Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton's first international signing

For the club history buffs... who was Charlton's first offshore signing?

It's a given that he had a season ending injury not long after arriving and that he failed the height test. However, how did he settle in both on and off the pitch? What environmental stuff made the club take that leap to recruit offshore? How was he identified? What happened to the player after leaving Charlton?

Apologies if already covered somewhere in the depths of the forum.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    off the top of my head, Gerry Keizer signed 1931 and born in Holland was the first "foreigner"  but had already been playing in England.

First player signed direct from abroad was probably one of the South Africans.  Leary and Firmani came in 1950 but think there were some before them.

We'd had over player born overseas ie India, Barbados, Mexico (possibly) but all were raised in the UK
  • Options
    O’Linn arrived from South Africa in 1947. I can’t see if he played for any SA teams. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    O’Linn arrived from South Africa in 1947. I can’t see if he played for any SA teams. 
    Changed his name from Olinski in South Africa to avoid anti-Semitism
  • Options
    Changed his name from Olinski in South Africa to avoid anti-Semitism
    He changed his name to an Irish sounding one?! Back in the day that would be a fry pan into the fire situation wouldn't it have?
  • Options
    Not the first, and maybe not a full International at the time, but Hans Jepson must rank highly amongst our International signings. 
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    I thought it was a Belgian called Albert Icks. Centre forward I think. c 1915
    The supporters really took to him but he didn’t fit the managers work ethic so he was rarely played despite a poor run of defeats. 
    The fans protested and at one match even held up banners that said “ ADD ICKS.”
    That soon caught on. 
    (It is lockdown!)
    I'll give you a sympathy lol...
  • Options
    What about Rolp LaFoi?
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    The supporters really took to him but he didn’t fit the managers work ethic so he was rarely played despite a poor run of defeats. 
    That soon caught on. 
    (It is lockdown!)
    Museum might run this story in very early April
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kentred2 said:
    That soon caught on. 
    (It is lockdown!)
    I heard a similar tale about Colin Robb, a Scottish center foward. 
  • Options
    Didn’t we sign a fella from The Far East back in the early 30’s.........Canvey Island I think it was?