Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Bowyer reveals pre-match calls to Charlton owner Thomas Sandgaard

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/its-good-to-talk-lee-bowyer-reveals-pre-match-calls-to-charlton-owner-thomas-sandgaard/

Lee Bowyer has started making pre-match calls to Thomas Sandgaard so that the Charlton owner is fully clued up on their tactics.

The Dane has flown back to his Colorado home after jetting in to watch Saturday’s 5-2 win over AFC Wimbledon at The Valley.

And Addicks manager Bowyer has revealed a new approach when Sandgaard is in the States and streaming the matches.

“I speak to him the day before the game so I can explain what we’re trying to do,” said the Charlton boss. “So that when he watches it makes more sense than just watching a game of football. I mentioned about us doing it a couple of weeks ago – he said that would be great and that he might learn a thing or two.

“It paints a picture. It doesn’t always come off, but two or three of the goals in the Wimbledon game was stuff we worked on. By talking it through it makes more sense when he sees us playing a certain way or doing certain things.”

Reminds me of another owner in our recent past....

Comments

• Options
    Bowyers idea. No similarity to previous owners 
  • Options
    Sound like a smart idea. We haven’t got the personnel to play the style of football that we did so 2019 so nothing wrong with explaining the strategy about why we aren’t playing tikka takka football.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    It's the sort of thing  racehorse trainers do with their wealthy owners

Good move that by Bows
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All sounds like a good idea as long as TS doesn’t start trying to influence Bowyer’s tactical decisions, which it doesn’t strike me he would.

Always sensible to have open communication with your boss. 
  • Options
    We have seen what a good relationship between manager and Chairman can do for a club with Curbs and Richard M. Let’s hope this relationship is even more successful 
  • Options
    TS was probably trying to understand how we aim to win games by passing back to Amos from the attacking half.
  • Options
    If Bowyer thought that TS would start interfering, the last thing he would do is this.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    "Thomas, the first half game plan is for Pratters to pass to Watson, then back to Gunter then across to Pratters then back to Amos who passes it to Pearce who passes it to Watson who passes it back to Pratters who passes it to Pearce who leaves it for Maatsen who takes it forward then passes it back to Pearce..."

"And then in the 60th minute we'll bring on Chuks and Jonny, play really good attacking football and score a couple of goals"
    "So, why don't we just play them from the start, Lee?"

"They're both made of glass, Tommy, with hammy's like banjo strings."
  • Options
    MattF said:
    "Thomas, the first half game plan is for Pratters to pass to Watson, then back to Gunter then across to Pratters then back to Amos who passes it to Pearce who passes it to Watson who passes it back to Pratters who passes it to Pearce who leaves it for Maatsen who takes it forward then passes it back to Pearce..."

"And then in the 60th minute we'll bring on Chuks and Jonny, play really good attacking football and score a couple of goals"
    Scarily this is probably very close to the truth
    not just close, it IS the truth 
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/its-good-to-talk-lee-bowyer-reveals-pre-match-calls-to-charlton-owner-thomas-sandgaard/

Lee Bowyer has started making pre-match calls to Thomas Sandgaard so that the Charlton owner is fully clued up on their tactics.

The Dane has flown back to his Colorado home after jetting in to watch Saturday’s 5-2 win over AFC Wimbledon at The Valley.

And Addicks manager Bowyer has revealed a new approach when Sandgaard is in the States and streaming the matches.

“I speak to him the day before the game so I can explain what we’re trying to do,” said the Charlton boss. “So that when he watches it makes more sense than just watching a game of football. I mentioned about us doing it a couple of weeks ago – he said that would be great and that he might learn a thing or two.

“It paints a picture. It doesn’t always come off, but two or three of the goals in the Wimbledon game was stuff we worked on. By talking it through it makes more sense when he sees us playing a certain way or doing certain things.”

Reminds me of another owner in our recent past....

Religiously watched all the games on a special link to Belgium according to his little pet Katrien .........yeah, like f*** he did.🙄
  • Options
    TS will soon see through Bowyer if these chats continue.
  • Options
    I think his after match chats might soon become very "interesting" if he keeps on effing it up with his ridiculous substitutes and going defensive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The post-match chat is is going to be a tad awkward, methinks....
  • Options
    Ring ring
    Ring ring

"Er, hi boss..."
  • Options
    Turn your mobile off Lee!
  • Options
    TS "Try being a bit less defensive late on in games yeah? Cheers mate!"
  • Options
    This time the manager tells the owner why we’re playing a midfield diamond.

The difference to Roland is that was the owner telling the manager why we should play a midfield diamond.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    "Hi Boss, bin off Ronnie Schwartz in January. We desperately need more defenders. I only managed to get six on the pitch at the same time today".
    Sums it up really. We are weak at centre back really even with Pearce. so why have 3 and drop back deeper and deeper. People like Brett Pitman aren't fools and know this helps them if we try to defend fo TWENTY MNUTES to see out a game.
    It meant he (Pitman) didn't have to run as well, which suited him fine.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    "Hi Boss, bin off Ronnie Schwartz in January. We desperately need more defenders. I only managed to get six on the pitch at the same time today".
    Sums it up really. We are weak at centre back really even with Pearce. so why have 3 and drop back deeper and deeper. People like Brett Pitman aren't fools and know this helps them if we try to defend fo TWENTY MNUTES to see out a game.
    I know this was said in jest but it wouldn't be that surprising would it especially with the 5 sub rule now, he has room to get 9 defenders on the pitch
  • Options
    Hey Lee, you know this thing where you discuss your game plan with Thomas before the match, so that he understands what you are trying to achieve even if it doesn't come off.
    Do you mind running it by me too?