Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

R I P John Pullin

The England (sometimes captain) and British Lions hooker in the amateur era has died from pancreatic cancer aged 79 .. unusually, he was in three different teams that beat the All Blacks .. England, the Lions and the Barbarians

Comments

• Great player. 
    RIP JP
  • Remember him well.
    RIP.....Sir.....RIP.
  • edited February 2021
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA

Was one of the many links in the chain in the greatest try ever scored.
    Gareth Edwards for the Barbarians vs All Blacks 1973 of course. Cliff Morgan’s immortal commentary.
    Great memories.

Thank God the ref missed the (marginally) forward pass.
    Cheers John.
  • edited February 2021
    One of my hero’s, I was a hooker at school when he was in his prime, great amateur player. 

Actually brought back a great memory. Pretty certain I listen to either the England or barbarians game in a mini on the way home from a very drunk night at Hades disco in Margate, 3 blokes and 3 nurses in the car. But to be honest we were more interested in the rugby, it was a great night that included not only New Zealand losing but having a dance with Dusty Springfield, well until this big bouncer thought we should stop😀. Blimey must be well over 50 years ago now, Christ I’m old.
  • edited February 2021
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA

Was one of the many links in the chain in the greatest try every scored.
    Great memories.

Thank God the ref missed the (marginally) forward pass.
    Cheers John.
    indeed, nowadays 'the greatest ever try' would have been disallowed, the pass by Tom David was well forward, but still what a pass it was !! ..
    that BaBas team was based on the terrific Lions squad, so successful the year before in NZ .. that team in itself was based on the fabulous and all conquering Welsh side of that era ..
    England Rugby is in urgent need of a Carwyn James type coach to get the team playing some proper stuff

EDIT .. just watched (for the 100th time) the game once more  .. the 'forward pass' was by Quinnell, not David .. and where were Barry John and Mervyn Davies ?