Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Remembering the greatest comeback of all time

2»

Comments

• Options
    Leary's legs have gone -  too much cricket. I reckon the Peanut Man would beat him over 100 yards.

Pass the Ovaltine would you please Mother thank you.

Kiernan's house is nowhere as good as Hurst's. I'd pick Hurst every time.

Come on Trotter what the hell do they do in training?

I'm giving up on this and going to listen to a bit of Tommy Steele. 
  • Options
    Sevensix said:
    I was there, aged 11.  Hence my username.  i used to stand with my Dad way up on the East Terrace and lots of people certainly did come up past us towards the Bartram Gate as we fell further behind but many stopped or came back in again as they heard the sound of our goals going in.

We could do now with a player with a strike rate anywhere near as good as Johnny Summers - 100 in 177 games.  But then that's been true every season since Summers. Tragic that he died aged 34 only a year after retiring from Charlton.

I never knew that re Summers , from wiki “ He died at the age of just 34 in 1962 of cancer”....... tragic 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Sevensix said:
    I was there, aged 11.  Hence my username.  i used to stand with my Dad way up on the East Terrace and lots of people certainly did come up past us towards the Bartram Gate as we fell further behind but many stopped or came back in again as they heard the sound of our goals going in.

We could do now with a player with a strike rate anywhere near as good as Johnny Summers - 100 in 177 games.  But then that's been true every season since Summers. Tragic that he died aged 34 only a year after retiring from Charlton.

I never knew that re Summers , from wiki “ He died at the age of just 34 in 1962 of cancer”....... tragic 
    In ‘62 his son John was 15 and I was 14, we lived close by and were good mates....he and I travelled out to San Sebastián to stay with my Basque relatives that summer.
    I knew his dad very well of course, it was so sad when he died and as a 14 year old kid, one of my first close encounters with the death of someone I knew.
  • Options
    I was there...I was swimming round my old man's scrotum.
  • Options
    Ffs.
  • Options
    Sevensix said:

Just checked his stats on wiki and what a striker he was.

0 in 4 for Fulham
    33 in 71 for Norwich
    41 in 91 for Millwall
    100 in 171 for us.

174 goals in 337 games. On goal in less than two games, clubs be paying good money for a striker like that nowadays.
  • Options
    I'm beginning to lose patience with Ufton.  Why can't Trotter just stick him out on the left wing where he can make a nuisance of himself?  It's only a shoulder after all ... and this is football ... not tennis.

I suppose this means that he'll miss the Christmas Day match against Doncaster.  Should be OK for Boxing Day though.

Southport losing again.
  • Options
    With our defensive subs and how we sit back, more likely to happen the other way round at the moment. Except we wouldn't score the 6th goal!
  • Options

On a day when we were good for 7 (SEVEN) goals Leary couldn't manage a single one. Come on, Stuart - get a grip!

• Options
    edited December 2020
    That was never a penalty, Ref.  Should have gone to Coton & Hamblin's.

My mate did a quick sketch of the incident and you can see that the hand never touched the ball.  Outrageous.

Wrexham are winning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I’ve never left a game early but this is dire. I’m off.
  • Options
    good come back but sort the defence out ffs