Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Do We Concede So Many Late Goals?

2»

Comments

• Options
    If Swindon were really knocking on the door before the subs, it might be understandable. But I was watching a team that looked devoid of confidence and struggled to put any significant moves together until we sat back. 
    And to add to that they looked poor in defence. Just look at our first goal. Comical defending that you wouldn't even see from a pub team. Then there was the acres of space that Bogle was in when he missed a chance shortly afterwards. They aren't in the bottom 4 for no reason. 

Sometimes I do wonder about Bowyer. If I was a stranger to football I wouldn't have guessed that he played at the top level for a number of years. Just knowing that a team who have lost their last 4 will be short on confidence so when they let 1 in you all know their heads will drop and their thinking is then  "oh no....here we go again". So you attack them & create chances.....shoot when you can. Get on top & don't let them get out of their half. But in the 2nd half Bowyer does the opposite. We finally get ahead in the game & instead of going for the 3rd we try and protect the 2-1lead. 
    Agree with that, LB surely realises that though I’d of thought, but it is a worryingly consistent occurrence now 
  • Options
    ''Why do we concede so many late goals''

Answer not rocket science, we bring on the wrong subs.
    I like Matthews as a player but twice late in the recent away
    games we have bougnt him on and invited the opponents to attack
    us. Surely Lee and JJ can see this! Swindon were there for the taking
    and we failed badly.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Shutting up shop with 20 to go won’t work .  Saturday Reminded me a bit of the attack against defence training drill. 

A prime example of how we should have done it was the AFC Wimbledon game,we were  forced to throw attacking players on, we went ahead , and as Wimbledon chased the game there was space and possession to hurt them.

and they were pony 
  • Options
    No wonder we are all feeling a bit  :/ . In the last month we:

- Saw Pratters miss an open goal in the 90th minute which could have +1 point
    - Conceded a penalty to Shrewsbury in the 90th minute to -2 points
    - Conceded from a set piece to an awful Swindon team in the 90th minute to -2 points

That's 5 bloody points thrown in the space of 8 minutes of football? We know what the league table would look like otherwise.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    mendonca said:
    No wonder we are all feeling a bit  :/ . In the last month we:

- Saw Pratters miss an open goal in the 90th minute which could have +1 point
    - Conceded a penalty to Shrewsbury in the 90th minute to -2 points
    - Conceded from a set piece to an awful Swindon team in the 90th minute to -2 points

That's 5 bloody points thrown in the space of 8 minutes of football? We know what the league table would look like otherwise.
    No doubt other teams will be looking at moments in their games too

Could argue that we should never have had the penalty against us @ Lincoln, second half would have been very different
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I am a firm believer that if you score one goal the other team have to score two to win.
  • Options
    Definitely, but we aren't fans of the others teams...I hope  :open_mouth:
  • Options
    The Wimbledon game where we played some of our best football for ages in the 2nd half was purely down to the fact that we were behind and had no choice but to make positive substitutions to try and turn the game around. Once we had our subs had been used to we couldnt make the negative subs as per normal. If we had been winning at halftime I bet that match would have ended up a draw. I have no idea if it is a confidence issue but even an idiot can see we are making the same mistakes time and again. We give these teams hope when we make these changes as they know they can pile forward with little chance of being counter attached as we have no outlet. Even bad teams will score in the end if they keep send balls into the box, it is just ridiculous
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    The fourth helped as it finished them off. There is a lot to be said for finishing teams off. Of course that isn't always possible, but I think it is clearer to many of us which teams should be finished off than Bowyer sometimes. There are going to be more of those in League One of course. Swindon were so devoid of confidence, they would have capitulated if we had really gone for them at 2-1 up. I've been watching football long enough to know when a team is on the ropes. Mind you, mostly it is blindingly obvious.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Teams should always play to their own strengths.

When Famewo and the giant Inniss were in tandem at CB, we looked pretty impregnable in defence.
    And the sequence of clean sheets underlined it.

Perhaps you can sit on a lead when you have virtually 100% confidence in your defence.

But without Famewo and Inniss, we're not so watertight - and you could hardly call defence our main asset.
    It's generally competent for the level but right now, it's not our strength.

In which case, surely you devise a gameplan that doesn't allow our defence to be pinned back and pressured?
    And playing another team so defensively vulnerable as Swindon, rather than invite pressure on your own weakened defence, surely you go for the jugular?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think the Swindon late goal was down to whoever should have been marking Pitman at the corner not doing his job
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Think the Swindon late goal was down to whoever should have been marking Pitman at the corner not doing his job
    Annoyingly, it's hard to spot who that was. Unless it was zonal? But that would illustrate a plan I suppose, albeit a debatable one in itself.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    801912601 said:
    Yeah, fair enough. I get that.

But that doesn't alter the fact that after going 2-1 up, for the next 30 mins we retreated to our 18 yard line and invited them to pressure us.

By doing that, Bowyer may hope we catch the opponent on the counter, but that's not so likely with only Aneke as outlet and our pace players missing with injury.

So the ball continually comes back and the pressure is relieved by conceding a set piece.
    Which Swindon/Shrewsbury/Gillingham scored from.