Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peter Garland is 50 Today

2»

Comments

• I think he wasted his talent - could have played higher if he put his mind to it - should have played way more football league games - good skills, passing ability and vision - but clearly overweight, never looked fit, and it seemed like it was all a bit laugh for him

There are so many like him - when I played Sunday League football I played up front with a guy called Peter Coupland - he played for a lot of Kent non league sides - ridiculously good player - he told me Charlton, Gills, Millwall and Palace were all trying to sign him when was a teenager, but he couldn’t be arsed with all the training and discipline, so refused

He would turn up to matches reeking of booze (in fairness the whole team was like that), never warm up, smoke fags watching us warm up, and then walk on to start the game - he would generally score 3 or 4 goals each game - never helped in defence, rarely ran, never went out wide (that was my job he told me) and hung around the box waiting for a chance

We were top of the league, but then when winter came, he stopped turning up - when the weather improved he turned up again - we said thanks, but no thanks, and sent him on his way
    Like the old school county cricketers whose only fitness training was in the bar!
  • Wasn't he sent off at The Valley for fighting with Millwall's Alex Rae? He went up in my estimation that day.

Lee Bowyer who was a similar build to Garland got sent off after being wound up by Alex Rae at the Den. Despite Curbs telling him to keep his cool all week leading up to the game.

Can't remember the Garland/Rae incident but memory is a strange old thing !
    Lee Bowyer definitely was not a similar build to Peter Garland.
    Maybe Lee was wearing 3 of his expensive jumpers  :)
  • OOOH Fatty Garland

Cracking talent, but a fucking disgrace physically. Didn't someone see him playing down at Whyteleafe or somewhere a few years ago - and said he looked about 18 stone, but pinged two free kicks in the top corner?
  • Christ knows why this bloke gets so much positive recollection. Not for me 
    He was a pretty moderate player. Not bad, definitely not great in a fairly ordinary team. His goal at Wimbledon was a very good one. 
  • edited January 2021
    He reminded me of Kevin "Mighty" Mouse, from ye olde Roy Of The Rovers days.

There were moments where he was extremely fleet of foot, with a turn of pace & he'd be through a few players. Certainly a cracking shot too.

His physical condition definitely played its part in his inability to truly govern matches from the centre of the park, & he would be blowing out of his arse earlier than most others.

As others have said, that played a part in his overall lack of career consistency & overall development. There was a quality player in there. Just not an athlete mindset. 

Wasn't he Keegans first signing, & heralded as a potential new Gazza? (I'm sure I remember that right)

Whilst I'm sure the wiki link to him only indicates league matches, I always felt that he scored a few more than that (certainly got the screamer against Wimbledon in the cup though), & that there were always a few more belters in there. (The mind plays tricks over time of course)

There was certainly always anticipation when he got into shooting range.

He was an old school character, & wouldn't have been out of place playing in other eras like the 70's, & when there were a fair few non-athletes in the game - even in the 80's. (Portsmouth in '87, most of their starting 11 were bigger than Peter at his biggest - Hello Mick Quinn & Ian Baird).

He did a job for us, not perfect, but was one of the relatively solid, bargain, bridging type players in the mid-90's, using Curbs & Gritts acumen in the cheaper end of the transfer market, as the club slowly rebuilt for the future.

He played the game with a smile, always had time for a bit of friendly banter with the fans (at least where I was sitting), but most importantly, he never lacked commitment, which is why I think a few people do estimate him a little higher in their recollections.

I enjoyed his time with us for the most part.

Happy Birthday Peter!🍻
  • Yep he played in a shit era when we just used to hang around in the second tier for years on end without having to pull one off cos we got a draw at home against Rochdale .
  • Born the same day as Simon Webster who turned 56 yesterday, think Gary Nelson was a few days before, 60!!
  • OOOH Fatty Garland

Cracking talent, but a fucking disgrace physically. Didn't someone see him playing down at Whyteleafe or somewhere a few years ago - and said he looked about 18 stone, but pinged two free kicks in the top corner?

I suppose it is to be expected that players will put on a few pounds when they retire from the game.
    Neil Shipperley and Neil Ruddock, to name but two have taken things a little far!
  • Happy Birthday Pete!
  • OOOH Fatty Garland

I suppose it is to be expected that players will put on a few pounds when they retire from the game.
    Neil Shipperley and Neil Ruddock, to name but two have taken things a little far!

I give you Neville Southall

Mens Football Neville Southall standing up for LGBT rights in football   Morning Star
  • Sponsored links:

• OOOH Fatty Garland

I give you Neville Southall

Mens Football Neville Southall standing up for LGBT rights in football   Morning Star

The winner!
    He's got to be touching 30 stones.