Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mince Pies

1) Love them or, or hate them?

2) Shop or homemade?

3) If shop bought, what ones have you tried so far?

Now I must confess I am partial to trying mince pies from different suppliers / supermarkets ( not just Asda’s as the name may suggest!

I absolutely love them!

I reckon I’ve got through about 5 boxes since the start of December (fear not I’m not going to turn into a barrel as I’m burning them off on my exercise bike)

I will try and list the ones I’ve have so far (when I can remember them all) but I think my favourite so far has got to be Tesco’s iced mince pies.

Any other mince pie fans out there?

Comments

• Forgot to add for those that make their own, can you post your recipe please, I’ve never tried cooking them but will have a go!
  • Love them

Both

Tesco, Sainsbury, Mr Kipling

• edited December 2020
    Love 'em.

M&S are the staples - and I prefer puff pastry to shortcrust.

Must be served hot.
  • Love them.

Shop Bought

M&S and Tesco.
  • Love them

Shop

Aldi are the best I’ve had so far this year by a long way. Really surprised me when I found out where they were from.
  • Hideous things......like eating a grit and sugar pie. 
    absolutely this, rank 
  • Very nice, I once sat through 12 in one day years ago.
    That turned out to be not very wise :'(
  • M&S puff pastry
  • Both, wife makes a very good mince pie. Aldi are decent, they do a salt caramel version that I like and the pies from Cook are nice too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hideous things......like eating a grit and sugar pie. 
    Agreed.
  • Enjoy them, many years ago my wife used to make her own including the very alcoholic mincemeat, they were by far the best I ever tasted. Now she only buy Greggs they are not bad but not a touch on her home made ones, mind you we throw the last lot away as they weren’t cooked properly almost like eating raw dough.
  • Love em

Both 

Hestons 
  • I was watching a programme on them and there is a variance on sweetness so much of it will come down to individual taste. Harrods are selling a pack for a tenner and some supermarkets are discounting to below 50p.
  • My missus makes about five different types of mince pie and they're all delicious. 

The best shop bought ones I've had are the M&S  ones that are soaked in Cognac. The smell of the brandy when you open the packet is awesome.

Got some of the Heston Waitrose Christmas Eve mince pies but are saving them for, errr, Christmas Eve.

Will eat them hot or cold, but love taking the lids off and adding a dollop of clotted cream.
  • Had some really nice salted caramel mince pies from either Aldi or Lidl the other day.
  • We always make some with the kids on 1st December, family tradition.
  • m&s puff pastry mince pies hot, with extra thick cream

• 1. Neither. Quite indifferent to them. In a list of possible Christmas desserts, they would probably come last, but I do, for the sake of tradition “join in”.

2. Shop

3. My dad will insist that everything is overpriced and last year was adamant that Greggs were better than any more expensive version, so I bought some from there and some from the independent bakers virtually next door to do a taste test. The differences in quality and flavour from the independent far outweighed the small difference in price.
  • Sponsored links:

• I love mince pies.

I only eat shop-bought ones if I'm at someone's house.

At home, I make my own. I use mincemeat from a jar but add extra ingredients such as chopped nuts and other dried fruits depending on what I have in the baking cupboard, and I always stir in brandy or amaretto. I baked 12 last night which should last over the weekend! 

I use some different recipes other than the basic pastry-top. Mince pies topped with frangipane (almond paste) are really good. I also bake cookie cups, which use a cookie dough instead of pastry.

https://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/christmas/frangipane-mince-pies

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/desserts/cookie-cup-mince-pies

I stock up on jars of mincemeat in January when the supermarkets flog them off cheap so I can have mince pies all year round! 
  • Can take or leave them and would usually rather eat/drink the calories on something else.

If I do eat them, prefer them hot with cream.
  • edited December 2020
    shine166 said:

With buckets of cream. ✊🏻💦
  • Aldi almond mince tart & Aldi frangipane mince pies 😋
  • bobmunro said:
    Love 'em.

M&S are the staples - and I prefer puff pastry to shortcrust.

Must be served hot.
    What Bob said for me
  • edited December 2020

2) Shop or homemade?

Yummee

Both, usually prefer shop bought, but we saw a recipe on TV with Loraine Pascal starfish shaped ones, which the old trout took a bash at. They were very good so we've had to buy more Puff Pastry!

Prefer the cheaper pies without too much messing about (ie lattice, weird fruits, odd flavourings  or so much alcohol that it needs to burn off first like at an oil refinery) after very careful comparative research the winner was Waitrose Essential.
  • Short crust obviously, Tesco do a nice one.
  • Hal1x said:

2) Shop or homemade?

Yummee

Both, usually prefer shop bought, but we saw a recipe on TV with Loraine Pascal starfish shaped ones, which the old trout took a bash at. They were very good so we've had to buy more Puff Pastry!

Prefer the cheaper pies without too much messing about (ie lattice, weird fruits, odd flavourings  or so much alcohol that it needs to burn off first like at an oil refinery) after very careful comparative research the winner was Waitrose Essential.
    I cant fucking stand her
  • Mince Pies are probably 1/10, would probably prefer them with mince in like the good old days. 
  • 1) I don't love them but certainly don't hate them

2) whatever my mum is punting when I pop round

3) usually m&s but there will always be a home made batch at some point over Christmas