Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swindon Town on Brink of Collapse: Lee Power

Comments

• Options
    Surely if Swindon go bust, they’ll be pressure on the EFL to scrap the salary cap next Season and not even have a vote?
    But there lies the issue of EFL not having any actual powers. They can’t go ahead and scrap rules without a vote from the clubs who make up the EFL. That’s how I thought it worked anyway. Could be wrong. 
  • Options
    Surely if Swindon go bust, they’ll be pressure on the EFL to scrap the salary cap next Season and not even have a vote?
    But there lies the issue of EFL not having any actual powers. They can’t go ahead and scrap rules without a vote from the clubs who make up the EFL. That’s how I thought it worked anyway. Could be wrong. 
    Your right, it's the same with the fit and proper test etc. 
  • Options
    Lots of moans about the wage cap again. 

I've said it before but I'll say again if the club is really that vexed about the cap, and clubs won't vote to change it, they should take it to the courts. On the face of it, the cap is a clear restraint of trade. 

• Options

I've said it before but I'll say again if the club is really that vexed about the cap, and clubs won't vote to change it, they should take it to the courts. On the face of it, the cap is a clear restraint of trade. 

It’s not that simple though is it. If CAFC took this to court, do you think the EFL would not seek retribution somehow in the future. It’s not always possible to take the nuclear option to solve problems.  It’s a matter of balance and, from what I have seen of Sandgard so far, he is an astute businessman who does not want to make enemies.  The simplest solution for us long term is to get out of this shit league and back to our natural level in the championship.  It will happen. Maybe not this year, but we all know it will. 
  • Options
    The cap is too blunt, that’s my complaint with it, which is probably why we hate it so much, yet the guys at Accrington will love it as it does load the odds in their favour.

I would expect it to be reformed this summer, it’ll have to take into account clubs incomes, the differences between northern hell holes and clubs in London, or the PFA will win a court case and it’ll fall apart
  • Options

Is it not just a privately run competition that can set its own rules of entry ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Is it not just a privately run competition that can set its own rules of entry ?

The rules are set by the 72 members - and the 72 members can vote to change them.
    The clubs in Leagues 1 and 2 cocked it up (well enough of them anyway) but it could be easily reversed if there was a will to do so.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Was the vote for the cap secret or is there a list of for and against?
    I don't think there is a list but most clubs were quite vocal about it at the time.

It's pretty clear, from a quick Google, that clubs who's wage bill was less than the cap think it's a brilliant idea and those who's is/was higher don't agree.

Reason #3864 the wage cap is stupid.  Next season (assuming we are still in league 1 and the wage cap increases). 

Next season Albie Morgan will count, and count as the league average, or less (no idea what he is on but I doubt its much).  Say a Lincoln, possibly the smallest club in the championship fancy him, and make it known they will pay him 5k a week in January. We can't give him a pay rise, because of the cap.

How is that right?  How is that fair?  I wonder if Accrington Stanley will be so keen on it when St Mirran and Motherwell start tapping their players up for 3k a week. 
    Totally agree, I’m 100% against it and don’t see how it’s fair on clubs and players. I’m fairly certain (without anything to back this up) that some players are unemployed because of the cap.

om interested to l ow if Swindon were for or against. Not that the cap has gotten them into this mess, but if there wasn’t a cap, they might have sold another player. I know what I have said is pure speculation. But the fact that it’s being speculated shows what a nonsense the cap actually is.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Or maybe they would have gone bust earlier by paying more wages they can’t cover. 
    Good point.

but then FFP would have prevented a stupid overspend?
  • Options
    FFP had been blown apart by dodgy clubs bending and breaking the rules without any or very little sanctions ie Derby and Wednesday.

So the clubs looked for an alternative.

The wage cap is easy to measure but like most "easy" answers it doesn't work or is grossly unfair. Such is the nature of quick fixes to complicated problems.

The success of Accrington and Lincoln (only partially due to the cap TBF) will only encourage smaller income clubs to continue it.

Richer/higher turnover clubs restricted by it will vote against it.

It was very close (one vote) last time and maybe as close again.

Because it's "unfair" to Charlton now we have a good, rich owner means nothing to the other clubs.

Self-interest will win as it always does.

Again the EFLs weakness in enforcing their own rules with Wednesday and Bury are in no small way one reason the club's voted for the cap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BalladMan said:

It’s not that simple though is it. If CAFC took this to court, do you think the EFL would not seek retribution somehow in the future. It’s not always possible to take the nuclear option to solve problems.  It’s a matter of balance and, from what I have seen of Sandgard so far, he is an astute businessman who does not want to make enemies.  The simplest solution for us long term is to get out of this shit league and back to our natural level in the championship.  It will happen. Maybe not this year, but we all know it will. 
    I take your point but what are they going to do take retribution - order referees to be biased against us? And let's face it, they hardly went out of their way to help us during our takeover by Southall et Al, did they?

If Charlton are seriously concerned about that prospect, then they could get together with the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth and bring a combined action.

At the end of the day you either accept the cap or try and change it. Just moaning about it is pointless. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Interesting point but even if you are a privately run organisation you cannot do something that is against the law. 
  • Options
    Then when we go up to the championship and complain how the bigger clubs have an advantage. 
  • Options
    Whenever an attempt is made to cap businesses ( which after all football clubs are ) it is doomed for failure. You cannot suppress market forces with any success. Yes at the moment in league one we are one of the bigger clubs but hopefully if things go to plan and we do end up in the premiership it would be equally wrong for us to complain that the big 5 clubs have an unfair advantage
  • Options
    If Accrington and Lincoln go up this season and two decent sized clubs come down, surely there's a good chance the cap would be scrapped next season anyway.
  • Options
    Out of interest what is the penalty for breaking the rule.
  • Options
    Think for every pound over, you get fined three. £100k overspend equals £300k fine
  • Options
    Well done Thomas, you've saved another club, at least temporarily.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Think for every pound over, you get fined three. £100k overspend equals £300k fine
    Sounds about right, it was definitely prohibitive.
  • Options
    Out of interest what is the penalty for breaking the rule.
    I could be completely wrong, but thought it was a 15 points deduction?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I thought there was a "margin of error" that was something like 5% that incurred a fine of a % of the over spend.  Over that it becomes "deliberate" and more serious undefined penalties come into play.  Although I haven't double checked recently. 
  • Options
    I'm amazed there haven't been more financial issues in L1 and L2, or day I say it fire sales of players in January
    There’s a lot of problems at non league level. Dulwich hamlet, for instance don’t think they’ll be able to fulfil this season’s fixtures, they usually have big crowds for non league and are heavily reliant on them for their recent success. 
  • Options
    Was the guest of Lee Power in the directors box for a game so have soft spot for them. Someone mentioned Swindon has a population of 250k. Maybe they should put an appeal out there to buy virtual tickets.
  • Options
    Lots said about only one vote in it re the L1 salary cap. Not correct acc to this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/07/league-one-and-league-two-clubs-pass-vote-to-bring-in-salary-cap

• Options
    Lots said about only one vote in it re the L1 salary cap. Not correct acc to this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/07/league-one-and-league-two-clubs-pass-vote-to-bring-in-salary-cap

I think the one vote may have been because a bigger than 50% majority was required.
  • Options
    TBH anything that levels the playing field (apologies) has to be for the good of the game, if not for the good of individuals clubs that have more money.  It is a nonsense to have a salary cap in one league and not in another.