Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Expectations for this season

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2021
    People on here acting like the salary cap makes it impossible to get promoted. I suppose the theory is that with the extra money being spent, it’ll be the same teams winning promotion as those that are relegated the previous year. Simply not true. You only have to look at the gulf that exists between the top two tiers to see that’s not how it works in reality.
  • Options
    I'm starting to think I'm losing the plot lol. Am I that mental that I can honestly not see us outside the top 6 ? As I have said before I still think we have a decent chance at automatic promotion. Loads of points still up for grabs and I seriously cant see us losing many games moving forwards. The teams around us are more likely to drop points imo. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I'm starting to think I'm losing the plot lol. Am I that mental that I can honestly not see us outside the top 6 ? As I have said before I still think we have a decent chance at automatic promotion. Loads of points still up for grabs and I seriously cant see us losing many games moving forwards. The teams around us are more likely to drop points imo. 
    Yes, you can't be right in the head & I'll remind of that fact in May when we finish no higher than 8th. 
  • Options
    People on here acting like the salary cap makes it impossible to get promoted. I suppose the theory is that with the extra money being spent, it’ll be the same teams winning promotion as those that are relegated the previous year. Simply not true. You only have to look at the gulf that exists between the top two tiers to see that’s not how it works in reality.
    Exactly. 3 teams will get promoted under a salary cap! It makes it a harder task but it’s not impossible! 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    It would take a massive turn around to "not lose many games going forward", I admire your optimism but sadly think you will let down. 
  • Options
    I agree with everyone that the playoffs should be the minimum expectation.
    But unfortunately I don't think we will reach them.
    The last 14 games have not been a blip they have completely undone our season imo.
    We currently sit in 6th position with about 20 games to go so I agree reaching the playoffs should still be achievable but unfortunately the way we are playing I can't see us suddenly going on a long winning streak. 
    I am not saying I'm happy to wait until next season before rebuilding and trying for promotion because I'm not  I hate being in this league. 
    But as a supporter of over 55 years I've seen 6 promotions and 7 relegations and this season definitely doesn't feel like apromotion season to me.
    I completely agree Blackpool.  I’ve seen less promotions than you (98, 00, 12 & 19), but it’s definitely given me something to measure what a promotion winning side looks like, this lot definitely aren’t.  I admire some people’s optimism, but every which way I look at it, we’re not up to scratch.  The strap line of getting Famewo and Inniss back is grating on me a bit as well.  It’s almost as people are using that and burying their heads in the sand a bit.  

I don’t mean any disrespect to others, everyone’s going to have a way they see it and I respect the opinions of others, I just think there’s an element of delusion when it comes to what we’re capable of.  You can however mark this post for future reference if we do go on a run and I’ll eat humble pie and say I got it wrong.  

I was even getting wound up by the comments from Curbs during HT on sat, something along the lines of ‘but for the deflection we’ve been the better team.’ I get he knows far more about football than me, but I don’t think you go in trailing 2-0 if you’ve been the better team.  Seems like there’s a lot of excuses being made at the moment and a lot of trying to spin a positive out something that is very bland and average.

tomorrow will be yet another indicator of the funk we’re in I think.  MK Dons should have more about them than Swindon.  They looked okay when they beat us earlier in the season.  I think a draw is the best result we can get