Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

End of Robinson's reign similarities

edited February 2021 in General Charlton
I can't help but see the similarities between now and Karl Robinson's final season, we got off to a decent start and was in and around 4th-6th, but then a few key players got injured and we fell off the rails. We were reduced to passive displays against the decent teams and we would scrape wins against the poorer ones 1 nil, 2 1 etc. Our loss to portsmouth last week reminded me off a 4 1 loss to Peterborough towards the end off robinson, looked absolutely nothing like a promotion clash on both occasions. When people returned from injury we were plagued by late goals:Oxford, Doncaster, Blackpool.  When Bowyer took over we were revitalised, the attacking talent was unleashed as we strolled past Plymouth and Rotherham, games we would lose comfortably under Robinson. We of course reached the playoffs.  Two debates can be gathered from this in my eyes.  Firstly, Bowyer is a man to be trusted on the back of these past league 1 successes. Or on the other hand, when a team is disorganised and lacks any sort of edge to beat decent teams, it's best for a fresh change to catalyse a reaction. Although we didn't sack Robinson his decision to leave undoubtedly sparked our promotion the following season.  In my eyes this is a perfect situation and climate for a new man to come in, an experienced manager, to assess us this season and maybe revitalise us; but of course most importantly work out what we need to go up.