Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Broken ankle

I managed to dislocate and break my ankle on the 7th December when i slipped on the downward steps of Kilburn station. Taken to the Royal Free that took care of the dislocation and then transferred to Barnet Hospital where a plate was screwed to my heel to fasten the fracture of the fibula (or something like that). I’m home now where my zimmer frame is my friend (Im too unsteady using the crutches) as I hop around my flat doing tasks on one leg as I’m not allowed to put any weight on my foot. Quite challenging and very exhausting to say the least. On top of that they say my knee is riddled with arthritis (same leg) and I need a knee replacement). Ive not been able to speak to a medical person and I’ve no idea how long it will take to recover. I’m sure there are some lifers that have also broken their ankle that could offer some advice. Such as the how long will it take toput some weight on my foot and to getting full mobility. I dont mind using a walking stick or one crutch to get about. And then there’s physio. Ive no idea on what exercises I would need to do apart from wiggling my ankle once the stitches are removed. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Comments

• I'm sorry to here of your break mate, something like that is never good but at this time of year it must seem worse. I have no expertise in this area so cannot comment but I'm sure there will be some others on here that will be able to assist. 

Have a great Xmas and hopefully you get sorted
  • that is VERY bad luck .. numerous websites advise on exercises to strengthen joints ..  time of recovery is very age related  .. have a Google .. get walking well soon
  • I broke my ankle playing football over 30 years ago.
    I think the first 6 weeks is all about immobilising the area, allowing it to heal and reduce swelling.
    After that you will gradually increase mobility, but it will feel strange, eg pins and needles in your foot, at first.
    From memory, once you can start proper physio, it will be about stretching and strengthening the muscles, ligaments and tendons, which have been redundant during the healing process. It will feel odd but, as the weeks go by, you should start to feel things returning to normal.
    I'd have thought 3-4 months is a realistic timescale overall.
    (I have no medical background, I'm only giving my opinion)

• Broke my ankle a long time ago (playing for Thames Poly). The ankle itself was not too much of a problem but my ligaments were ripped to shreds and took 6 months or so to properly heal. Never had the same pace following this injury and, given that I had a distinct paucity of skill, it was a bit of a problem for me.

Only advice is to be patient and not rush the recovery. Physio helps obviously but breaks only truly heal with rest.
  • edited December 2020
    Sorry to hear that SG. I fractured my Fibula just above the ankle back in May, and I am still not right.  Fortunately it was a simple fracture so no medical intervention required except for a glorious surgical boot which I kept on for about 12 weeks and used crutches as well. For your recovery a lot will depend on the severity of the injury and how your body copes with it.  I would be hesitant in telling what you should and shouldn't do, but I tried to keep the ankle and knee joints moving as much as I could.  I would recommend pushing for advice via your GP if you can about the way forward.   I had to push for Physio a few weeks back and despite my worries about the NHS being stretched at present, I did get some with some good exercises to be getting on with. My left leg muscles were over compensating because of the way I was walking, and  now with the exercises this is easing.   Bed time was the worst, not being able to turn over easily.  Most important keep your spirits up and your head high, a few people warned of being slightly depressed with the lack of ability to do day to day things which we take for granted.  Fortunately I didn't go that route.  Good luck mate. PM me if you want.
  • @Solidgone sorry to hear about your experience.
    I hope you are able to sort your ablutions OK because feeling clean and fresh can be a boost.
    Good luck.
  • I presume you will not be ready to play for Charlton this Saturday then?  :)
  • Solidgone said:
    I managed to dislocate and break my ankle on the 7th December when i slipped on the downward steps of Kilburn station. Taken to the Royal Free that took care of the dislocation and then transferred to Barnet Hospital where a plate was screwed to my heel to fasten the fracture of the fibula (or something like that). I’m home now where my zimmer frame is my friend (Im too unsteady using the crutches) as I hop around my flat doing tasks on one leg as I’m not allowed to put any weight on my foot. Quite challenging and very exhausting to say the least. On top of that they say my knee is riddled with arthritis (same leg) and I need a knee replacement). Ive not been able to speak to a medical person and I’ve no idea how long it will take to recover. I’m sure there are some lifers that have also broken their ankle that could offer some advice. Such as the how long will it take toput some weight on my foot and to getting full mobility. I dont mind using a walking stick or one crutch to get about. And then there’s physio. Ive no idea on what exercises I would need to do apart from wiggling my ankle once the stitches are removed. Any advice would be appreciated. 
    I am so sorry to hear of your accident! I don't have experience of a broken ankle, but when my husband was sent home from The Royal Brompton after heart surgery to replace the aortic valve, we were given no guidance etc which was very scary. BUT I looked on the hospital website for information about post surgery, and there was a whole booklet of information. 
    Worth trying for your hospitals?
    Good luck with the recovery. I hope you have someone to get shopping etc?
  • I rolled my ankle badly again, broken 4th metartasal and complete tear of the deltoid ligament. All this walking to the station and not football related about 8 weeks ago. 

I'm able to walk albeit with a limp and bad pain although no stability at all in my ankle. 

Surgery booked but keeps being delayed due to covid, tbh I'd rather not go into a hospital at the moment. So using a combination of solpadol and alcohol to numb the pain. 
  • don't let the club physio's anywhere near you...................joke!!

seriously all the best, hopefully it all heals as it should.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cant help with a broken ankle, but my Missus dislocated her hip, knee and ankle  in a training accident with one of our dogs ten years ago. While they were all put back successfully she suffers with arthritis in her knee and her hip has since been replaced. She also like to mention her torn hamstring that was done at the same time and she’ll mention it every time someone mentions hamstring injury on the football. 
  • ross1 said:
    I presume you will not be ready to play for Charlton this Saturday then?  :)
    He's got more chance of starting than Jonny Williams. 

• Oh god, I did my ACL while skiing incompetently on slopes above my ability and the bruises looked similar. 

I completed the first part of my recovery physio after an operation but was too lazy to get to the end and my muscles around the knee were really poor right up until first lockdown when I did the Joe Wickes workout every morning with my son. Since then have been to the gym a lot more and the leg is now probably better than before.

my recommendation would be that no matter how difficult it is to find the time to do the physio exercises recommended or how poncho they are at the start, do them every single day and your recovery will be so much better, 

I used Vanbrugh Physio who have just moved location to the old Greenwich hospital site. They sent me an email yesterday to say they are still open in Tier 4. They do video calls for initial assessment and in the new property can also see people face to face as is built for social distancing. 

I would recommend giving them a call as you can’t beat a personal assessment. 

I can’t remember the prices I’m afraid as I was covered by a healthcare insurance at the time. 
  • Broke my ankle playing football about 10 years ago now - as others have said, the break heels quite quickly but the length of time before a return to normal really depends on the extent of the ligament damage - mine was pretty bad but i think compounded by some pretty useless physio (NHS) which just involved turning up to a group session and using different things like wobble boards and stuff - one to one would have been much better i reckon - from memory, i was walking with a limp after about 3 or 4 months but must have taken 18 months - 2 years before i could play football again and then you have to build your muscles back up - best advice i can give is don't skimp on the physio   
  • Listening to some of your stories put my mild case of gout into perspective. Best of luck with the recuperations.
  • I broke my ankle years ago playing football right at the end of the season. Bloody painful experience but the doctor said one nice thing to me, “keep your leg up and rest for the next six/seven weeks.” I spent the next six weeks off work doing practically nothing other than sleeping and going to the pub. 
    It took months to get to playing football again. 
  • Sorry to hear this Tony. Did they send you home with no instructions? How are you getting shopping etc? 

Sounds a nightmare. I wish you a speedy recovery back to fighting fitness asap. 

• Did mine playing football (fib fracture and full ankle dislocation) had plates and pins, 10 weeks in plaster, once it’s out of plaster follow any physio advice you get from the hospital but the one piece of golden advice is that after 12-18 months you can have the plates and plates and pins removed, make sure you do, yes it’s another op but only about 6 weeks recovery and the range of movement you get back in the ankle is so worth it. I have a mate who still has the plates and pins in his ankle (10 years on) and he has nothing but agg with it.
    Good luck with your recovery.
  • i have the plate and pins still in and have no problem with them at all but maybe i've just been lucky 
  • Solidgone said:
    I done almost the same at Stratford Station in April 2019 breaking my ankle. I spent 8 weeks in plaster and then lots of basic stretching etc. Last year I missed the last games plus the final, at least that is not a problem this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Broke my leg (tib/fib) July 2019 and was told 6-8 months recovery. Still having issues 18 months on and have come to the conclusion that I'm as healed as I'm going to be. Physio will be key. Hope you're on the road to recovery soon.
  • Thanks everyone for your kind wishes and advice. I’ve just returned from hospital after having my cast and stitches removed, and foot now encased in a boot modelled on Frankenstein. Not much said other that the operation went very well. And it was very important not to put any weight on my foot. And they will see me in a couple of weeks time. I think that will be about a month since my op. It’s probably too early for physio at this stage. 
    @Curb_It Brenda i have Friends and neighbours taking care of shopping needs etc And two shipments of wine delivered.  Some people think my flat now resembles a Majestic Wine store 😉 say hi for me in the Herbert when it next opens. It might be a while until I can get there. 
  • Fractured my ankle coming off the motorbike when I was about 50.  After cast was removed walked with a limp for several months.  I think about 6 months before I was walking properly.  Just a matter of getting muscles and tendons back working. 
  • Broke my leg (tib/fib) July 2019 and was told 6-8 months recovery. Still having issues 18 months on and have come to the conclusion that I'm as healed as I'm going to be. Physio will be key. Hope you're on the road to recovery soon.
    I smashed my tib and fib nearly 30 years ago and had a long piece of steel inserted from my ankle to my knee and pins put into each end to hold it in place. I’ve never had any issues with it though initially it took a few months to learn how to walk again. I did take up martial arts for a while after that to learn how to fall and roll properly though. I also once spoke to a guy who’d had the same operation and had gone back to playing rugby.
  • Another one to add to the injury list. we really are cursed. 

i broke mine playing footy in my mid 20s and was in plaster with a pin for 6 weeks then pin removed and another 4 weeks in plaster. physio followed and i really wish i'd pushed myself through the pain barrier and maybe then i wouldn't have lost as much fleibility as i did. 

good luck