Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ronnie Schwartz (Page 73 - contract cancelled)

Comments

• Adkins said he doesn't mind honest mistakes.

I think Schwartz might be an honest mistake by Sandgaard.
     Bowyer/Gallen had very little to do with his arrival imo.

Still. Hopefully Sandgaard will let the football people do their job while he continues to do his.
  • edited March 2021
    2 weeks is a long time to spend with players focused completely on getting to know them, so hopefully we’ll get to see the positives of Ronnie before the season finishes. Of course, it all depends on how Adkins decides this group of players need to play, and if that formation etc suits Ronnie.  

League One is a tougher league than a lot of people like to admit, yes there’s many terrible games, but we’ve seen time and time again if the top teams (not just us) don’t fully concentrate and combine together as a team against the lower sides, then they’ll drop points. 

Championship, you can possibly get away with leaving one bloke up top all game to knock in all the loose balls or decent crosses. But League One you can’t be playing games with 10 men while one of your players waits up field, because he’s a poacher only. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    SamB09 said:
    Genuine question but can anyone name another player in professional football that can be compared to Ronnie that won't do a thing all game but if he gets the ball to feet in the box he will score?
    Teddy Sherringham, Solksjaer
    You evidently didn’t see either play . 

SamB09 said:
    Genuine question but can anyone name another player in professional football that can be compared to Ronnie that won't do a thing all game but if he gets the ball to feet in the box he will score?
    Sir Edward of Sheringham was a brilliant player - I suggest you find some clips on YouTube and educate yourself about football
    I stand corrected, has been a while since they both played though so do forgive me. Some new suggestions... Javier Hernandez, Klose, Linekar , Owen, Huntelaar, Kevin Phillips.

• SamB09 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    SamB09 said:
    You evidently didn’t see either play . 

SamB09 said:
    Sir Edward of Sheringham was a brilliant player - I suggest you find some clips on YouTube and educate yourself about football
    I stand corrected, has been a while since they both played though so do forgive me. Some new suggestions... Javier Hernandez, Klose, Linekar , Owen, Huntelaar, Kevin Phillips.

Stop digging :-)
  • Although it came with a formation change that worked in the short term, I feel it's quiet telling that he was not player who came on when Washington was injured. 
    Despite Adkins telling us it was a tactical change to match up Wimbledon in midfield, using only a lone striker?

• Genuine question but can anyone name another player in professional football that can be compared to Ronnie that won't do a thing all game but if he gets the ball to feet in the box he will score?
    Jimmy Greaves. Or in more recent times Clive Mendonca. Or even Bradley Wright Phillips.

Thing is you have to set up the team to feed these players.
    Or not play them.

• Oggy Red said:
    Although it came with a formation change that worked in the short term, I feel it's quiet telling that he was not player who came on when Washington was injured. 
    Despite Adkins telling us it was a tactical change to match up Wimbledon in midfield, using only a lone striker?

Yes. If you read the first half of my post you didn't put in bold I do mention the formation change! 

Which, by the way, we changed back after the second goal with first DJ and then Millar playing up top next to Stockley.

In my own personal view if there was any confidence in Schwartz and his ability then he would have come on for Washington. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Although it came with a formation change that worked in the short term, I feel it's quiet telling that he was not player who came on when Washington was injured. 

Yes. If you read the first half of my post you didn't put in bold I do mention the formation change! 

Which, by the way, we changed back after the second goal with first DJ and then Millar playing up top next to Stockley.

In my own personal view if there was any confidence in Schwartz and his ability then he would have come on for Washington. 
    At that time, bringing on Schwartz for Washo would have kept the formation unchanged. Adkins wanted to change it.

Yes, you did mention the formation change ....... but that was the very reason Adkins explained exactly why he put on DJ, to match up Wimbledon in midfield.

I'm only repeating what Adkins himself told us.

• edited March 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

At that time, bringing on Schwartz for Washo would have kept the formation unchanged. Adkins wanted to change it.

Yes, you did mention the formation change ....... but that was the very reason Adkins explained exactly why he put on DJ, to match up Wimbledon in midfield.

So why didn't he stick with that formation then, reverting back to playing 2 up top.

If they thought Schwartz to be a good enough player, once again in my opinion, I believe they would have straight swapped him for Washington, especially when we spent more of the game with at least 2 up front then not.

I think if Ronnie is knocking on the door, and impressing, then the formation change and DJ is never even considered. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

So why didn't he stick with that formation then, reverting back to playing 2 up top.

If they thought Schwartz to be a good enough player, once again in my opinion, I believe they would have straight swapped him for Washington, especially when we spent more of the game with at least 2 up front then not.

I think if Ronnie is knocking on the door, and impressing, then the formation change and DJ is never even considered. 
    I reckon it was Jackson’s call. Adkins would have seen the squad train twice? I also think Jackson influenced the many formation changes in the second half
  • Sponsored links:

• Genuine question but can anyone name another player in professional football that can be compared to Ronnie that won't do a thing all game but if he gets the ball to feet in the box he will score?
    Killer !
    Killer !
    Killer used to beat up defenders for fun.
  • Having a player who knows how to hit the net is worth a lot of money. Finding one that’s fits perfectly with your preferred style of play is difficult and expensive. Usually beyond most league one clubs. Perhaps adapting play and playing to that players strengths is an option.  
  • Paul Gorman 
  • The guys been here nearly 2 months now, and people are still saying "oh he needs a chance" - he's had plenty of chances, but literally does nothing when he comes on
    really? :)
  • The guys been here nearly 2 months now, and people are still saying "oh he needs a chance" - he's had plenty of chances, but literally does nothing when he comes on
    Or its a bit like Karlan Grant

People are making their minds up on 10min cameos where Grant showed for us plenty of times that its difficult for some to come on and show / make a difference.

Of course not all are like Grant where they can eventually take their chance and prove everyone wrong but Schwartz has been managed in a very similar fashion. 
  • 'he's had plenty of chances' what you mean the odd 5 mins here and there ?!?!
    Yeah, having 3 minutes here and there and on a good day 20 minutes willl do him the world of good.

• Sponsored links:

Well he actually had substantially longer cameo's in his first 10 games at Charlton, but the longer he has been  here the less minutes he seems to be getting. You have to wonder why that is?

• One thing that Schwartz isn't getting is time to play himself into form and adjust. In the old days he might get three or four games with the reserves to do so. Players don't get the same opportunity to gain match sharpness nowadays outside the first team. He's not had the benefit of pre season friendlies that so many new recruits get either.

Assuming he's still with us let's judge him at the start of next season and after our new Manager has had time to assess his worth to us.
    Well he actually had substantially longer cameo's in his first 10 games at Charlton, but the longer he has been  here the less minutes he seems to be getting. You have to wonder why that is?

He's also had just four games where he's played more than 45mins

Rochdale: Scored
    Swindon: Hit the post, had a goal wrongly ruled out
    Portsmouth: Yeah invisible in that one
    Fleetwood: Why the fuck did we play him and then constantly play it in the air
  • edited March 2021
    One thing that Schwartz isn't getting is time to play himself into form and adjust. In the old days he might get three or four games with the reserves to do so. Players don't get the same opportunity to gain match sharpness nowadays outside the first team. He's not had the benefit of pre season friendlies that so many new recruits get either.

Assuming he's still with us let's judge him at the start of next season and after our new Manager has had time to assess his worth to us.
    Someone got it spot on the other day (might even have been you) when they said that Ronnie needed some U23 games - Be great in a sense if he's involved with them when they next play as feel that after Oxford, his confidence has been shot to pieces even more and just needs to find where the goal is in any game.

Even had he scored that penalty, would he have been in the starting eleven for the next game?

He's also had just four games where he's played more than 45mins

Rochdale: Scored
    Swindon: Hit the post, had a goal wrongly ruled out
    Portsmouth: Yeah invisible in that one
    Fleetwood: Why the fuck did we play him and then constantly play it in the air
    His finish was very good against Rochdale, probably the most excited I have been about a goal this year, behind Marcus Magic Maddison's finish against Plymouth. 

You have to ask yourself is he better, and does he offer more to the team then Stockley, Aneke and Washington? I just don't think he does, or ever will. He is clearly not knocking down the door in training either.

However under Adkins who knows what may happen.
  • edited March 2021
    From the little and I mean little we have seen of Ronnie, I think he is a fox in the box player rather than channel runner. Washington is a channel runner. DJ winger, so therefore more comfortable running the channels than Ronnie.

The above does not make Ronnie a bad footballer, but his style of play is dying out as more sides play 4321, 3421and 433 nowadays. A fox in the box I think works better with a front two and you need wingers and a creative midfielder feeding the box a lot.

If anything I suspect he is scratching his head at the lack of/poor quality around him in this sh*t division having been sold a promotion best players in the league chasing story.

His former club Midtyelland did not pull up trees in the Champions League but did beat a number of other highest tier league teams including Slavic Prague in qualifying and secured two credible draws with Liverpool and Atlanta in the group stage. In other words, he has not been playing with park footballers and hit goals in that company, so have a strong feeling this is more us than him and when he is given the chance to settle down and play, we may just get a pleasant surprise. I hope so and never believe in writing players off before they have been given a fair shot. 

When his team was doing that this season they saw about as much from him as we do now. 
    When his team was doing what?

Last season he scored 20 goals and 2 assists in 36 appearances. 

6 goals in 15 with 1 assist for Midtylland and 14 goals with 1 assist for Silkeborg in 21 games. 

He also played in one reserve game for Midtylland this season and scored two goals in that performance, but he'd made it clear he wanted to join us and was frozen out completely. 
  • i think Ronnie is very much for next season now.

obviously it was hoped he's do more this season but he wasnt match fit, his mrs has had a baby at home without him.

with a good preseason under his belt with Adkins building his team and style of play i reckon we'll see an absolute goal machine 
  • edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    The guys been here nearly 2 months now, and people are still saying "oh he needs a chance" - he's had plenty of chances, but literally does nothing when he comes on
    Plenty of chances? He's in total had 390 minutes across 16 appearances. That's on average 24 minutes. If he was playing the full 24 minutes game in, game out, I'd certainly have more concerns. Fact is a third of those games he's had 10 minutes or less, for over half he's had 20 minutes or less. In total he's only actually played more than 24 minutes in 5 games. 

Also to dispel the myth that he "never touches the ball"

Game 1 - Subbed on @ 2-0 down vs Accrington - Played 12 minutes 5 touches
    Game 2 - Subbed on @ 4-2 Down vs Rochdale - Played 45 minutes scored the goal to rescue a point 13 touches.
    Game 3 - Subbed on @ 1-0 up vs Bristol - Played 20 minutes 3 touches. 
    Game 4 - Subbed on @ 2-1 down vs Peterborough - Played 23 minutes 3 touches. 
    Game 5 - Started vs Swindon - Played 76 minutes Scored a good goal, incorrectly disallowed for offside. 10 touches total.
    Game 6 - Subbed on @ 1-0 up vs MK - Played 40 minutes 6 Touches
    Game 7 - Started vs Portsmouth - Played 61 minutes 8 Touches
    Game 8 - Subbed on @ 2-0 up vs Rochdale - Played 4 minutes 0 touches (unsurprisingly)
    Game 9 - Subbed on @ 3-2 down vs Gillingham - Played 2 minutes  1 touch
    Game 10 - Started vs Fleetwood - Played 56 minutes 5 touches
    Game 11 - Subbed on @ 2-1 down vs Burton - Played 18 minutes 0 Touches
    Game 12 - Subbed on at 3-0 down vs Blackpool - Played 8 minutes3 touches
    Game 13 - Subbed on @ 1-0 up vs Wigan - Played 1 minute 0 touches (unsurprisingly)
    Game 14 - Subbed on @ 0-0 vs Oxford - Played 13 minutes 2 touches Penalty Saved. 
    Game 15 - Subbed on @ 2-1 up vs Northampton - Played 2 minutes 1 touch
    Game 16 - Subbed on @ 2-2 vs AFC Wimbledon - Played 11 minutes, 0 touches

So only twice when we have played more than 10 minutes has he not touched the ball once. 4 times in total, but that involves two of fewer than 4 minutes a piece (one was 1 minute). 

He has averaged just shy of 4 touches per game. Not bad reall, when he's played under 20 minutes or less for over half of those games.  1 touch every 5 minutes-ish

I've said it before and I'll say it again, give him some time with the U23's to help his sharpness and hopefully his confidence too.
     56 mins 5 touches isn't exactly outstanding. It more suggests bein g in the wrong place or hiding.
    Did you watch the Fleetwood game?

He made several good runs, but the passes didn't make it to him.

I have said he needs to do more, especially in terms of adding to the physical side of the game and dropping to retrieve the ball. He needs more time to do more, these changes won't happen immediately and even slower without regular game time. I'd argue strikers need 20 minutes a game minimum really. Any less than that may as well be a time wasting sub, unless it's the powerhouse Chuks.