Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Coasters

edited December 2020 in General Charlton
No, I’m not talking about the players taking it easy over the Christmas period.

I received these as a Christmas gift from the mother in law yesterday, but the matches are a bit before my time. Does anyone have any insight into the significance of the matches chosen? I also have a “football history through newspaper headlines” book and couldn’t find any of them in there...

Even if they’re just random matches it’s still a nice gift - she always gets me something Charlton related!
‘Boro - 12th Sep 1953
Leyton Orient - 28th Dec 1964
Carlisle - 27th Feb 1976
Chelsea - 11th Apr 1977

Comments

• They're quality 
  • I’ve got that Boro programme somewhere.
  • Probably just random matches. It's one use for old programmes nobody seems to want anymore. 

• Had mine for years, they came from Greenwich Market.
    We live up in Manchester so god knows where she found them!
  • Random quiz questions based on those four coasters:

Top left - name the players in the picture (3 points) 
    Bottom left - name the starting line up for that game (11 points)
    Bottom right - name the player, the clubs he played for after leaving charlton, his occupation after retiring from football and his favourite brand of lawnmower (20 points)
    Top right - name every member of the crowd at the game the picture was taken (50,000 points)

• Had mine for years, they came from Greenwich Market.
    I got this one from the same place

• Got something like that from my parents a few years ago 

They are great!! 
  • Ben Watson was a “Charlton Coaster” for Plymouth’s first today! 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2020
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/6131/the-week-that-was-monday-11th-april-1977-charlton-4-chelsea-0

Chelsea game was one of the most frightening. I was only a kid.
    Chelsea fans set fires in the Covered End, fires in the South Stand.
    Harvey Gardens turnstiles demolished & Valley Club smashed up.
    Oh and we thumped them 4-0 in front of 30,000.
    I've always hated Chelsea with a passion ever since, absolute scum.

If you google it, there are other useful links as well.
  • https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/6131/the-week-that-was-monday-11th-april-1977-charlton-4-chelsea-0

I was on the terrace between the Covered End and the stand.
    Being only 11 at the time I don't recall the trouble after the game, I can only assume I left early.
  • https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/6131/the-week-that-was-monday-11th-april-1977-charlton-4-chelsea-0

I was on the terrace between the Covered End and the stand.
    Being only 11 at the time I don't recall the trouble after the game, I can only assume I left early.
    Me and my dad made a sharp exit via the Sam Bartram/Lansdowne Lane route.
  • RedRyan said:

I received these as a Christmas gift from the mother in law yesterday, but the matches are a bit before my time. Does anyone have any insight into the significance of the matches chosen? I also have a “football history through newspaper headlines” book and couldn’t find any of them in there...

Even if they’re just random matches it’s still a nice gift - she always gets me something Charlton related!
    ‘Boro - 12th Sep 1953
    Carlisle - 27th Feb 1976
    Chelsea - 11th Apr 1977
    Do us a favour please mate can you find out where she got them from please .
  • cazo said:
    RedRyan said:

‘Boro - 12th Sep 1953
    Carlisle - 27th Feb 1976
    Chelsea - 11th Apr 1977
    I bought mine from a stall on Greenwich Market
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    cazo said:
    RedRyan said:

‘Boro - 12th Sep 1953
    Carlisle - 27th Feb 1976
    Chelsea - 11th Apr 1977
    Which was still open in October when I last went there. They’ve got loads of football and music related ones on sale. I often treat myself to one when we go.

• The market is closed until further notice but as soon as the stall is back i'll let you know which ones they've got.
  • Yeah she says she got it from a maker’s market 👌
  • Ok thanks all
  • I have made coasters before to sell in the shop - they are probably done using special sublimation coasters. Basically you print whatever you want onto sublimation paper with special inks and heat press any picture onto the coaster. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:
    cazo said:
    RedRyan said:

‘Boro - 12th Sep 1953
    Carlisle - 27th Feb 1976
    Chelsea - 11th Apr 1977
    Which was still open in October when I last went there. They’ve got loads of football and music related ones on sale. I often treat myself to one when we go.

Got any spares mate?
  • Re the Chelsea game , I seem to remember the Chelsea fans tearing out some of the barriers in the covered end too 
  • LMHR said:
    Re the Chelsea game , I seem to remember the Chelsea fans tearing out some of the barriers in the covered end too 
    The entire ground was dismantled.