Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fave Charlton Away Game (Excluding Sunderland @ Wembley)

Comments

• Options
    Looking through the comments and not sure it’s my best away game . I am amazed that no one has mentioned the Wimbledon 4 Charlton 5 game . Bowyer hatrick and a stunner from big Fat Pete
  • Options
    Such a tough question 

completely random, but probably an away league game at Blackburn in 1992 (won 2-0). My memory in general is completely shot yet I remember this day out from start to finish so vividly. 

I remember this for the drop-dead gorgous bird working at the food and drink window in the away end at Ewood. Worth the admission price alone...   
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Millwall in the snow
    Forest in 2000
    WBA in the nineties. Midweek, Albion made it 2-0 in injury time, rained for the entire 90 minutes so we got soaked through on the terrace. The most Charlton night out ever.  
  • Options
    All three Carlisle promotion games.
    Arsenal  69
    Palace.  69

• Options
    edited February 2021
    The full members cup quarter final versus Everton in 1987.  2-2 draw aet, and won 7-6 on penalties. Terrific game with Robert Lee and Mark Stuart superb. My first trip to Goodison and I loved the ground, sitting in the seats high up behind the goal. Only one coach load on a cold February night. Great stuff...

We lost the league game against the eventual champions 2-1 a couple of weeks later. 

As an addendum...

I didn't get on with my sister, and she was getting married again on the date of the league clash. When invited, I said i couldn't go, as i hadn't been to Goodison, but had been to my sister's wedding previously.  That ended up not being true after the FMC game...but I still preferred Charlton to her!
  • Options
    The 99-00 season when we went up as Champions back to the PL I only missed one away game all season (Grimsby away on the Friday-For the life of me can’t remember why I didn’t go). 

So many good trips that season seeing us win at grounds where I had previously seen us get turned over at (Wolves, Sheffield United,Stockport). 

The Cov FA cup tie up there with the best. Losing in the next round to Bolton but going back up there the following week in the league to win 2-0. Great times
  • Options
    for me the 4-2 win at Highbury, some of the best football I have ever seen Charlton play.
  • Options
    Few of the obvious ones.

Millwall in the snow
    Coventry FA Cup
    Villa 4-3
    Palace 1-0 Todorov
    Ipswich 5-1
    Ipswich play offs
    Man Utd FA Cup

Less obvious ones that stick in the mind for good days out.

Yeovil in the rain
    Middlesbrough FA Cup although we lost
    Birmingham away 0-0 that sealed a play off spot and stopped them.
    Derby away when Martin Pringle raced away to seal the win late on
  • Options
    Villa 4 - 3

Yeovil 1 - 1. Still don't think I'll ever see another goal kick blow back out for a corner.

Also the last game of the season at Birmingham where they beat us to stay up. Shit result but meant we got out of the ground alive.
  • Options
    1. Harlow - 2-0 - last game with my Dad before he died a week later
    2. Palace away - 2-0 - Ray Treacy's cracker
    3. Palace away 1-0 - Denis in the last minute (terrible game, but Johnson missed a penalty and great ending)
    4. Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 - Johnny Jackson's free kick
    5. Oxford United 1-0 - Charlie Wright saving a penalty - I forget who scored for us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carlisle 1986 and 2012
    Villa 4-3 in 1999. 
    QPR league cup in the mid 70s
  • Options
    Carlisle in 2012 - went more in hope than expectation and was well rewarded.
    Watford a few years back when JJ got a late winner.
    Although I wasn't there, the 4-3 at Newcastle was important to me as my dad was on his deathbed and it at least gave me something positive to tell him in his final hours.
  • Options
    Millwall in the snow
    Forest in 2000
    WBA in the nineties. Midweek, Albion made it 2-0 in injury time, rained for the entire 90 minutes so we got soaked through on the terrace. The most Charlton night out ever.  
    The WBA game was 1994. Andy Hunt got their 2nd goal in the 90th minute.

The following weekend, we opened the East Stand v Southend 4-3. 
  • Options
    Few of the obvious ones.

Millwall in the snow
    Coventry FA Cup
    Villa 4-3
    Palace 1-0 Todorov
    Ipswich 5-1
    Ipswich play offs
    Man Utd FA Cup

Yeovil in the rain
    That Birmingham 0-0 was a good one. Got into a pre-match session with some Blues' fans in a back-street pub called The Cricketers Arms about 10 mins from the ground. Bravely/stupidly went back in there after the game and the same blokes were initially VERY frosty...but we ended up having another session with them and a few hours later we all went for a curry in Small Heath! 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    for me the 4-2 win at Highbury, some of the best football I have ever seen Charlton play.
    Tremendous afternoon! And some of the best football I've ever seen Arsenal play (for the first ten mins!) Took four Belgian mates to this one and they went home thinking it was how Charlton played every week! 
  • Options
    Ive said this a few times but Oldham away in the 11/12 season, 3 reds in total, 2 for us, and a gut busting effort by the team, Yann practically collapsing from exhausting at the final whistle after scoring the winner. Think it was early April but that was the game when I finally let myself believe we were going to win the league, before that I just couldn't let myself believe it was going to happen. Away stand was rocking. Great day.
  • Options
    Such a tough question 

completely random, but probably an away league game at Blackburn in 1992 (won 2-0). My memory in general is completely shot yet I remember this day out from start to finish so vividly. 

I remember this for the drop-dead gorgeous bird working at the food and drink window in the away end at Ewood. Worth the admission price alone...   
    Yep...this was the start of Blackburn's rise up the ladder. They only finished 3 points above us but won the play-offs.

Their team that day had moved on from the bog-standard Derek Fazakerley, Noel Brotherston, Terry Gennoe era. They had the likes of Bobby Mimms, Colin Price, Norman Cowans, Colin Hendry, Tim Sherwood, David Speedie and Roy Wegerle. We won pretty comfortably with goals from Robert Lee and Carl Leaburn in the 2nd half. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Few of the obvious ones.

Millwall in the snow
    Coventry FA Cup
    Villa 4-3
    Palace 1-0 Todorov
    Ipswich 5-1
    Ipswich play offs
    Man Utd FA Cup

Yeovil in the rain
    That Birmingham 0-0 was a good one. Got into a pre-match session with some Blues' fans in a back-street pub called The Cricketers Arms about 10 mins from the ground. Bravely/stupidly went back in there after the game and the same blokes were initially VERY frosty...but we ended up having another session with them and a few hours later we all went for a curry in Small Heath! 
    My first away as a 13 year old with my Dad, on the coach. He had to shield me coming out as they threw anything they could get their hands on over the dividing fence. The noise of KRO from them has never left me though. 

Brave man going back in the boozer, done similar in Preston which didn’t go so well....
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Few of the obvious ones.

Millwall in the snow
    Coventry FA Cup
    Villa 4-3
    Palace 1-0 Todorov
    Ipswich 5-1
    Ipswich play offs
    Man Utd FA Cup

Yeovil in the rain
    My first away as a 13 year old with my Dad, on the coach. He had to shield me coming out as they threw anything they could get their hands on over the dividing fence. The noise of KRO from them has never left me though. 

Brave man going back in the boozer, done similar in Preston which didn’t go so well....
    Yep, probably the loudest away ground I can remember being in that day
  • Options
    It's been mentioned upthread, but the 5-1 away at Peterborough in November 2010

Proper old-fashioned terrace (I'm too young to have experienced most of them)
    Going 4-0 up before half-time - I just remember a feeling of giddy disbelief when the fourth went in soon after the third
    Lee Martin scoring the fifth in front of us
    Semedo deliberately timewasting to get booked so that he would miss an upcoming cup game rather than a league game
    Peterborough were a decent team and went up that year, so beating them like that was completely unexpected
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wolves away 1976 FA cup , my first away game. We lost 3 0, my dad supported Wolves and he took me. I’m welling up writing this like a soppy cunt.

Chelsea in 88 obviously. What a day from the meet at the St Martin’s onwards 

Boro away in about 86. For various reasons. Mainly we ended up stranded in Redcar for 2 days with no money and a car we crashed into a sand dune. 

Liverpool . The game of ruining Stan Boardman at half time

Millwall in the snow

Boro cup quarterfinal. Great trip (RIP Duncan)

my god it’s been great.
  • Options
    Definitely Dennis Romadahls Palace game when we won in the last min. It was my mates dads 50th the night before so we started the day feeling proper rough, ended it buzzing!!
  • Options
    Wolves away 1976 FA cup , my first away game. We lost 3 0, my dad supported Wolves and he took me. I’m welling up writing this like a soppy cunt.

Chelsea in 88 obviously. What a day from the meet at the St Martin’s onwards 

Boro away in about 86. For various reasons. Mainly we ended up stranded in Redcar for 2 days with no money and a car we crashed into a sand dune. 

Liverpool . The game of ruining Stan Boardman at half time

Millwall in the snow

Boro cup quarterfinal. Great trip (RIP Duncan)

my god it’s been great.
    Redcar. Fuck me...hellish place. 
  • Options
    Saints 07/08. 1-0 Iwelumo in stoppage time

Southend 10/11 2-1 Reid in stoppage time

Palace 07/08 1-0 Todorov

Fulham FA Cup 11/12 0-4 for the day out

Blackburn 06/07 Operation Ewood for the day out
  • Options
    Most been mentioned before, but mine are:

Man City away in our Div 1 winning season - my first away match
    Beating Chelsea on pens @ Stamford Bridge
    Todorov @ Palace
    6-0 @ Barnsley
    1-0 @ Hudds in the FA Cup, Simon Church goal
    Pompey away in 2018
    2-2 @ Luton - Solly volley
    Forest away last season - first win on the road for months
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Luton away in 2018 for the epic equaliser, and for me jumping around in the front row on the twitter video 

Here it is… yesterday’s Fan Cam!

Now THIS is how you celebrate a 95th-minute equaliser away from home! 👇 #cafc pic.twitter.com/S2B86Zl2BQ

— Charlton Athletic FC (@CAFCofficial) September 30, 2018
  • Options
    Birmingham 1-1 where leon court scored a header only for them to equalise late into injury time. But the scenes were top notch when court put us 1 up.

Yann at the death to beat Bournemouth 1-0. That was when I knew we were going up.

Jacko freekick at sheffield wednesday has to be my fav.

Also watford away 4-3 on new years day I think it was.
  • Options
    Carlisle 2012.

Barnsley 6-0, had been going through a rough patch so was perfect timing personally.

Winning at Anfield in 2004, especially as we'd lost a lead up there at the same time the previous season.
  • Options
    Birmingham 1-1 where leon court scored a header only for them to equalise late into injury time. But the scenes were top notch when court put us 1 up.

Yann at the death to beat Bournemouth 1-0. That was when I knew we were going up.

Jacko freekick at sheffield wednesday has to be my fav.

Also watford away 4-3 on new years day I think it was.
    The Watford game was Red Division's finest moment. They gave it plenty for 90 mins....fair play.