Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best footballer seen live.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Saw Cristiano Ronaldo playing for Real Madrid at hone he scored a hat trick that day,  made it all look quite ordinary and routine, and easy!

Made you think why can’t more players have an appetite for scoring goals, particularly Charlton ones!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    George Best - the best I've seen, the best there ever was.

I would add Henry, C. Ronaldo and Vieira.

Edit: One I forgot to mention - Paul Scholes. I went to a Wolves/Man U game - a mate of mine has a box there, and he absolutely controlled the game when hardly ever leaving the centre circle. United won 5-0 I seem to remember
  • Options
    Freddie Kanoute gave a near perfect performance once against us at the valley. That always stuck with me.
  • Options
    Stuart Leary.......and I say that unashamedly.
  • Options
    George Best, Allan Simonson, Claus Jensen. 

Plus some other teams' players too, I guess. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    In my mind the greatest players of all time are Pele, Maradona , Messi and Ronaldo.

I've only seen one of those play live, therefore the greatest player I've ever seen is Ronaldo.

If the question is actually, who played the best in any game I've ever seen then that would probably be Ronaldo as well, or maybe Henry. Or maybe Mark Aizlewood.
  • Options
    I've seen Messi live for Barcelona so has to be him.

Best i saw v Charlton were Ronaldo and Henry.

Honourable mentions go to Gazza in the game mentioned earlier in the thread, and Kanchelskis in that FA Cup quarter final where we took over 10k. To this day i'd say he's probably still the fastest player i've ever seen.
  • Options
    Glenn Hoddle - a game at White Hart Lane - Dad and I were guests of one of his contractors - I can’t remember who they were playing, but he just ran the show - pinging passes all over the pitch - class

Why England didn’t build a team around Hoddle I’ll never understand
    My favourite player when I was growing up - loved watching him play, and at a time when pitches certainly weren't as good as they are now.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Cristiano Ronaldo, in his first season in England.

It was the game where people refer to Kishishev going in hard on him. However, over the course of the match Ronaldo’s skill and pace absolutely tore us a new one.

He was going past players with skills that I couldn’t even wrap my head around. Like some sort of optical illusion! 
    I thought he was a lot better when he returned 3-4 years later. 

Giggs always played well at the Valley but for raw technique, it has to be Zola. 
  • Options
    Wouldn't put many ahead of Di Canio.
  • Options
    Xavi.

Went to Barcelona v Sevilla back in 2009, unfortunately they rested Messi as it was between the home and away semis v Chelsea in the Champions' Lge (the one where Chelsea were absolutely robbed by the ref), but Xavi and Iniesta's one touch passing, finding ridiculous angles and spaces that didn't seem to be there two seconds ago was ridiculous and a joy to watch.

Sevilla were 3rd or 4th in the league if I remember rightly and Barcelona battered them out of sight.
  • Options
    C Ronaldo and Henry

Honorary mentions to Giggs, Roy Keane, Vieira, Bergkamp, Gazza. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Bobby Charlton, saw him at Upton Park when i was a kid. Pure Class, and a gentleman.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    Kenny Dalglish

Another vote for Kenny Dalglish. I’ve not seen another forward be so pivotal in a team. I thought Messi was half decent when I saw Barcelona tonk Osasuna 5 or 6-1.
  • Options
    Messi, but when I saw he was quite young (2008, so early 20s?) And not the best player in the game... That was riquelme who scored two thunderbolt freekicks. Even found footage here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hrbq8MMgbx0
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The Ginola performance was in '99. We went in 1-0 up but there must've been something in David's half time orange

He came out 2nd half with every intention of destroying us single handedly, without a doubt the best I have ever seen an individual play, we were lucky to lose 1-4
  • Options
    Zidane is the best I’ve seen live.
    Jealous of that. Would have loved to have watched that Madrid side live that had him and Ronaldo in it. Always wonder just how good Ronaldo would have been without the injuries. He was ridiculously good with 1 decent knee 
  • Options
    There's a lot of conflation going on of outstanding single performances, (and hard to disagree with most of them too), and genuine "best evers".

I've been lucky enough to see Pele, Best, Moore (and Der Kaiser) from back in the 70's so past their best by that stage. But they were unquestionably among the best ever. I've seen all the others mentioned too, except Messi and the fat Ronaldo, but the one I'm gutted about never seeing live more than the rest is ZZ.

An easier question is the best ever seen playing for us, which is only ever going to be Simmo. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Christiano for me, have seen him and Messi live and both are fantastic, but Ronaldo had an ability to take a game by the scruff, something I have never seen Messi do regularly.
  • Options
    Saw Leo Messi score a hatrrick for barca against atletico 10 years ago 
  • Options
    Best player I saw live was George Best - absolutely took Tottenham apart at White Hart Lane (can't remember the year).
     Also used to watch a lot of youth football years ago and three players stand out in the memory bank as different class - Paul Walsh, Neil Webb and Alan Dickens.
  • Options
    Cristiano Ronaldo, simply for what he has gone on to achieve. His ability to run at speed and do that chop turn on the ball was frightening.

Scholes was amazing, his movement and passing was unrivalled.

Ronaldinho when at Barcelona was a freak, so strong on the ball. 

Plus many more, Cristiano is the best player I have seen in the flesh though.
  • Options
    Too many to mention but all the 1966 World Cup winning squad Stanley Matthews, George Best, former European Footballers of the year Allan Simonsen and Kevin Keegan, Thiery Henry, Christiano Ronaldo just off the top of my head 😉.
  • Options
    Jan Molby in his more corpulent years when playing for Barnsley at the Valley. Ran the game from the centre circle. Bows had a couple of bites and bounced off..John barnes for Watford in the cup at the Valley. Kancheslkis in the 94 cup game at Old Trafford. his name was probably eclipsed by greater ones at Man U at the time, but he was an outstanding winger that won that game almost on his own
  • Options
    I'd certainly put him above Simonsen.
  • Options
    I'd certainly put him above Simonsen.
    Leave the beers alone 😉
  • Options
    Best player I have seen live was Gazza, saw him at the old den (don't ask) when Spurs beat them 5 0, he was fantastic and believe it or not the home fans applauded him off the pitch.
  • Options
    Zidane is the best I’ve seen live.
    Jealous of that. Would have loved to have watched that Madrid side live that had him and Ronaldo in it. Always wonder just how good Ronaldo would have been without the injuries. He was ridiculously good with 1 decent knee 
    The game I saw him in was the 2000 European Championship final. The French team had so many good players, but Zidane ran the show. Rolls Royce player. Never looked flustered or under any pressure and could pick a pass without even looking.