surprised you recognised this lad whose 16th birthday was only a few weeks previous.
    Apologies Jimmy, I've whooshed myself there silly twat. I didn't realise you were

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Steve Gallen said he reads CL occasionally to gauge fan opinion, didn't he?

I've long theorised the club have a process for following fan opinion on here and 'managing our views' (for want of a better term) via content they put out during the week.
  • Options
    I'll be amazed if footballers care what fans post on social media.
  • Options
    I'll be amazed if footballers care what fans post on social media.
    Some do - most definitely.
    From direct experience I would say that some footballers (not all) are the most egocentric people I've met - and with pretty fragile egos to boot!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

Morgan Fox.
    Je pense que tu as été "Wooshed", monsieur.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I would imagine some of the players check in occasionally and still think @Sage is Bowyer as he always calls team selections right in the pre game analysis threads.  

Don't we also have an ex scout in @Tutt-Tutt ?
    Agreed. Used to make me cringe specially as he used to discuss with people slagging off his son. Never mentioned it for years until he had gotten in to a row with a poster on here at a match. 

Svensson went on net Addick’s late one night to claim he wasn’t going to Udinese. I wouldn’t mind, no one had mentioned he was. 

Sat in the west stand for a season, his dad used to get into it with people giving Fox pelters. Problem was i don't think he expected people to stick to their convictions once he challenged them. Almost fisticuffs on one occasion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

When Marvin Sordell signed, a Bolton fan told me that he was absolutely addicted to twitter, I wonder if the venom flying around on there contributed to his mental health problems. I'd be very surprised if it didn't.

I always think that for a footballer, twitter (and a lot of other social media) is a bad place to be if you're in any way sensitive. Like any other group of people, some will have thick skins and others will take it to heart.

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

Morgan Fox.
    Je pense que tu as été "Wooshed", monsieur.
    Covered End has just said he's already wooshed himself lol
  • Options
    I don’t think so personally. 10-15 years ago maybe, but Twitter more than serves that purpose nowadays. 

Personally I don’t think it’s a healthy thing for them to do. Early in their career I can appreciate the desire (searching for reassurance and the novelty of people talking about you). But over time it’s human nature not to take to personal criticism that inevitably emerges and I think the majority of them for their own sanity learn it’s easily avoided and probably for the best. 

We have had a lot of family sign up on here over the years and I've secretly cringed when someone is in exchange with a players, brother, dad, mum etc and the other person has insinuated what do you know? Lol 
    Something in the back of my mind is telling me that a few years back someone on the junior coaching side had set about strongly advising youth and young players not to sign up to or read social media forums/platforms.....can’t remember who or when that was though?
    No doubt nowadays, they will simply do as they wish anyway!
  • Options
    Two Sheds was Sasa Ilic.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:

Oh shit, I thought we were talking about Morgan Fox! My fault for not paying attention. At least you got a lot of laughs out it. 

Edit - posted without noticing the corrections. As you were.