Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

sociology

2»

Comments

• Options
    You can’t beat an ‘ology, as Del Boy would say.

For those who remember the BT ads:

Leespoons Maureen Lipman GIF - Leespoons MaureenLipman AnOlogy - Discover   Share GIFs

• Options
    I did it to A level and some of the names being banded about on here are bringing me out in a cold sweat (...at least I hope it's only that and not anything more serious!).

I'll throw Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs into the mix. 

• Options
    I did it to A level and some of the names being banded about on here are bringing me out in a cold sweat (...at least I hope it's only that and not anything more serious!).

I'll throw Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs into the mix. 

I agree with the cold sweat. Maslow's needs in a triangle shaped thing.

• Options
    Well, I think and assume that the sociological perspective can rapidly alter via mild forms of an unexpected but large scale butterfly effect.

Would that quote get an A*?
  • Options
    Did a degree in it and it was ok. Have to respect it from an historical viewpoint eg Marx, Focault etc but think modern behavioral psychology etc is probably a lot more relevant today. 

Some of the people who attach themselves to the subject are cliche meme dogmatic types but an interesting and broad subject all the same.
  • Options
    I imagine there must be some PhD students who are relishing the material this current pandemic is producing.
  • Options
    I imagine there must be some PhD students who are relishing the material this current pandemic is producing.
    Yes I’m sure you’re correct, and psychologists (my field of study). In fact I intend to do some writing on it to keep my brain active in retirement.
  • Options
    One of the most historic butterfly effect results must have been the British bloke inventing the internet.

Apparently he isn't actually that wealthy.

I don't think his direct intentions would have been the following!
  • Options
    Marjorie from the Netflix real life story.

"Evil genius"

She had a major in sociology.

Some people think the learning process of the qualification actually enabled her to commit the crimes she made.
  • Options
    I thought that line came from the BT ad?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    I thought that line came from the BT ad?
    It did indeed.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the post I made some hours ago!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Glad glad you’re all awake!

Just testing!
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    One of the most historic butterfly effect results must have been the British bloke inventing the internet.

Apparently he isn't actually that wealthy.

I don't think his direct intentions would have been the following!
    He didn't invent the internet though, he invented the worldwide web. The internet was originally a US military thing.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Around wartime there was a scheme know as 'Mass Observation' I believe.
    David Kynaston's sociological history of Britain from 1945 to 1962, the "Tales of New Jerusalem" trilogy uses MO records.  Very readable, absolutely brilliant.
    Love these books. I thought he was going to take them through until 1979, but it's been a while since the last one.