Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brave Young Tennis Player

Comments

• Wonderful.
  • 100% Respect.
  • why is she "brave"?
  • Off_it said:
    why is she "brave"?
    Did you read the article?
  • Off_it said:
    why is she "brave"?
    Did you read the article?
    Yes
  • May not answer your question but what I like about her is that she is taking on able bodied athletes instead of plying her trade in the para/disabled competitions. I admire her courage, will and determination.
  • The use of the word brave is somewhat OTT wouldn’t you say.....’stoically overcame’ would perhaps be a better way to describe it.
  • May not answer your question but what I like about her is that she is taking on able bodied athletes instead of plying her trade in the para/disabled competitions. I admire her courage, will and determination.
    How could she compete in those with split fingers, it’s a short term injury.....that’s not being classed as disabled bb.
    Absolutely. She definitely sounds very determined and driven - and above all else talented - but the concept of her somehow being "brave" for playing the sport she loves and has a talent for is pretty outdated and not a little condescending, even though that may not have been the intention.

In the article linked to the article above she says herself;

"A lot of people would say it's a disadvantage, whereas I would beg to differ: I always feel like it's an advantage.

"I feel it puts me a step ahead of them in many ways and I've learned to be independent and it's taught me a lot about myself and about life.

"I have things that I have to work on maybe a little bit more physically than other players, but I'm OK with that. I was very aware what I was stepping into, and I enjoy a challenge.

Good luck to her.

• Well done to her.  A great achievement.

May not answer your question but what I like about her is that she is taking on able bodied athletes instead of plying her trade in the para/disabled competitions. I admire her courage, will and determination.
    How could she compete in those with split fingers, it’s a short term injury.....that’s not being classed as disabled bb.

I'd imagine the missing digits on each limb would be more of a qualifying factor than the split fingers.

• Sponsored links:

• addix said:
    Well done to her.  A great achievement.

May not answer your question but what I like about her is that she is taking on able bodied athletes instead of plying her trade in the para/disabled competitions. I admire her courage, will and determination.

I'd imagine the missing digits on each limb would be more of a qualifying factor than the split fingers.

Oh.....Has she got missing fingers......I hadn’t realised that....apologies if that’s the case.

• She has 3 fingers and 1 thumb on each hand and 4 toes on her left foot and 3 toes on her right foot .

"Jones, who has ectrodactyly ectodermal dysplasia syndrome, plays with a light racquet and very small grip, and in the gym works hard on balance and technique. Her feet do not always move the way other people's feet do, so she has to be precise to avoid injury"

all in the article

Full respect to her 
  • amazing achievement. Best of luck to her. More deserving of SPOTY than many.
  • Great good news and feel good story. Well done her. More power to her tennis elbow. See what I did there. 
  • Take a trip over to the, 'Why is Mental Health still so difficult to talk about' thread and you'll find plenty of brave people on there but of course we're not celebrities or sports stars and therefore we don't have the obstacles that they do!
  • edited January 2021
    Take a trip over to the, 'Why is Mental Health still so difficult to talk about' thread and you'll find plenty of brave people on there but of course we're not celebrities or sports stars and therefore we don't have the obstacles that they do!
    Sorry but that’s a strange and quite ungracious post. No reason not to applaud the girl for overcoming actually unbelievable obstacles. 
    No need not to recognise that 1000's of people who aren't celebrities or sports stars get totally ignored everyday and somehow manage to survive despite endless discrimination.

Another indication with societies obsession with 'Stars'

I'm not knocking her but 1000's of people go unnoticed everyday and some of them are on this site but let's just dismiss them.

And of course you get the people who like your post, thinking look at us, we're the morally upright folks, while failing to recognise the point I'm making!

I'm just really tired of this celebrity arse licking, as if they're the only ones who suffer, and perhaps you might be the same if you'd experienced the discrimination and ignorance that I have of our so called caring western society!