Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Signings from the Summer

So this summer transfer window we signed 13 players for the season. 

Halfway through the season how many would you call success stories? 

This isn't to slag off Gallen/Bowyer or whoever, more to see how many you would keep for the seasons ahead. 

The list: 

Alex Gilbey
Conor Washington
Ben Watson
Marcus Maddison
Chris Gunter
Omar Bogle
Ryan Inniss
Adam Matthews
Dylan Levitt
Akin Famewo
Ian Maatsen
Andrew Shinnie
Paul Smyth

Bear in mind how many games the players have missed through injury so that would exclude players like Inniss being called a success (playing 5 league games out of 24). 

Comments

• All dregs no one wanted.  All rubbish. Get rid of all of them. 

But seriously I would say that only Maatsen, Smyth and possibly Washington have performed at the level you would be entitled to expect from their CV/pedigree/past performances. 

Is there a bad player in that list?  No, probably not, but have they all performed consistently or at all?  No not a single one of them. 

Would John Sheridan take all of them in a heart beat?  You bet he would.  

• Think Shinnie and Femewo have been good on the whole.

The rest are a bit meh. 
  • I think if we were looking at next season (i'm assuming in League One)

I'd keep: 

Washington
    Shinnie
    Matthews
    Inniss (if he stays fit for the rest of the season when back)
  • edited January 2021
    I think if we were looking at next season (i'm assuming in League One)

I'd keep: 

Washington
    Shinnie
    Matthews
    Inniss (if he stays fit for the rest of the season when back)
    You don't have much choice when Watson and Gunter (4 players worth of wages) are already contracted for next season. 
  • Alex Gilbey - 50/50
    Conor Washington - keep
    Ben Watson - keep
    Marcus Maddison - leaning towards keep
    Chris Gunter - keep
    Omar Bogle - leave
    Ryan Inniss - keep
    Adam Matthews - keep 
    Dylan Levitt - leave
    Akin Famewo - keep
    Ian Maatsen - keep
    Andrew Shinnie - keep
    Paul Smyth - leave 

• Alex Gilbey
    Conor Washington
    Ben Watson
    Marcus Maddison
    Chris Gunter
    Omar Bogle
    Ryan Inniss
    Adam Matthews
    Dylan Levitt
    Akin Famewo
    Ian Maatsen
    Andrew Shinnie
    Paul Smyth

Not that sure about Gunter but he's probably on a high wage that could be better spent elsewhere
  • Alex Gilbey - still think he will come good but slow start.

Conor Washington - he is a trier but so limited, would try to move him on at the end of the season.  Not good enough for a promotion chasing team.

Ben Watson - think he is fine just over hyped when we got him.

Marcus Maddison - not sure why we got him when Bowyer clearly can't stand his character.  The sort of signing Curbs would have weeded out before he signed on.

Chris Gunter - see Ben Watson

Omar Bogle - see Maddison

Ryan Inniss- I fear he is made of glass and will be in and out of the side for a couple of years then leave.

Adam Matthews - rubbish today but we know his quality.

Dylan Levitt - didn't work for whatever reason.

Akin Famewo - great signing, unfortunate injury

Ian Maatsen- ok but I would prefer Purrington and would be tempted to send him back to Chelsea to make room for someone else.

Andrew Shinnie - excellent.  Unfortunate injury.

Paul Smyth - ineffective, send him back if we could find someone better for the same pittance.

• Most of them were playing in the Championship last season. Just need to get more out of them. 
  • Alex Gilbey- Disappointing, I was a fan of his from when he played for Wigan so I’m hoping he comes good still. (Keep)

Conor Washington - Decent, good enough to be a squad player. (Keep)

Ben Watson- Was hoping he’d be better. (Release) 

Marcus Maddison- Proven at this level, he needs more time. (Keep)

Chris Gunter- Past his best. (Release)

Omar Bogle. (Release)

Ryan Inniss. Solid. (Keep)

Adam Matthews. Not played enough but we know was he’s capable of. (Keep)

Dylan Levitt- Looked poor in the few cameos he had.

Akin Famewo- Solid (Keep if we can)

Ian Maatsen- Good start, not quite as good recently. (Wouldn’t mind bringing him back in)

Andrew Shinnie- Good player (Get him signed up)

Paul Smyth- Not effective enough. (Don’t keep) 
  • Alex Gilbey - disappointment
    Conor Washington - reasonable success, what I expected really
    Ben Watson - disappointment
    Marcus Maddison - disappointment BUT I think a different manager would have got a lot more out of him
    Chris Gunter - slight disappointment, is he worth the alleged wages?
    Omar Bogle - disappointment
    Ryan Inniss - qualified success (great when playing but worried about his fitness record)
    Adam Matthews - disappointment, not really got going
    Dylan Levitt - disappointment
    Akin Famewo - success
    Ian Maatsen - success
    Andrew Shinnie - success
    Paul Smyth - so so

Slightly worrying that most of our successes so far have been short term loan players
  • Sponsored links:

• No idea what everyone sees in Ian Maatsen.  He cannot tackle and his crossing is atrocious. Purrington done well for us in L1 two years ago.
  • I’d get rid of Maatsen and Gilbey . Both extremely poor. Not too fussed about Smyth either to be honest 
  • I'd keep Washington, Maddison, Inniss, Matthews, Famewo and Shinnie.
    Gunter is alright but we really don't need two "first choice" right backs. Despite his error today Matthews is capable and presumably on a lower wage. Maatsen not been good enough overall and would have Purrington in the side at the moment. 

• Alex Gilbey - no
    Conor Washington - no 
    Ben Watson - no
    Marcus Maddison - no
    Chris Gunter - no
    Omar Bogle - no
    Ryan Inniss - maybe. Too many injuries 
    Adam Matthews - no
    Dylan Levitt - no
    Akin Famewo - yes
    Ian Maatsen - maybe
    Andrew Shinnie - yes
    Paul Smyth - no

• edited January 2021
    Alex Gilbey: Disappointed after a decent(ish) debut
    Conor Washington: What I expected really, reckon he'll just sneak into double figures
    Ben Watson: Thought we'd get a better player than what we've got, dont think he's that bad
    Marcus Maddison: Wasnt overly fussed about signing him in the firsdt place
    Chris Gunter: He has too many hot and cold performances, can see why Reading let him go
    Omar Bogle: I honestly expected this, his record beyond League Two speaks for itself
    Ryan Inniss: A really big miss, been the signing of the season
    Adam Matthews: Yeah disappointed, think Gunter has been better, can see why the latter has more Welsh caps
    Dylan Levitt: Just didnt work out here, dont think Lockdown helped him
    Akin Famewo: Another really decent signing
    Ian Maatsen: Hopefully this rest will help but think Jay Dasilva is a better player
    Andrew Shinnie: Really impressed me, would be happy to see him stay beyond this season
    Paul Smyth: Same as Omar Bogle, his record spoke for himself, wasnt fussed when I saw him linked

Players in bold I'd keep going into next season, if we can

In terms of Ben Watson, would only keep him or Darren Pratley, would prefer to keep the latter
  • edited January 2021
    Alex Gilbey- Disappointing, I was a fan of his from when he played for Wigan so I’m hoping he comes good still. (Keep)

Conor Washington - Decent, good enough to be a squad player. (Keep)

Ben Watson- Was hoping he’d be better. (Release) 

Marcus Maddison- Proven at this level, he needs more time. (Keep)

Chris Gunter- Past his best. (Release)

Omar Bogle. (Release)

Ryan Inniss. Solid. (Keep)

Adam Matthews. Not played enough but we know was he’s capable of. (Keep)

Dylan Levitt- Looked poor in the few cameos he had.

Akin Famewo- Solid (Keep if we can)

Ian Maatsen- Good start, not quite as good recently. (Wouldn’t mind bringing him back in)

Andrew Shinnie- Good player (Get him signed up)

Paul Smyth- Not effective enough. (Don’t keep) 
    You can't just release people from contracts because they aren't performing.  If we want rid after a few months you have to question who offered the contracts, not necessarily the player. 
  • i would have maatsen back but he does need a little rest and purrington should be given a few games. 
  • Alex Gilbey - No
    Conor Washington - Yes
    Ben Watson - Yes
    Marcus Maddison - Yes
    Chris Gunter - Yes
    Omar Bogle - No
    Ryan Inniss - Yes
    Adam Matthews - Yes
    Dylan Levitt - No
    Akin Famewo - Yes
    Ian Maatsen - Yes
    Andrew Shinnie - Yes
    Paul Smyth - No
  • Alex Gilbey no
    Conor Washington yes
    Ben Watson yes
    Marcus Maddison yes
    Chris Gunter yes
    Omar Bogle no
    Ryan Inniss yes
    Adam Matthews yes
    Dylan Levitt no
    Akin Famewo yes
    Ian Maatsen no
    Andrew Shinnie yes
    Paul Smyth no

A massive issue is that some players haven't had time to bed in. Bows continued tinkering with the team has caused issues.
  • PopIcon said:
    Alex Gilbey no
    Conor Washington yes
    Ben Watson yes
    Marcus Maddison yes
    Chris Gunter yes
    Omar Bogle no
    Ryan Inniss yes
    Adam Matthews yes
    Dylan Levitt no
    Akin Famewo yes
    Ian Maatsen no
    Andrew Shinnie yes
    Paul Smyth no

A massive issue is that some players haven't had time to bed in. Bows continued tinkering with the team has caused issues.
    That what you have stated at the bottom of your list is spot on for me & exactly how I feel,it could & probably should have been so much better with a settled side & we may not have had to have this discussion,but as it at this time...

Alex Gilbey - Release
    Conor Washington - Keep
    Ben Watson -Release
    Marcus Maddison -Keep
    Chris Gunter - Keep
    Omar Bogle (50/50) now we have JS
    Ryan Inniss - Keep
    Adam Matthews (50/50) taking into account there is a player there,just need to find him again
    Dylan Levitt - Release 
    Akin Famewo - Keep
    Ian Maatsen - (50/50)
    Andrew Shinnie - Keep
    Paul Smyth - Release

• Sponsored links:

• Added contract lengths for a bit more context.

Already gone
    Dylan Levitt - strange signing given Bowyer wants his deeper midfielders to have something about them defensively and physically.

2021 / loan

Ben Watsonrelease before he turns in to a midfield Gary Doherty. I've defended him but if you're going to be that holding midfielder with no pace then even at this level you need something about you that really makes up for it. I'm not convinced he has that, even if he did at Forest last season.
    Marcus Maddison - keep next season assuming we're still in this league. Has shown a consistent end product at this level but needs a run of games.
    Omar Bogle - sell this window or loan out and release in the summer.
    Adam Matthews - offer a new deal assuming he gets back to his best.
    Akin Famewo - success if he gets back and stays fit for the rest of the season and plays like he did pre-injury.
    Ian Maatsen - decent but not outstanding in the way Wiggins was, but has the potential to get there. In need of a rest? Would prefer to sign a permanent first choice left back in the summer but salary cap forces pretty much forces you to use loans.
    Andrew Shinnie - success, the sort of technical midfielder we come up against but never plays for us. Would be happy with him signing permanently assuming we're confident he has another year in him.
    Paul Smyth - send back in this window if we can improve on him, otherwise keep him for the rest of the season. Not physical enough to be a striker, nothing special as a winger, Millar looks a level or two above him.

Conor Washington - squad striker in this league at best. Works hard but nothing about him really scares defenders at this level. If we're still in League 1 and the salary cap stays as it is then he's one you probably keep. Has to be replaced if we somehow get promoted.
    Chris Gunter - decent but if he's on a big wage he's not justified it for me. I expect he'll be here until his contract expires.
    Ryan Inniss - like Famewo good start but too early to tell if he's a success. Is he injury prone? Can he do it consistently over 40+ games? Clearly the strongest in the air of all our CBs.

Alex Gilbey - looked promising before his injury but not impressed since. Too early to write off. Can see one or two going this week to make room for new signings and it wouldn't be surprising if he was loaned out.
  • I thought we made some reasonable signings and thought top six was a fair expectation. Gilbey for me the most disappointing.
  • Scoham said:
    Added contract lengths for a bit more context.

Already gone
    Dylan Levitt - strange signing given Bowyer wants his deeper midfielders to have something about them defensively and physically.

2021 / loan

Ben Watsonrelease before he turns in to a midfield Gary Doherty. I've defended him but if you're going to be that holding midfielder with no pace then even at this level you need something about you that really makes up for it. I'm not convinced he has that, even if he did at Forest last season.
    Marcus Maddison - keep next season assuming we're still in this league. Has shown a consistent end product at this level but needs a run of games.
    Omar Bogle - sell this window or loan out and release in the summer.
    Adam Matthews - offer a new deal assuming he gets back to his best.
    Akin Famewo - success if he gets back and stays fit for the rest of the season and plays like he did pre-injury.
    Ian Maatsen - decent but not outstanding in the way Wiggins was, but has the potential to get there. In need of a rest? Would prefer to sign a permanent first choice left back in the summer but salary cap forces pretty much forces you to use loans.
    Andrew Shinnie - success, the sort of technical midfielder we come up against but never plays for us. Would be happy with him signing permanently assuming we're confident he has another year in him.
    Paul Smyth - send back in this window if we can improve on him, otherwise keep him for the rest of the season. Not physical enough to be a striker, nothing special as a winger, Millar looks a level or two above him.

Conor Washington - squad striker in this league at best. Works hard but nothing about him really scares defenders at this level. If we're still in League 1 and the salary cap stays as it is then he's one you probably keep. Has to be replaced if we somehow get promoted.
    Chris Gunter - decent but if he's on a big wage he's not justified it for me. I expect he'll be here until his contract expires.
    Ryan Inniss - like Famewo good start but too early to tell if he's a success. Is he injury prone? Can he do it consistently over 40+ games? Clearly the strongest in the air of all our CBs.

Alex Gilbey - looked promising before his injury but not impressed since. Too early to write off. Can see one or two going this week to make room for new signings and it wouldn't be surprising if he was loaned out.
    From this I'm not sure I'd keep anyone in the 2021 bracket. 

Famewo would be the only player and I can't see him signing for a League One side. 

Gunter is a waste too, another year on his contract on big wages.