Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NASA's Perseverance Rover due to land on Mars tonight

Comments

• Options
    Pretty amazing watching that.
  • Options
    Project to Mars vs Silvertown tunnel.
    Which is best?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    MrWalker said:
    Project to Mars vs Silvertown tunnel.
    Which is best?

Mankind has the ability and the resources to do both.

Wasn't aware NASA had tendered for the Silvertown Tunnel though.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    The truly amazing thing for me is that they can go on a 7 month mission and be on time to within a minute. I can't even get out of the house within 20 minutes of when I really want to.
    Aye, the gloss is off the maths a bit for me now but the Apollo stuff just blows my mind
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Bournesnr said:
    I must be alone then in thinking it’s a complete waste of money that could be better spent doing good here on earth.
    Extraordinary view.

Aside from all of the technology advances that a project like this produces, with all the associated spin-off benefits, Mars may well be our next port of call when Earth can no longer support humanity.
    As they said "paves the way for human exploration of Mars"

For me that makes it well worth whatever the cost.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not a single mask worn 
  • Options

What's that? It's not what I watched. They all had blue shirts and masks.
  • Options
    It's a gif from footage of a previous launch/landing.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    The truly amazing thing for me is that they can go on a 7 month mission and be on time to within a minute. I can't even get out of the house within 20 minutes of when I really want to.
    NASA should tender for the next South Eastern Trains contract...
    NASA don't have the level of tech required 
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    I must be alone then in thinking it’s a complete waste of money that could be better spent doing good here on earth.
    Not alone at all, I thought I was the only one. I just don't get it, must cost billions and billions and for what ?????

even if they did find something, then what?
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    I kind of get what you mean but it’s amazing that mankind have landed a car on Mars to investigate whether it once supported life and send pictures back to earth. 
    This is shite, how do you then explain to the wife that your phone doesn’t get a signal in the pub?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    'Whats the point' is a bit like the Romans scene from The life of Brian. Ever had a CAT scan ? You can thank space travel for that.

"Space race: Inventions we use every day were created for outer space" https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/39580591

• Options
    great article, guess I'm just a bit uneducated in this area (having absolutely zero interest in space et al)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For all this fantastic achievement, it is somewhat weird that on the day the US lands on Mars they fail to supply power to Texas!
  • Options
    For all this fantastic achievement, it is somewhat weird that on the day the US lands on Mars they fail to supply power to Texas!
    It was the Chinese branch. Although you would think that a nation that spends something like 45% of its funds on weapons, would have its own country in check first. Plenty of party of the states are Fked. 
  • Options
    Stig said:

It’s just my favourite NASA celebration gif - there’s some great ones online. The fist pump routine makes it for me.
  • Options
    Stig said:

It’s just my favourite NASA celebration gif - there’s some great ones online. The fist pump routine makes it for me.
    He's got to learn to box with his feet. One step forward and he'd have had her out cold.
  • Options
    Interesting video on the little chopper on board:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhsZUZmJvaM
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Interesting video on the little chopper on board:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhsZUZmJvaM
    “Interesting video on the little chopper on board.”
    Do you mean to say they’ve somehow smuggled Elfie on board at the last minute?
  • Options
    this is so cool - absolutely mindblowing what we can achieve