Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hip Replacements

Comments

• Options
    Your pencilled in for Saturday
    Lee

Ps speedy recovery 
  • Options
    Worst nightmare for me - had to have a catheter as the bladder wasn’t emptying. 
    Worse than the bloody op !
  • Options
    Good luck with your recovery Alan.
  • Options
    I don't have any experience of this, but I do know that the hip replacement guy is the coolest dude in the hospital when the ultrasound guy is on leave.  Here's wishing you a speedy recovery, Alan.
  • Options
    I am glad that it went well Alan and the fact that you said they are planning to send you home tomorrow is very encouraging. I found myself doing the exercises on the hour.. every hour. It is normal at this stage to  struggle to get in and out of bed.  Good luck with recovery. At least you haven't missed any home games.  I missed 2/3 games due to "injury" and made it back for the Doncaster play offs in my crutches in a cab. Went to Wembley with my crutches. The stewards at Wembley apologized that I had to be searched and nearly left my crutches behind. Then in the Swan in the evening I realized I left my crutches behind in the pub when I got to the bus stop and had to hurry back to go and get them from the pub.  I kept my crutches as I wasn't quite ready and also it gives space around you when you do venture out. It saves you been knocked and acts as a barrier...  
  • Options
    Glad it went well, here's to a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    They'll want you to get home quickly to free up the bed - I'm assuming they'll arrange for some rehab at home.

Hope your pain isn't too bad.
  • Options
    They'll want you to get home quickly to free up the bed - I'm assuming they'll arrange for some rehab at home.

Thank you. The physio is due at 9 so I’ll know more then I think. So far so good with the pain -calm before the storm ?!
    However, major issues with the catheter during the night ! It’s out now and hoping it stays that way !
  • Options
    The sooner you are up and about the better - just need to get through the pain. Good luck with the physio.
  • Options

Thank you. The physio is due at 9 so I’ll know more then I think. So far so good with the pain -calm before the storm ?!
    However, major issues with the catheter during the night ! It’s out now and hoping it stays that way !
    Be VERY careful when you get home - it’s very icy - best of luck - I don’t know anyone who hasn’t found a hip replacement anything but life changing in a positive way
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just got home. Didn’t need another catheter thank God. On crutches and have various pieces of equipment. Don’t think I’ll be walking outside till the weather improves though !
    Nice one. Wishing you a speedy recovery back at home. 
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the well wishes and great advice, it’s all much appreciated
  • Options
    Glad you're back home quickly - best to be out of hospital. Hope the pain isn't too bad.
  • Options
    Glad you're back home quickly - best to be out of hospital. Hope the pain isn't too bad.
    Thank you. It’s not too bad thanks. Taking paracetamol regularly but will only take the codeine when I really need to. Yes, I’m glad to be home. I wonder how many days I’d have been in if I’d had it done 20/30 years ago ?!
  • Options
    Thought I’d write a little follow up after my surgery, which to say the least, hasn’t gone well.
    First 3 weeks went great, walking ok and feeling little pain. Then - boom.
    Agony in the whole leg and appearance of red spots from wound to toes. That was the day after my Covid jab. As my bloods read ok and the X-ray was fine, I was sent home from a&e that day. 2 weeks later I developed a weird red complexion on my shins and feet. The feet were cold at night and almost blue. 
    The Gp and hospitals told me that it would clear up.
    Last week, the shins began being painful with the veins almost varicose in look.
    Last night at 1am I awoke to severe pain in the groin and a burning feeling in the shin. I succumbed to the pain at lunchtime and was again taken into a&e. This time I was seen by orthopaedic docs who ran loads of blood tests and an X-ray. They believe I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome which is caused by injury or an op and can last months or even years.
    So, I’m on tramadol, pregabalin and paracetamol. My recovery is way behind. I should be driving, back to work and walking without crutches by now. I really need to get back to work.
    I am so down at the moment and can’t believe I’m in more pain now than before the op.
  • Options
    So sorry to read this, @alan dugdale.

I do hope now you have got a proper diagnosis, some treatment will soon follow and that you will soon be feeling more positive.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this, let's hope it clears up soon.
    My mate had problems a couple of years ago (not hip related) but post shingles.
    The doctor said his pain could last forever and my mate was really down.
    It cleared up and went completely after a few months. Take care.
  • Options
    Thanks fellas. I read up on it tonight when I came home,it doesn’t make for great reading !
    Hopefully, I’ll have a similar result as your mate, CE.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Alan, best of luck with the recovery. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope you feel better soon Alan.
  • Options
    Thanks fellas. I read up on it tonight when I came home,it doesn’t make for great reading !
     You should get a program of rehab if you're diagnosed with CRPS to help minimise the pain. I did some rehab work with a patient who needed therapy with their hand which had nerve damage and they were given exercises to do.

There are a lot of treatments available and I hope you get on top of it. 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Alan,

I believe that is what I had way back in 1984 when I shattered my elbow and following 7 operations I was in constant pain. Of course in those days it was considered all in the mind, especially as I was 11!

FWIW, I had physio 3 times a week for a little over two years which certainly helped (the Sri Lankan cricket team physio to be precise, he worked part time at the Brook!). My RE teacher (an ex monk!) was also really helpful and taught me how through mind and meditation to manage the pain, almost distracting the brain. It subsided over the years and was certainly manageable. I still get some pain now but believe that is more arthritis than anything.

I'm sure diagnosis and treatment much better now (Hoof-It_up........ above), but very good luck. 
  • Options
    Really hope this clears up, get well soon
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Alan. I know it’s easier said than done but stay positive. 
  • Options
     You should get a program of rehab if you're diagnosed with CRPS to help minimise the pain. I did some rehab work with a patient who needed therapy with their hand which had nerve damage and they were given exercises to do.

That’s good to know, thanks for that. 
    I’m seeing my Gp on Monday to, hopefully, plan the way forward. I’d never heard of CRPS until yesterday and I’m a bit daunted by it, having read up on it. 
    Atleast this morning’s ultrasound didn’t show any blood clots. 
  • Options

I’m seeing my Gp on Monday to, hopefully, plan the way forward. I’d never heard of CRPS until yesterday and I’m a bit daunted by it, having read up on it. 
    I've sent you a PM.
  • Options

I've sent you a PM.
    Thanks mate. I’m not ignoring you - I will call. I’ve either been at a medical appointment or out of it  -you’ll see why when you read on !
    I saw my surgeon and an anaesthetist on Tuesday. To say I’m shell shocked and overwhelmed is an understatement.
    They  confirmed CRPS which, tbh, scares the shit out of me. In addition to developing that uncommon disorder I have 2 other issues of which I had no idea of having.
    My wound hasn’t entirely healed and had started leaking a bit last weekend. Turns out that I’m allergic to the surgical glue, another not very common issue.
    And to cap it all, my hip isn’t working properly. He suspects it’s a tendon issue but couldn’t examine me much due to the wound issue ! So, I have an MRI on Wednesday. 
    Hopefully, the wound will clear by Tuesday and the MRI will show an easily repairable tendon or whatever. 
    I assumed that there was one reason for all the pain and lack of mobility, not 3. 
    So, I’m zombied out on tramadol, pregabalin and a strong anti histamine praying that my life won’t be too affected by the CRPS. 
    Absolute nightmare and feeling so gutted.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I’m sorry to hear this latest update Alan which is disappointing when you hear a hip replacement is quite straightforward nowadays. I have my knee replacement booked for next month and I’m sure they will highlight the possibilities of something going wrong. However, Nothing can really prepare you for these additional events and the continuing discomfort. At least the hospital now know what the issues are and dealing with them. Stay strong and focus on the end game of when this nightmare is over.

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’m sorry to hear this latest update Alan which is disappointing when you hear a hip replacement is quite straightforward nowadays. I have my knee replacement booked for next month and I’m sure they will highlight the possibilities of something going wrong. However, Nothing can really prepare you for these additional events and the continuing discomfort. At least the hospital now know what the issues are and dealing with them. Stay strong and focus on the end game of when this nightmare is over.

Thanks for that. Good luck with your knee replacement, I’m sure it will be fine. The odds of what has happened with me, were huge according to the surgeon. 
    You’re right about it being good that they know what’s wrong with me now, I’m taking that as a big positive.
    Many thanks mate.