Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Password Management Apps

Thinking about signing up for one as my failing memory and the inconsistency between apps and websites over password rules mean I’m forgetting them more and more often. Anyone use them? Are they any good? Any recommendations? 

Obviously would prefer a free one but would pay a modest subscription if it gives better functionality. Need something that’s compatible with Windows, iPhone/iPad, and android and will ideally sign into phone apps etc as well as just websites. Oh and allows a family account or whatever and the wife and I share logins for sine sites but not others. 

Comments

• 1 Password. Been using it for several years. I think it ticks all your boxes, but of course do your due diligence. On my Macs I increasingly rely on the Safari password saving system, but that will not be enough for banks and similar two stage logins. 
  • Just type them on here and we can let you know if you forget
    Good tip. Would you mind looking after my PIN number and date of birth too? Might as well throw my mother’s maiden name on the list too. 
  • Just type them on here and we can let you know if you forget
    Good tip. Would you mind looking after my PIN number and date of birth too? Might as well throw my mother’s maiden name on the list too. 
    That's asking a but much
  • LastPass is what you want.
  • Another thumbs up for LastPass. Use it for everything including banking.
  • edited December 2020
    So do you need to remember a password for a password management App...???
  • aWallet cloud.
    Used it for years
  • We keep all ours on a memory stick which is stored safely away. We know off by heart most of the day to day ones but if we are stuck we use the memory stick.  

I would not trust any third party app with such personal information and never keep them on your PC
  • Have used Keeper for several years.  Happy with it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I live in a tree and survive off subsistence agriculture - no need for passwords. 
  • I live in a tree and survive off subsistence agriculture - no need for passwords. 
    Sweet. You must have one of those special CL accounts thst doesn't need a password... 
  • Dashlane ... excellent free app 
  • msecure, seems ok to me been using it for about 3 years.
  • WSS said:
    Another thumbs up for LastPass. Use it for everything including banking.
    Whatever you do, do not forget the master password!!
  • WSS said:
    Another thumbs up for LastPass. Use it for everything including banking.
    Whatever you do, do not forget the master password!!
    Yeah, that goes for 1Password too, and presumably most others.
  • I wrote my own password management program. It seems to do the trick.
  • Off_it said:
    Write them down. Something like an exercise book filled with other scribblings rather than "my book of passwords".

Seriously. You are more likely to be hacked and all your passwords nicked online then some crackhead burglar coming across them in a book and realising what they are whilst shitting on your carpet and crawling back out the window with your laptop and car keys.
    Ah! I have a cunning plan to prevent that as well - I don’t have any carpet. 
  • Off_it said:
    Write them down. Something like an exercise book filled with other scribblings rather than "my book of passwords".

Seriously. You are more likely to be hacked and all your passwords nicked online then some crackhead burglar coming across them in a book and realising what they are whilst shitting on your carpet and crawling back out the window with your laptop and car keys.
    Looks like I am going to have to stop using shittingonyourcarpetandcrawlingbackoutthewindow12345 now
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Off_it said:

Looks like I am going to have to stop using shittingonyourcarpetandcrawlingbackoutthewindow12345 now
    No surprise, you're missing a special symbol.
  • Try with a capital S at the start chizz 
  • How are these password apps better than the saving functionality on an iPhone other than remembering you laptop/pc password?
  • I think it was Stephen Fry on QI who said the safest way to remember passwords is to write them down and keep them at home as you’re far less likely to have someone break in and steal your password book than any other form of theft! 

• Dino pass works for me. Can adapt it by adding extra characters for complexity.
  • Save the password in the browser. Use different ones on every site.Then, amend the password by using the existing one and adding something on the end But don’t save it in the browser. You can use the same few characters to stick on the end of all your passwords so you’ve only got one thing to remember. Then, when you log on the browser will offer you the old password and you just type your extra bit on the end.
  • every time I create a new password, I email the password to myself and keep in an 'outlook' password folder
  • Lincs, I know we ignore each other and it’s not my wish to break that deal, but other than posting your passwords on Facebook, it’s hard to imagine a more stupid and unsecure system than the one you apparently employ. So much so that I’m not sure if you’re joking or not.