Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Flight incidents

Comments

• OMG..if things weren't grim enough.
  • Would such a rapid descent knock out the people on board?
    Bloody hope so!!
    I remember watching a program on sky one called the Day Britain Stood still. Probably about 15 years ago now. The premise was that a couple of accidents at certain points on the M25 would result in Britain being completely choked. At the end it resulted in air traffic controllers being unable to be relieved and therefore suffering from fatigue which resulted in a mid air collision at 15000 foot over Gatwick. Apparently in a mid air collision one plane usually disintegrates and the other falls out of the sky with a plane size hole in it. It said that at 15000 feet you'd still be conscious when you hit the ground.

Happy new year
  • 10,000ft in a minute! Blimey
  • edited January 2021
    Dizzle said:
    10,000ft in a minute! Blimey
    I realise that there are many things that can cause an air accident but I am going to stick my neck out and say that, if the details that we have heard thus far are true, then ‘at this moment in time’ it’s looking like a deliberate action by an individual.
  • What the hell do they do in Indonesia? Apparently it's the 7th crash killing 50 or more people in the last 15 years!

Barely a year passes without some kind of plane crash/incident there.
  • The Professional Pilots Forum is your friend for topics like this (so long as you are not ill-advised enough to butt in)

Already come comments their echoing your point, @Chris_from_Sidcup
  • Sponsored links:

• All Indonesian planes were banned from Europe for quite a few years due to their poor safety records 
  • What the hell do they do in Indonesia? Apparently it's the 7th crash killing 50 or more people in the last 15 years!

They have actually improved things over the last few years ....believe it or not.
  • clive said:
    We’ll there’s one to give us all a lift...
    Thinking of starting a thread. 

How did you feel when your dog got run over. 
    Ruff
    Bit like the joke... What does a Cat sound like when its been ran over - MEEEEOOWWWWWWWWWWWW

Sorry to derail the thread!!
    Discussing plane crashes is one thing, but train crashes... on a Charlton forum of all places... too sad, just too sad. 
  • For anyone that's interested in this sort of thing, I can recommend Matt Parker's book Humble Pi. It's about maths errors in general, but there's some interesting stories about planes in there such as the Gimli Glider which ran out of fuel as a result of erroneous fuel calculations caused by a mix up between imperial and metric units or the pilot of a BA flight from Brum to Malaga sucked out of the window (he survived), because a wrong, but very similar, bolt was used to fit a windscreen.

• When you watch Air Crash Investigation it always seems that a series of issues cause a plane to crash.
    Quite possibly - G forces most likely too much to withstand. Also at that speed it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the plane could have broken apart in mid-air.

I can tell you what they do. They ignore safety procedures. They don't believe in worrying about it too much. I lived there for a year and took many internal flights. I'm surprised that there have only been 7 crashes in 15 years. I remember one particular flight during which I was constantly looking around me wondering where the open door or window was.
    Of course you don't hear about their road accidents, sinking boats, exploding ovens etc.
    I had a fun 15 months though.
  • Don't know about take-offs but I've had some pretty scary landings. Splinter thread alert. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Daddy_Pig said:
    Would such a rapid descent knock out the people on board?
    I remember watching a program on sky one called the Day Britain Stood still. Probably about 15 years ago now. The premise was that a couple of accidents at certain points on the M25 would result in Britain being completely choked. At the end it resulted in air traffic controllers being unable to be relieved and therefore suffering from fatigue which resulted in a mid air collision at 15000 foot over Gatwick. Apparently in a mid air collision one plane usually disintegrates and the other falls out of the sky with a plane size hole in it. It said that at 15000 feet you'd still be conscious when you hit the ground.

Happy new year
    Actually I've done a bit of research into this as I have a scene in my novel that required it.
    You would be conscious when you hit the ground but you wouldn't feel anything. This is because of the time it takes for the feeling of impact to reach the brain. An impact which would result in certain immediate death cannot be felt.

I can tell you what they do. They ignore safety procedures. They don't believe in worrying about it too much. I lived there for a year and took many internal flights. I'm surprised that there have only been 7 crashes in 15 years. I remember one particular flight during which I was constantly looking around me wondering where the open door or window was.
    Of course you don't hear about their road accidents, sinking boats, exploding ovens etc.
    That's 7 crashes in 15 years in which 50 or more people have died.

There have been many other crashes.
  • Daddy_Pig said:

Happy new year
    Actually I've done a bit of research into this as I have a scene in my novel that required it.
    You would be conscious when you hit the ground but you wouldn't feel anything. This is because of the time it takes for the feeling of impact to reach the brain. An impact which would result in certain immediate death cannot be felt.
    But nobody can really know that for sure.
  • Off_it said:
    Daddy_Pig said:

Happy new year
    But nobody can really know that for sure.
    This is true but let's not forget that a crew member was found alive in Lockerbie by a farmer's wife but unfortunately died before help could get there,the following inquiry stated the cockpit crew most probably were still alive until impact. That aircraft fell from a height above 30,000ft.
  • edited January 2021
    They’ve found wreckage and body parts in the Java sea. Most is 75ft below the surface and they are trying to recover an emergency signal.

Probably going to be a lot more countries out there who follow the same pattern

That's 7 crashes in 15 years in which 50 or more people have died.

There have been many other crashes.
    In all of these, people survived thanks to Allah.
  • Air crash investigations was on day yesterday on discovery. It was very Interesting especially some of the cover ups etc... 
  • edited January 2021
    Having flown out of Jakarta about 40 times, I'm quite choosey about which airline I use in Indonesia - there are several small airlines and ones that pop up and disappear (no pun intended). I am fairly sure they are only do domestic flights, which has thankfully limited my opportunities to use Sriwijaya as I've only taken domestic flights a handful of times in Indonesia. Indonesia has got a pretty bad track record, but I wouldn't use them except as a last resort.

I remember flying out of Jakarta at roughly the same time as a departure from Yogyakarta crashed. My mother had kittens thought Jarkarta and Yogyakarta were the same place; my wife knew I was flying out of Jakarta.