Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Students

2»

Comments

• Options
    A question for people doing science and similar degrees.  How are they managing your lab work, seeing as you can't set up a chemistry/physics/engineering etc. lab at home?
    At the university I work at  our lectures in our BioChem Labs are ongoing as labs are open,  At the moment a lot of the work though has been switched to producing a special disinfectant water to clean ambulances and the like. We have other lectures continuing face to face including our nurse training programmes etc.

The teams in health and allied sciences are also developing and delivering some ‘safe’ at home science packages, with either materials being delivered or experiments being run with commonly accessible household materials.

I’m delivering all my content through blackboard. Collaborate, our Politics students are getting around 8-12 contact hours per week. Plus we are running additional weekly sessions to top these up (particularly around employability and enterprise for 2nd and third years, research methods, and some seminars on research being done by the staff, or from our external collaborators)
  • Options
    http://roarnews.co.uk/2021/reggie-cide-kings-college-london-must-listen-to-its-students/

I feel this could be an interesting read for anyone looking to understand the discontent of students, particularly at Kings.

The most damning aspect for me personally, is the Principal of the university earning over 4x that of the base salary of a member of Parliament, and 3x that of the base salary of the Prime Minister, whilst the university claims they are unable to financially assist students further.
  • Options
    http://roarnews.co.uk/2021/reggie-cide-kings-college-london-must-listen-to-its-students/

I feel this could be an interesting read for anyone looking to understand the discontent of students, particularly at Kings.

The most damning aspect for me personally, is the Principal of the university earning over 4x that of the base salary of a member of Parliament, and 3x that of the base salary of the Prime Minister, whilst the university claims they are unable to financially assist students further.
    It does seem very high, but with over 26,000 students, even if he/she took no salary it wouldn't even be £15 each. I doubt the uni's overall costs have reduced much, but if they have they should refund that to students. Aren't a lot refunding accommodation costs?

I think it would have to be central government that agreed and paid for any form of refund in respect of the fee's other than a small token amount. Accommodation is a difficult one, clearly costs will be down, but overall not by much, my daughter is in private rented (although a student only block) and they have refunded about 6 weeks worth so far, we got nothing back last year as that was a private rented house.

It's hard to tell what would have happened, but my daughter being in her final year of a maths degree has really put the time in, partly aided (her own admission) by lockdown and having little else to do, therefore a few more exams to go which as long as she gets 40% will get a 1st. She may well have done anyway, but lockdown has certainly helped.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Rob7Lee said:

It does seem very high, but with over 26,000 students, even if he/she took no salary it wouldn't even be £15 each. I doubt the uni's overall costs have reduced much, but if they have they should refund that to students. Aren't a lot refunding accommodation costs?

I think it would have to be central government that agreed and paid for any form of refund in respect of the fee's other than a small token amount. Accommodation is a difficult one, clearly costs will be down, but overall not by much, my daughter is in private rented (although a student only block) and they have refunded about 6 weeks worth so far, we got nothing back last year as that was a private rented house.

It's hard to tell what would have happened, but my daughter being in her final year of a maths degree has really put the time in, partly aided (her own admission) by lockdown and having little else to do, therefore a few more exams to go which as long as she gets 40% will get a 1st. She may well have done anyway, but lockdown has certainly helped.
    I do agree on if you break down the fees, but I think its the principle that whilst a quite significant number of staff are on over 100,000+ annually, the university coming out and saying that they can't even put extra funding into the mental health services they provide certainly does seem oxymoronic. I should also add on this matter that a few years ago they spent several hundred grand trying to keep that pay private!

Agreed also that it will take government action for the refund of fees, but I think most of us would be content with some extra support with workloads- there's been a ridiculous number of essays set over the Christmas period- far more than there would be in a usual year, whilst a lot of the Humanities departments shut earlier than they would usually! 

Very glad to hear of your daughter doing well, and undoubtedly some will have benefitted from the lockdown. I think those in the practical sciences and humanities are being hit most at King's - its been nearly impossible to access the libraries which has really made doing dissertations a challenge, especially when the response of some of the departments is that we will have to fund the books we need. Compulsory readings on 100+ student courses that can only be viewed online by 1-3 people at a time in some cases. I've had friends who have had lectures recorded years ago- someone in a politics lecture where the lecturer has said about waiting for the outcome of the Brexit referendum for example! 
  • Options
    Not a bad start, bit more normal.

Does anyone know what level a student needs to be at... to get a permanent direct international move.

Level 6/bachelor's degree? Or a master's?

Can always inbox me if you want a private talk.

I've tried looking it up online but can't quite get a clear direct answer. 

I'm thinking about either doing a mechatronics apprenticeship, and or applying for Canterbury Christchurch next year. They'd accept the grades that I'm aiming to achieve.

Might move to the north east. 

Too many options, need to narrow it down etc

• Options
    Afternoon,

I am considering doing A level maths in September.

I know it is likely to be very challenging and I will be overwhelmed to begin with.

Just for warm up and consideration.

Would anyone happen to have practice papers to begin with?

I would be good enough via As level but it will probably get rather tricky following that.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Afternoon,

I know it is likely to be very challenging and I will be overwhelmed to begin with.

I would be good enough via As level but it will probably get rather tricky following that.
    I'll ask my daughter tomorrow, she finished her Maths degree last summer so may have some old A Level papers. FWIW she was of a similar mind, but did her A Level Maths and really enjoyed it then graduated with a first class honours Maths degree........ go for it!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Dave2l said:
    Afternoon,

I'll ask my daughter tomorrow, she finished her Maths degree last summer so may have some old A Level papers. FWIW she was of a similar mind, but did her A Level Maths and really enjoyed it then graduated with a first class honours Maths degree........ go for it!

A maths degree... She must have a rather high IQ. Congrats to her

Appreciated...would be very helpful 🙂👍
  • Options
    You can download past papers, mark schemes and specification from exam boards websites 
    https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-and-a-level/mathematics-a-h230-h240-from-2017/assessment/
  • Options
    Thanks, that's helpful
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Try and get your head around calculus now. I'd pretty much cruised through maths all the way up until A level, finding it all very easy until I hit calculus and really struggled
  • Options
    Try and get your head around calculus now. I'd pretty much cruised through maths all the way up until A level, finding it all very easy until I hit calculus and really struggled
    Calculus does my head on as well. That’s why I still use Fahrenheit.
  • Options
    To expand on this, I did an aerospace engineering degree within the last 7 or so yesrs but we had a fair few joint classes with mathamatics for obvious reasons, getting your head round differentiation and integration is very important and imaginery numbers are the cornerstone of everything we did.