Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 'Musical Hall' programme of 1974

For reasons I would rather not discuss but let's just call it a Lockdown thing - I was looking at some CL postings of 2013 and came across the following from @Oggy Red discussing the introduction of floodlights at The Valley,

So I've gone up into the attic and rifled through some of my Dad's old programmes:

1) I came across a programme v Sunderland, dated Wednesday September 7th 1960, kick off 5.55pm.
Early evening kick off indicates no floodlights installed.

2) Eventually found the programme v Rotherham United, dated Wednesday September 20th 1961, kick off 7.30pm.
Reading the Club Notes on the inside cover:

"Tonight marks a further stage in the history of Charlton Athletic. This is the first League match to be played under floodlights at The Valley, and we are keeping our fingers crossed in the hope everything goes off smoothly.

This rang a bell and I seemed to remember a second 'unveiling' of the floodlights in 1974 following a period of inactivity as a result of the oil crisis of 1973 when electricity consumption was curtailed and the Government of the day issued petrol rationing coupons although I don't think they ever came into play. 

Anyway,  Charlton's home game under the lights against Halifax on October 2nd 1973 appears to be last before the lights were switched on again for the match v Bristol Rovers with a 7.30 kick-off  on January 1st 1974. 

But, as a sign of the times, the programme for this game is I think unique.
It calls itself a Souvenir Programme and the front cover is designed in the style of a late Victorian Music Hall pamphlet advertising the main act on offer.

For example, it states:

To mark a unique demonstration of the wonder of the age of ELECTRICITY the following match will be played by FLOODLIGHT.

It's printed on white paper with no photos and only rudimentary info. On the inside of the back page is the following statement:

We would like to apologise to supporters because a number of the regular programme features have been left out today. This is due to the power emergency and these notes were compiled before Christmas.

Comments

• I remember the Bristol R game, it finished 1-1.
  • that's a weird expression for 1974. It's not as if electricity was new, we had colour tv's by then. Sounds more like a Harry Enfieldesque 1950's thing - the wonder of the age of ELECTRICITY Mr Chumeley-Warner
  • When games were played on Sunday's (due to the power strikes) the only way you could gain admittance was by programme (as paying to attend an entertainment event was not permitted on the sabbath!). So they basically sold them on the turnstiles. I think those programmes didn't have a price on them, whereas normally they obviously did. 
  • My word. Our first son was born on Christmas Day. My wife and he were still in hospital and I remember taking another new 'dad' (not a Charlton fan) to this game. 
  • The, 'London Midweek League Champions' awards from the 1950's fills me with pride.
    So easy to forget these achievements.