Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The "dregs"

I am, and I am sure others are as well, sick of hearing that Bowyer could only sign the dregs that no one else wanted after the takeover. 

So for convenience can you all put who these substandard players we were forced to sign on minimal wages here?

Not who hasn't performed to a standard you would expect from them.  Just the ones no one else wanted.  For avoidance of doubt let's leave Bogle out of it/have him as a given. 

Comments

• Options
    Joe Ledley 
  • Options
    The HD link?
  • Options
    Something’s not quite right. It’s either the players, the coaching/managerial staff, luck or the curse of Roland.

It’s totally understandable that some supporters get upset because their aspirations aren’t being met.

Me, I’m mainly happy that we have a new more positive future but not sure it necessarily includes all the current players or coaching staff.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

• Options
    At the start of this window this squad was on par with Parkinson’s play off team, probably with the same flaws. I think we’ve upgraded in the window, so still a long way to go 
  • Options
    Naming people of the current squad does no favours and we need to stick with them. 

However, I will name dregs of previous teams. David Mooney will always be my ultimate dreg. He isn’t the worst footballer we’ve ever had but he was so pathetic and lightweight it really pissed me off. So yeah, there’s my dreg.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Naming people of the current squad does no favours and we need to stick with them. 

However, I will name dregs of previous teams. David Mooney will always be my ultimate dreg. He isn’t the worst footballer we’ve ever had but he was so pathetic and lightweight it really pissed me off. So yeah, there’s my dreg.
    I don’t think the company that host Charlton Life have the server capacity to support a thread that listed all of the “dregs” we’ve had over the past decade. 
    True that. I just always need to get Mooney off my chest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Mooney a dreg? that’s being kind surely he was a level or two below.

Dreadful footballer who had the bloody cheek to cup his ears once when he scored 

Of the current lot I think we have a strong squad but for whatever reason we just aren’t clicking as a team and there are far too many individual mistakes 
  • Options

Mooney a dreg? that’s being kind surely he was a level or two below.

Dreadful footballer who had the bloody cheek to cup his ears once when he scored 

Of the current lot I think we have a strong squad but for whatever reason we just aren’t clicking as a team and there are far too many individual mistakes 
    As I said, the ultimate dreg. Or just fucking useless.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    its a bit boring now all this - personally, i think lb has had some adverse conditions to work with but my faith in him being a good manager is hanging by a thread - i said a couple of weeks ago when all this 'dregs' stuff was banded about that i remember TS proudly stating, after getting control of the club, that he had been advised that if we got the players on our list, it would pretty much guarantee play offs minimum  - i remember it partly because to state guarantee, is not the norm. Lets not kid ourselves, lb has not done well the last year and it is loyalty and the stability factor that is keeping him in a job atm - he has stopped with the negative shit to an extent, and we are playing better but he is not getting the most out of this squad, far from it 
    I’d add a third reason to this, the fact bowyer has experience of getting a team promoted from this league. 
  • Options
    It's funny that in 4 hours the "he had to sign players no one else wanted" brigade have failed to name a single player.
  • Options
    Did anyone else want Gunter? I don't remember us pinching him from under anyone elses nose. 
    Matthews was holding out for a championship club and then signed for us late in the day, so I presume no-one else wanted him. We re-signed Williams and I didn't see him linked with anywhere else. We signed Maddison too without anyone courting him. Inniss was another that was signed without mention of anyone else wanting him. To be honest it's very difficult to prove that other clubs wanted players what with so many rumours that fly about from bullshit sources. 
  • Options
    Remember the Welsh team that included, among others - Southall (no, not that c***), Speed, Giggs, Rush, Hughes, Saunders etc.? Should've been world beaters on paper, but hardly ripped up trees. Was that down to the management? Possibly, but I'm not sure you can always lay the blame for a team of (supposedly) decent players not performing down to bad management. Especially when there's other constraints that need to be considered, eg. The Welsh squad of the early 90's needed to obviously be Welsh,  or close to it. And our squad has been put together with the caps in place. Again, as said on the other thread, the management deserves criticism, but I do feel some of it seems a little disproportionate
    Agree with what you say there mate.
    Getting back to Charlton I wouldn't call any of our present midfield players dregs but they just haven't gelled as a unit.
    We must have about 10 fairly decent midfield players in our squad but whatever formation Bowyer uses and whatever players he picks it never seems to work. 
    The 2nd half against Wimbledon being about the only time in the last dozen or so games being the exception. 
    I said on another thread it's like trying to put a jigsaw puzzle together but with pieces from different puzzles they just don't fit.
    We know losing our two best defender's has cost us this season but it's our misfiring midfield that baffles me the most. 
  • Options
    Still nobody has come on to identify the dregs of this squad that was. Scraped together at the last minute..... ??? Yet loads have been claiming it on a weekly basis. I expect to come back later, and see them named........ 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes boss

😉
  • Options
    There aren't really any that we have now.

Last season you could absolutely put Joe Ledley and David Davis into the 'we need someone it doesn't matter who' category.

Even Matt Smith who did nothing of note for us is playing regularly and performing well for Doncaster who are above us in the table.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Did ‘loads’ on here refer to our summer signings as the dregs? Or did most of them point to the extenuating circumstances which resulted in a quickly assembled squad from a player pool that was available. It depends what your agenda is I suppose but I have a lot of unease with anti Bowyer tub thumping akin to that which eventually saw a very hard done by Chris Powell removed from post. 

LB’s made mistakes and I did not agree with the public dressing down of players but the ‘lost dressing room’ mantra has been disproven by the fight backs from Rochdale and Swindon plus the effort at P’boro. TS will ultimately decide when Bowyers time is up and I’ll go with that in due course meanwhile he still gets my support and I reckon the majority of the fan base at least until the end of the season.
    Exactly this. Not sure what the point of the thread is. Not seen anyone call our players "dregs", but nobody can deny it was a quickly assembled squad based on whoever was still available at the time. Undoubtedly some "first picks" may have already gone elsewhere, but they still woukdnt have gone out and signed people who they thought were "shit" would they.

Flip the question around and you could ask how many of the new signings have really gone on to pull up trees? You would have expected some of them to have done better than they have. In fact I think the two central defenders had impressed most, but theyve been out injured for months now.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    RedChaser said:
    Did ‘loads’ on here refer to our summer signings as the dregs? Or did most of them point to the extenuating circumstances which resulted in a quickly assembled squad from a player pool that was available. It depends what your agenda is I suppose but I have a lot of unease with anti Bowyer tub thumping akin to that which eventually saw a very hard done by Chris Powell removed from post. 

LB’s made mistakes and I did not agree with the public dressing down of players but the ‘lost dressing room’ mantra has been disproven by the fight backs from Rochdale and Swindon plus the effort at P’boro. TS will ultimately decide when Bowyers time is up and I’ll go with that in due course meanwhile he still gets my support and I reckon the majority of the fan base at least until the end of the season.
    Exactly this. Not sure what the point of the thread is. Not seen anyone call our players "dregs", but nobody can deny it was a quickly assembled squad based on whoever was still available at the time. Undoubtedly some "first picks" may have already gone elsewhere, but they still woukdnt have gone out and signed people who they thought were "shit" would they.

Flip the question around and you could ask how many of the new signings have really gone on to pull up trees? You would have expected some of them to have done better than they have. In fact I think the two central defenders had impressed most, but theyve been out injured for months now.
    I used dregs because it was used by someone, I can't remember who, to explain our poor form.  I asked them who they considered dregs.  They rephrased it, but again with out actually naming who they were referring to. 

Multiple people on other threads have said, using verious, different adjectives, that you can't judge the manager because the players are not good enough.  Yet no one as been able to tell me who these poor players are.

To answer your flipped question none.   
  • Options
    "Surplus to needs", not "dregs".
  • Options
    No dregs, just forming the opinion that i dont rate Bowyer as a coach or manager of men.

Hope thats ok and does not offend anyones delicate CAFC sensibilities on here?
  • Options
    It scares me that so many people are are 100% of the opinion, that our two best players by a Country Mile are Inniss an Famewo.  Now whilst they had put together a good central pairing, who’s to say that will be the case when/If they return. When Lyle returned form his injury last season, he struggled to get back to form. As I have said elsewhere, every week they don’t play, they seem to become better and better players. Let’s stop hanging our hat, on their return, as being the saviour of our season.
  • Options
    No dregs, just forming the opinion that i dont rate Bowyer as a coach or manager of men.

Hope thats ok and does not offend anyones delicate CAFC sensibilities on here?
    Why do you think you're offending anyone mate?
  • Options
    There aren't really any that we have now.

Last season you could absolutely put Joe Ledley and David Davis into the 'we need someone it doesn't matter who' category.

Even Matt Smith who did nothing of note for us is playing regularly and performing well for Doncaster who are above us in the table.
    There's the clue, playing regularly. Bowyer is always changing personnel and formations so no one plays long enough to establish understanding and partnerships.