Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    Remember Lawrence has been in the Essex team since a teenager, so a lot of low scores and inconsistency. I expect his average to pick up a bit
  • Options
    A good Test start for Lawrence, but this is a very easy place for him to start
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    McBobbin said:
    Remember Lawrence has been in the Essex team since a teenager, so a lot of low scores and inconsistency. I expect his average to pick up a bit
    it’s the same rubbish that was trotted out about Crawley. They’re both seriously talented and have been moved around the order a bit and have found their feet. Judging players by averages is very 1990’s england selectors btw ; ie a shit way of judging players. 

Edit: just seen original comment which basically said what I’ve just repeated!
  • Options
    This is where a snidey player like me and my 14 year old son would have made sure we didn’t take the wicket to let the gun batsmen back in .... we may be shit but our brains can help .

played at Chingford last season in a Sunday friendly and the sun comes down very low behind the bowlers arm at one end,  so the last 20 overs or so when we batted were all bowled from the other end !
  • Options
    Other than in the spin department that's a lot of depth. And additionally if we were only concerned with short term success, we could have picked Keaton Jennings as an opener, as he's proven to be very good in Asia and we have 6 tests there in the next few months
  • Options
    Other than in the spin department that's a lot of depth. And additionally if we were only concerned with short term success, we could have picked Keaton Jennings as an opener, as he's proven to be very good in Asia and we have 6 tests there in the next few months
    Yep could defo do a batting lineup of the below if you wanted to tailor it to the sub-continent.

Jennings
    Crawley
    Bairstow
    Root
    Lawrence
    Foakes

• Options
    Also hopefully in Virdi we have a world class spinner coming through. Hopefuklly one of Crane and Parkinson can become the natural successor to Rashid too.
  • Options
    Also hopefully in Virdi we have a world class spinner coming through. Hopefuklly one of Crane and Parkinson can become the natural successor to Rashid too.
    A lot of spinners seem to be going down the white ball route, where spinners are very effective but the skillset required is different from red ball cricket
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot of spinners seem to be going down the white ball route, where spinners are very effective but the skillset required is different from red ball cricket
    I agree, but Virdi hasn't gone down that route. He hasn't played any T20 for surrey and barely any (if at all) one day games. He's very much focused on red ball.
  • Options
    Why do Aussie cricketers all have those annoying faces that makes Ian botham want to punch them
    Convict stock 
  • Options
    Why do Aussie cricketers all have those annoying faces that makes Ian botham want to punch them
    Convict stock 
    warner, smith, hayden and hughes off the top of my head all look like they're out of a shitty period piece about victorian cockney gangsters.
  • Options
    Convict stock 
    warner, smith, hayden and hughes off the top of my head all look like they're out of a shitty period piece about victorian cockney gangsters.
    You mean Merv, right? Or Kim, maybe?  Surely not Phillip?  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Convict stock 
    Surely I can't be the only one thinking this was a completely needless comment that rather distastefully brings in a superb young batsman who tragically passed away in their prime.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Chizz said:
    Convict stock 
    Surely I can't be the only one thinking this was a completely needless comment that rather distastefully brings in a superb young batsman who tragically passed away in their prime.
    You’re not.
  • Options
    Sri Lanka opened the door and generously invited England in to win this game and, pleasingly, the invitation seems to have been accepted.
    Dom Bess will never get an easier 5 wicket haul.  He was handed each of them as undeserved reward for a very moderate spell, lacking consistency, control or much genuine threat in helpful conditions.  In contrast, Stuart Broad earned every one of his wickets with skill and adaptability.
    Apart from some, let's call it youthful inexperience, at the top of England's batting order, led by the Captain, good advantage has been taken of the weakness of the opposition.  As the pitch deteriorates Joe Root may need to vary his back foot in all circumstances defence to the spinning ball.  As it starts to bite and spit he'll need a plan B.  Any attentive or competent field setting may curtail his milking of the sweep shot.
    Hopefully Saturday will permit another 2 session net for the England batsmen, quick thrash after tea and insert the hosts with 90 minutes to play and set up an early Sunday victory. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Chizz said:
    Convict stock 
    What? I asked for clarification as to which one he meant and assumed that, surely, he didn't mean Phillip. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Chizz said:
    Convict stock 
    What? I asked for clarification as to which one he meant and assumed that, surely, he didn't mean Phillip. 
    He's doubled down, everyone!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Chizz said:
    Convict stock 

It was quite clear who he meant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England missing Joe Denly's demon leg spin...
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Commiserations to Audi Mendis for failing to qualify for the Olympics today
  • Options
    England missing Joe Denly's demon leg spin...
    They've got Sibleys leg grenades.
  • Options
    promising start from Lawrence, Root is right back on it
  • Options
    Very good recovery from Sri Lanka. Only 13 runs behind now and still 5 wickets left. On the positive side England’s bowlers clearly needed this extended practice in unfriendly conditions. 
  • Options
    Good wicket for Bess there.
    We really needed that 
  • Options
    7 down now
    Leach with the wicket 
  • Options
    Another one from Leach. Much better from the spinners 
  • Options
    Their lead is rising quickly, need to get the last two.
  • Options
    One to go.