Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Athletes and their excessive salivation

2»

Comments

• Options
    Playing football in the open air, its hard not to get that build up of thick saliva that you need to spit out. Same with the snot shots. I don't do it as much as i see some pro's do it but then i probably don't cover the same distances. 

I'll be honest tho
    , no idea why golfers do it. I also saw Tuschel do it when coming out of the tunnel before a game recently with Chelsea. No need.
  • Options
    Tissues and hankies are available.
  • Options
    for those knobs among us that do snot rocket, there is something extremely satisfying in a fine liquid execution of the art, away from the body and accurately deposited. Strangely, I can only go to the right with both nostrils. Trying to go left results in ignominious failure and very often a sticky top.  
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    It’s clearing the nose that gets me. 
    I always feel a shudder of disgust when I see footballers gobbling. Have never believed it's necessary - thats just utter bollocks.

Somewhat perversely though I find the fisherman's hankie hilarious a will literally laugh out loud if I see a good one. I think because its so audacious. 
    So, now that you've seen two people who have spent their life playing active sport telling you about their exercise induced rhinitis, you going to change your mind? Or is it all bollocks still...? 😏

No argument about Golfers doing it though. Suspect Keegan Bradley is your prime example there - and he isn't spitting because of rhinitis, he's spitting because it's a habit (totally unrelated to exercise) 
    Happy to accept your first hand testimony, still highly sceptical about the 40% figure. A bit like cyclists claiming asthma.

I believe that habit is far more explanatory for footballers just as it is golfers. Just take a look at how many feel the need to empty themselves as they are being substituted on.

• Options
    for those knobs among us that do snot rocket, there is something extremely satisfying in a fine liquid execution of the art, away from the body and accurately deposited. Strangely, I can only go to the right with both nostrils. Trying to go left results in ignominious failure and very often a sticky top.  
    Doing this is a gamble, and let's be honest because its absolutely fucking gross its something to be practiced in complete privacy. I am normally the first one into the yard back in the days I had to travel in every day and the window for practice was the 10 yards between where I parked my vehicle, behind a pillar and a blindspot on the cctv and hidden from overlooking g office windows. Had to get it right and be confident 

I fully accept this is rotten 
  • Options
    If you know you are going to snot rocket you could use a tissue.
    Snotting on anyone in your wake is just not acceptable. COVID or not.

There are more than enough breaks in any game when you could move to the side of the pitch to gob if you have to. If you can drink on a bike you can gob out on a bike.

It is your problem, don’t inflict it on others.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

There are more than enough breaks in any game when you could move to the side of the pitch to gob if you have to. If you can drink on a bike you can gob out on a bike.

Not quite sure what you mean when you say 'if you can drink on a bike you can gob out on a bike'? 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Who says anyone inflicts it on others?

You may see it from across the street, but I and I am sure others, make sure no one is around before either spitting or launching a snot rocket. 
  • Options
    But once ejected it does not dissolve into history. It  lingers and therefore affects everyone whether they see it happen or not.

Spit upon spit - its a wonder football players don't have to wear water wings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:

You may see it from across the street, but I and I am sure others, make sure no one is around before either spitting or launching a snot rocket. 
    Excellent. 
    So when you snot out on your bike you are not travelling at any speed that would disperse germs out that would exceed any reasonable safety guidelines? Whoops.

You could use tissues though. It’s not like you are going to miss out on a Gold medal at the Olympic Games is it?

That said, I have less issues with bike riders, but only those who stay away from public paths.

Nothing worse in these times than having a jogger heading towards you and you just know  that they have no intention of avoiding you. Arrogant twats who have no respect for others.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Sorry not a cyclist. I am a runner. I always move to the road to pass pedestrians or at worst will completely cross over if I am not on the side of the road that allows me to move into the road and see oncoming traffic. 

I'd suggest the types to which you refer are indeed unseasoned joggers, not people from run clubs etc where you are taught to give priority to other pedestrians/ path users and to give fair warning when passing.

Not going to apologise for other runners or even cyclists though as they're not me and I have zero control over their actions.

Personally I make sure there's no one moving towards me either on foot or bicycle when I need to unload any saliva/snot. As in no one in my line of sight. I'll also obviously give it s good bit of distance after passing someone. 

As others have said, never on a path or when someone is within reasonable distance.
  • Options
    Excessive salivation is a symptom of syphillis  by the way....
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:

Excellent. 
    So when you snot out on your bike you are not travelling at any speed that would disperse germs out that would exceed any reasonable safety guidelines? Whoops.

You could use tissues though. It’s not like you are going to miss out on a Gold medal at the Olympic Games is it?

That said, I have less issues with bike riders, but only those who stay away from public paths.

Nothing worse in these times than having a jogger heading towards you and you just know  that they have no intention of avoiding you. Arrogant twats who have no respect for others.
    Literally nothing worse? Odd hill to die on... 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sorry not a cyclist. I am a runner. I always move to the road to pass pedestrians or at worst will completely cross over if I am not on the side of the road that allows me to move into the road and see oncoming traffic. 

I'd suggest the types to which you refer are indeed unseasoned joggers, not people from run clubs etc where you are taught to give priority to other pedestrians/ path users and to give fair warning when passing.

Not going to apologise for other runners or even cyclists though as they're not me and I have zero control over their actions.

Personally I make sure there's no one moving towards me either on foot or bicycle when I need to unload any saliva/snot. As in no one in my line of sight. I'll also obviously give it s good bit of distance after passing someone. 

As others have said, never on a path or when someone is within reasonable distance.
    I overdo the social distancing when running, often moving into the middle of the road where possible. I also make a point of taking a deep breath before passing and visibly not breathing out whilst passing anyone. For that reason, I also ensure that I don't run in crowded areas.

The flipside of course, are the walking pedestrians that don't play the same game, and who, having seen you from some distance, make no effort to make any concession. Its not just some runners and cyclists that are "arrogant twats who have no respect for others"... 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I overdo the social distancing when running, often moving into the middle of the road where possible. I also make a point of taking a deep breath before passing and visibly not breathing out whilst passing anyone. For that reason, I also ensure that I don't run in crowded areas.

The flipside of course, are the walking pedestrians that don't play the same game, and who, having seen you from some distance, make no effort to make any concession. Its not just some runners and cyclists that are "arrogant twats who have no respect for others"... 
    Spot on.