Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is 2020 the end of a decade or start of a new decade?

2»

Comments

• se9addick said:
    Chizz said:v
    1 January 2021 is the start of a new decade. 

(Unless you think the first year was year 0).
    Thé first year was 0 just like the first year of your life was 0. When a year passes you count one. So when we reached 2000, 2000 years had passed and that was the end of the millennium.

The first year (AD 1) was 1, there isn’t an AD 0. 
    There were plenty of years before then.
  • This is heavy reading for Boxing Day (or was Boxing Day the 26th? Another dilemma). I’m off to read the bonkers shenanigans thread from end to end for some lighter reading.
  • WSS said:
    se9addick said:

Thé first year was 0 just like the first year of your life was 0. When a year passes you count one. So when we reached 2000, 2000 years had passed and that was the end of the millennium.

There were plenty of years before then.
    You know what I mean!
  • Proper Charlton Life thread. Pointless and fascinating!

• se9addick said:

So the the 1980s actually started in 1981? Wouldn't that make the 1990 part of 1980s? 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 (a decade)
  • No the 1980’s was just that 1980 to 1989
    a decade can be any period of time that lasts 10 years. 

We are saying if you started from the birth of Jesus and added 10 years after 10 years after10 years then each period of those 10 years would be years ending in 1 

1AD to 10AD. 
    11AD to 20AD

2001AD to 2010AD
    2011AD to 2020 AD 
    2021AD to 2030AD 
  • We're in the twenties and so far its been shite.
  • Oh Rodney ........ look what you've done ........ you plonker!
  • MrOneLung said:
    What year was Jesus born ? 
    Around 4BC according to modern estimates.
  • If we started with 1st Jan Year 1, the decade would end at the end of 31/12/10 the new decade starts on 01/01/11

So if 2011 started the decade, 2021 would start the next.

Problem is the year numbering is arbitrary, it is complete bullshit.

The actual current year estimate could be about to turn...4,543,000,021
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    No the 1980’s was just that 1980 to 1989

We are saying if you started from the birth of Jesus and added 10 years after 10 years after10 years then each period of those 10 years would be years ending in 1 

1AD to 10AD. 
    11AD to 20AD

2001AD to 2010AD
    2011AD to 2020 AD 
    2021AD to 2030AD 
    So what I dont understand is, the moment Jesus slipped out of Mary's hairy minge. BANG! Straight away it was 1AD? even though one year had not passed.

Doesn't really make sense.
    If a goal is scored after 25 seconds, it’s called as the 1st Minute, even tho a minute hasn’t passed.
  • edited December 2020
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:

1AD to 10AD. 
    11AD to 20AD

2001AD to 2010AD
    2011AD to 2020 AD 
    2021AD to 2030AD 
    So what I dont understand is, the moment Jesus slipped out of Mary's hairy minge. BANG! Straight away it was 1AD? even though one year had not passed.

If a goal is scored after 25 seconds, it’s called as the 1st Minute, even tho a minute hasn’t passed.
    Try telling Jimmy Melrose that.

Plus, when I dropped from the clam of Pam, I wasn't one years old, I had to wait 12 months.
  • MrOneLung said:
    He wasn’t he’s fictional 
  • edited December 2020
    Can't believe how everyone is tying themselves in knots over this one.  It's really very simple.  In the 6th century the Romans decided that the calendar should be recalculated to reflect the fact (or belief, if you like) that Jesus was born at a particular date and that that should be called year 1 in the year of our Lord (which is what anno domini means in Latin).  There is no reason to suppose that they got the date right because it was just a guess based on some dodgy calculations.  It doesn't matter.  The fact is that they said that this is the point when  Jesus was born so that's year 1.  The year before was one year before Jesus was born so that was called 1 BC (or 1 year Before Christ).  There was no year 0 for the very good reason that 0 is not a Roman number - they didn't have a number for zero - it was introduced into Europe from the middle east in the twelfth century AD.  So the first decade from the point fixed by the Romans as the year in which Jesus was born (but probably wasn't) was from the start of the year 1AD to the end of the year 10AD - a period of exactly ten years. Then every decade that followed (up to the present day) also began at the start of a year ending in 1 and ended at the end of a year ending in 0.  So the current decade will end on 31 December 2020 - that is, if you are calculating time in complete decades since the year 1AD. 

If you want to say instead that a decade is any period of ten years, so you want to call, for example, 1980 -1989 the eighties decade, you'd be right to do so, but no more right than someone who might say that the "the eighties" are essentially characterised by the premiership of Margaret Thatcher, who came to power in 1979, so the eighties decade is actually the ten years from 4 May 1979 to  3 May 1989 (because that's a decade too)  or in fact anyone else who wanted the eighties to be any arbitrary 10 year period in which  an eighty something number appears.   Which is a pretty chaotic way to do things. So, the only sensible rule to follow is to count the decades from the year 1AD.  I know,  I know,  that means that the year 1990 was in the eighties and yes it was.  So you must either stop calling the period 1981-1990 "the eighties" (if you can't bear the thought of having a ninety appear in it) or accept that the eighties means the decade which starts in 1981 and ends in 1990 or, as lord romford suggests, not give a shit and call any period of 10 years whatever the flip you like.   
  • Exactly, which is why everyone celebrated the millennium one year early. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    He wasn’t he’s fictional 
    Er, no he isn’t. 
  • PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:

1AD to 10AD. 
    11AD to 20AD

2001AD to 2010AD
    2011AD to 2020 AD 
    2021AD to 2030AD 

How do you know Mary had a hairy minge?
    Got any pictures. 
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:

1AD to 10AD. 
    11AD to 20AD

2001AD to 2010AD
    2011AD to 2020 AD 
    2021AD to 2030AD 

Try telling Jimmy Melrose that.

Plus, when I dropped from the clam of Pam, I wasn't one years old, I had to wait 12 months.
    No you weren’t, you were in your first year though.
  • PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:

1AD to 10AD. 
    11AD to 20AD

2001AD to 2010AD
    2011AD to 2020 AD 
    2021AD to 2030AD 

How do you know Mary had a hairy minge?
    Got any pictures. 
    No camera.
    Will a sketch suffice?
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:
    se9addick said:

So the the 1980s actually started in 1981? Wouldn't that make the 1990 part of 1980s? 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 (a decade)
    No, a decade is any ten year period of time. The 1980’s lasted the ten year period from 1/1/1980 - 31/12/1989. 

The 2020’s began on 1/1/2020 and will finish on 31/12/2029 - but humanity, along with our system of measuring time, will have been wiped out by then so it won’t really matter. 
  • I promise that this is my last posting on this subject.  I certainly don't think I'm an expert on  time but there is now an issue about words. It is totally correct to say that the period of 1980 -1989 is a decade and if you want to call that period the 1980s then it seems a perfectly good way to describe it.  But that is using the word 'decade' in a different way to when people say, for instance, that this year is the start of the new decade or the end of the current decade.  Because, in the sense that a decade is any period of ten consecutive years, then every year is the start of a decade and the end of a decade too.  But that is not what people mean.   They are referring to the division of time into consecutive ten year chunks since it was first decided to record it in the way we do now  (more or less - there have been a few tweaks).  So the first decade AD was from 1AD to 10AD, the second from 11AD to 20AD and so on.   The same problem of having the last year untidily looking different to the others is repeated when it comes to centuries and millennia of course.  But that's just how it is and you can only get round it by having at some point in the past a decade with only 9 years which would make a century with only 99 years and a millennium with only 999 years. Which is even more untidy.  Funny things, numbers!
  • This thread would have blown my mind in my acid phase! The kinda question someone would pose then I’d sit for hours open mouthed  contemplating before coming to the conclusion that we are all blue toads!