Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johnnie Robinson

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2021
    RedChaser said:
    First saw him in the customary pre season friendly at Welling and he was very chatty that day during the game not only with his team mates but the fans along the front of the stand opposite the dugouts. Didn’t overly impress but turned out to be a very good player for us who gave his all for the badge.
    Robinson made his debut at home (Upton Park) vs Millwall in October 1992 - we lost 2-0 naturally and he signed the week before that game.

As others have said Robbo didn’t do much - he actually lost his place to Mark Robson - until Les Reed arrived and he was fantastic in 95/96 on the left.

Funny how the mind plays tricks on you, that was the ‘Back to The Valley’ season and he made 15 league appearances but I’m dammed if I can recall seeing him play then despite having a season ticket 🤔. 

The Welling pre season match which is ingrained in my memory must have been July 93 then, now where did I put my glasses 🤓.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Im ashamed to say that I thought he was just a cheap replacement bought to keep us quiet when they sold Robert Lee.
    He probably was.  That doesn't stop him being the icon he became.  If ever a player wore their heart on their sleeve.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I'll  never forget the goal he scored up at Huddersfield years ago around Christmas, absolute cracker. 
    That's exactly what the black shorts we played in last night reminded me of - remember watching it on TV.
    That is a quite outrageous goal.
  • Options
    Certainly think the banter will be flowing on Saturday between Robbo, curbs and Scott Minto.
    Would be nice to get Carl Leaburn on Valley Pass whilst in lockdown. Curbs, Carl, Robbie, Brownie, Minto can you imagine.
    Fans like me  would go into meltdown.
    Carlo was the pundit a couple of weeks ago when Minto and Curbs were self isolating
    Ah missed that. What game was that?
    Accrington at home
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    First saw him in the customary pre season friendly at Welling and he was very chatty that day during the game not only with his team mates but the fans along the front of the stand opposite the dugouts. Didn’t overly impress but turned out to be a very good player for us who gave his all for the badge.
    Robinson made his debut at home (Upton Park) vs Millwall in October 1992 - we lost 2-0 naturally and he signed the week before that game.

As others have said Robbo didn’t do much - he actually lost his place to Mark Robson - until Les Reed arrived and he was fantastic in 95/96 on the left.

It was quite nice to have 3 options in the wide positions in Newton, Robinson and Robson. I remember the 2 Robbos would regularly swap wings in matches!
  • Options
    Add me to the list of those having Robinson in their all time Charlton team. Absolutely loved him as a player. Tenacious and willing to run through walls whilst wearing the shirt. You can’t ask for more than that.
    The only criticism I have of him is him taking a penalty early on in a game when he'd put us 2-0 up so he wanted to get his hat-trick.  His penalty was pony and Curbs was furious - he had some choice words for the post-game press conference.  Still, he made up for it with his penalty in the Play-Off Final.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I'll  never forget the goal he scored up at Huddersfield years ago around Christmas, absolute cracker. 
    That's exactly what the black shorts we played in last night reminded me of - remember watching it on TV.
    That is a quite outrageous goal.
    When he looked as if he was going to have a shot I shouted at telly 'don't shoot from there you idiot'. Oh well what do I know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Add me to the list of those having Robinson in their all time Charlton team. Absolutely loved him as a player. Tenacious and willing to run through walls whilst wearing the shirt. You can’t ask for more than that.
    The only criticism I have of him is him taking a penalty early on in a game when he'd put us 2-0 up so he wanted to get his hat-trick.  His penalty was pony and Curbs was furious - he had some choice words for the post-game press conference.  Still, he made up for it with his penalty in the Play-Off Final.
    WBA at home. 
  • Options
    Remember one game where we played Robinson, Newton and Mortimer. Plenty of width there!

I think Robbi is one of my all time faves. He embodied everything about Charlton in the 90s
  • Options
    Great player, one of my favourites. I seem to remember full-backs in the Championship struggling to deal with him twisting and turning out on the wing. In the Prem he came across as more hardworking than skillful, I remember Giggs telling a story about one of his teammates coming off the pitch and complaining about what a nightmare he was to play against.

Delighted he'll be on the show on Saturday. 
  • Options
    loved his goal celebrations - looked like a fan who had scored after winning a chance to play for the addicks, always went mental.

Use to go to his half term soccer schools too when i was a kid and discovered i was alright at goalkeeping. 
  • Options
    My West Ham supporting mate always mentions the match at the Valley when we smashed them 4-2 and Robinson came on a tore Julian Dicks a new arsehole - we were 2-1 down, Robinson came on and destroyed them - Dicks couldn’t handle him at all
  • Options
    I vaguely remember a game where we beat Ipswich of a frosty Valley pitch and Robinson missed a penalty which would have given him a hat-trick and Curbs was cross with him for taking it. I can't recall the exact score and am not 100% it was Ipswich. Can anybody recall it?
  • Options
    I vaguely remember a game where we beat Ipswich of a frosty Valley pitch and Robinson missed a penalty which would have given him a hat-trick and Curbs was cross with him for taking it. I can't recall the exact score and am not 100% it was Ipswich. Can anybody recall it?
    Said earlier it was v WBA 
  • Options
    Think one thing about Robbo thats obvious is that he just enjoyed playing football, like a kid would & probably felt lucky he could do it week in & week out. 

Legend and looking forward to hearing his contribution Saturday!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    A tad controversial, but Just wondering as Thomas has some medical connections we could could start cloning the DNA of some of our favourite players, could take our academy to a new level!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't remember the game. Valley before what is now the north east bit was finished. Ball goes out of play into a sort of building site. Young ball boy faffs about a bit not knowing what to do. Robinson over the advert, over the fence, runs through the detritus, carries the ball back and takes the throw-in.

Top man.