Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v West Bromwich Albion 1962/63

Is there any particular significance in this game? I can't think of anything for Charlton? Perhaps something on the West Brom side? A single sheet Football Programme for this game is currently bidding at £148 with 36 bids on eBay:

Comments

• Options
    jbcafc said:
    Is there any particular significance in this game? I can't think of anything for Charlton? Perhaps something on the West Brom side? A single sheet Football Programme for this game is currently bidding at £148 with 36 bids on eBay:
    It’s a strange one. From the description:

Bit of a mystery this one. A typed single sheet programme or team sheet for a match between Charlton and WBA on Friday 22nd February 1963.

It has been folded both ways and has some light creasing and some light marks to the rear. Otherwise it’s fine with no added writing.

Note the year isn’t shown but Charlton played Norwich on the date shown near the bottom and then Chelsea in the fa cup on 6th March, probably postponed a couple of days due to the really bad snow early that year which caused multiple postponements.

However, the mystery is that there is no record of Charlton and West Brom playing that season at all, I even tried to check reserve games but the Charlton team shown is pretty much their first team from the 1962/63 season.

I’ve opened the bidding at £4.99, I have no idea of the value, maybe a Charlton fan will know.

• Options
    There were hundreds of postponements that season, maybe it was a hastily arranged friendly? I can only think that West Brom had travelled somewhere in London and their game was postponed, and Charlton were at a loose end  - could have been a cup weekend of course, we're normally available on those occasions :-)
  • Options
    There were hundreds of postponements that season, maybe it was a hastily arranged friendly? I can only think that West Brom had travelled somewhere in London and their game was postponed, and Charlton were at a loose end  - could have been a cup weekend of course, we're normally available on those occasions :-)
    Yes this I think (more or less), West Brom were in the first division & didn't play a competitive game for almost 2 months because of the big freeze. They won away at Plymouth January 5th in 3rd round of the cup 5-1 & the next round was played 6th March although they managed to play a couple of first division fixtures in between. I imagine that all clubs were looking for friendlies during that terrible winter. We didn't play from 22nd December until 9th Feb & then the following week we beat Cardiff IN THE CUP !!!  
  • Options
    Yep, I believe you are on the right track ......  that 1962-63 season was the 'Big Freeze' which devastated the Football League fixtures for weeks and weeks on end. It started on Boxing Day and it was early March before normality resumed.

Charlton were in the old Second Division and West Brom played in the top tier First Division.

The fact that it's only a team sheet and not a normal produced programme indicates that it's a hastily arranged friendly or a game of little importance.
    Reserve team fixtures had the same type of team sheet. 

But it is a Charlton 1st team line-up. 

• Options
    Anyone got a hot line to Keith Peacock?

He was only 17 at the time .... but he's in the starting line-up.
    He might well recall the game and it's circumstances?

• Options
    I was at this game if memory serves me right, it was a very bad winter that year, the game was a friendly and the weather was so bad that it was called off just after half time I think.
  • Options
    I was at this game if memory serves me right, it was a very bad winter that year, the game was a friendly and the weather was so bad that it was called off just after half time I think.
    @Johnnysummers5 ...... just what we needed to know. Cheers!

• Options
    Think that was the Southampton game that was abandoned

This was a hastily arranged friendly on a Friday night.

We won 5 - 0 (HT 2 - 0) in front of just over 2,000 fans.  

It's very rare although that price seems OTT.

It's one of only 8 post war home programmes the museum doesn't have, all are friendlies or postponements.
  • Options
    wow.
    Very generous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

It's one of only 8 post war home programmes the museum doesn't have, all are friendlies or postponements.
    We need to get it then, Henners.

Bid for it (or I can) and I’ll cover it up to £300
    Not sure I can accept money earned from the evil that is gambling .....

.......but the museum has no such scruples. 😂

Go for it @bobmunro and as ever many thanks.
  • Options
    Nice one @bobmunro
  • Options
    A friendly. Been after that programme for years. At that price I will be looking for a lot longer! 
  • Options
    blimey, up to £185, i'll get my grandads typewriter out  :D
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Very generous of @bobmunro, hopefully the museum wins it. 
  • Options
    I think this was a friendly game arranged in that particularly harsh winter in which the windsceen of the WBA coach smashed during the journey down and they arrived frozen.

• Options
    My copy cost me 3 figures a few years ago. It is only the 2nd or 3rd time I have seen it being sold, but does seem to have attracted lots more interest this time.

My copy is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/18431570955
    Lots more at https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/albums
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

The evil bookie has successfully secured it for the museum :)
    Someone in Burslem now lying in the gutter after his overpriced accy fell apart on the third leg.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

The evil bookie has successfully secured it for the museum :)
    Someone in Burslem now lying in the gutter after his overpriced accy fell apart on the third leg.
    But he is looking up at the stars!
  • Options
    We would make you a life long friend of the museum but we've done that already.

Cheers @bobmunro

• Options
    Thanks Bob
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    We would make you a life long friend of the museum but we've done that already.

Cheers @bobmunro

I'll get it posted to me and will take great pleasure in delivering it personally to the museum when we can finally get back to the hallowed The Valley.
    See you there
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Just had some feedback from the seller.

When the initial bidding started to ramp up (surprising him) he contacted one of the bidders to try and find more info. Apparently the 'programme' was not issued to the supporters attending, it was produced purely for the press - hence why it is very, very rare.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

When the initial bidding started to ramp up (surprising him) he contacted one of the bidders to try and find more info. Apparently the 'programme' was not issued to the supporters attending, it was produced purely for the press - hence why it is very, very rare.
    Never knew that.

Explains the rarity.  
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    bobmunro said:

So no real programme for that one then. 

So what about the other rare ones? Were there programmes for:

51/2 Villa postponed
    52/3 Burnley, Villa postponed
    52/3 Fulham friendly 
    67/8 Olympic XI 26 Feb
    72/3 Orient, Brighton friendlies
    73/4 Orient Northampton friendlies 
    78/9 Cambridge Palace postponed 
     79/80 Denmark u21 postponed 

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Never knew that.

Explains the rarity.  
    Although the museum's programme expert disagrees

"I’d not heard that before and not sure I’m convinced. It’s the same format as reserve programmes and includes “next home matches” which you might not expect for a press handout. While rare it’s not that scarce."
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    bobmunro said:

So no real programme for that one then. 

So what about the other rare ones? Were there programmes for:

51/2 Villa postponed
    52/3 Burnley, Villa postponed
    52/3 Fulham friendly 
    67/8 Olympic XI 26 Feb
    72/3 Orient, Brighton friendlies
    73/4 Orient Northampton friendlies 
    78/9 Cambridge Palace postponed 
     79/80 Denmark u21 postponed 

Will have to check our spreadsheets