Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THE WEEK THAT WAS: 28th February 2001 - England 3 Spain 0

England: (4-4-2): James (Martyn, h-t); P Neville (G Neville, 78min), Ferdinand (Ehiogu, h-t), Campbell, Powell (Ball, h-t); Beckham (Heskey, h-t), Butt (McCann, h-t), Scholes (Lampard, h-t), Barmby; Owen, Cole.

Spain (4-3-2-1): Casillas (Canizares, 64); Manuel Pablo, Unai, Abelardo (Javi Moreno, 55), Romero; Guardiola (Etxeberria, 80), Helguera, Luis Enrique (Sergi, 64); Mendieta (Victor, 64), Raul (Baraja, 81); Urzaiz (Paco, 58).

Goals: Barmby 38, Heskey 54, Ehiogu 70

20 years ago today!

Probably the only game I remember where I didn’t actually watch the game but purely just one player for 45 mins. 

Remember being nervous for him before the game and really hoped he’d give a good account for himself. 

What a great era that was following the club.

I was 24 for this game, watched it in the Moon & Sixpence in Welling (and got married a few months after this). 

Comments

• Chris should have played 3 years before this ; he was the best left back around until A Cole broke through . 
  • Did anyone go to it? 

Think it was at Villa Park
  • No, remember watching it on tv and being really disappointed that he didn’t escape the friendly half time team shuffle, but it was still great for 45-minutes...
  • Fumbluff said:
    No, remember watching it on tv and being really disappointed that he didn’t escape the friendly half time team shuffle, but it was still great for 45-minutes...
    I think he came of with injury rather than pulled...
  • My company had organised a conference in Nottingham that day, so I missed it all... 
  • Did anyone go to it? 

Yep , found out he was playing and myself and youngest sister(not been to a game with just her before or since ) went to the game making a late decision, think we arranged with a tout to get tickets can’t really remember.
    I drove up and we got there early to see the warm up , we were in the Holte End left hand side of course 3/4 of the way back.
    Very emotional seeing `SCP out there , I did notice they didn’t pass to him as much as I wanted them too in the warm up , he wasn’t in any of the cliques !
    I got all emotional with huge pride and welled up during the national anthems the shitty team I’d followed for nearly 25 years up and down and everywhere round the country were about to have their first full England International in my lifetime and we were in the top flight of English football , I was in heaven .
    All a bit of a hazy blur of man love for Sir Chris we left early to miss the rush (Sir Chris was off the pitch ) but the dream had happened Charlton had an England international.

I remember nearly getting in to a ruck (well it couldn’t be one cos I couldn’t fight my way out of a wet paper bag) when I was at some freebie bookie piss up in town watching an England game a while later before the 2002 World Cup when Ashley Cole fucked up and I was over the top slagging him off saying Chris Powell should be left back and some gooner  took exception to me . That’s how crazy and in love i was and am with Sir Chris I lost all sense of judgement !

still I’ll be wanking in the custard if we get a draw at 23rd place Wigan in the third tier tonight , custard stands still for no one 
  • I probably haven’t been to an England home game for 10 years before that match or ever since 
  • Did anyone go to it? 

Was up in Birmingham for a conference and a black tie awards ceremony on the evening of the game. One of the sponsors of the event (think it was Baxi Boilers) had a load of corporate tickets that they couldn't use because of the ceremony that evening and six of us managed to grab hold of them. None of us were up for an award that evening  o:)

Remember getting to Villa Park really early by mini bus (and missing one of the lectures I'd been sent to attend) with a Chelsea fan and two Liverpool fans from the Isle of Man. I may have had a tear in my eye when SCP stood there for the National Anthem.

Lost interest in the second half when Sven decided to unnecessarily 'rotate' the team. Can't remember much about the game after that, funnily enough, but can remember drinking red wine from a mug during the game so the stewards in the Trinity Road stand left us alone.

Didn't get to wear my new DJ purchased especially for the awards dinner for about another six months!
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember reading the paper the day after (can’t remember which one) and it talked about Chris Powell having many “carefree jaunts down the left hand side” - so proud! 
  • The tv show 100 greatest Britons definitely missed at least one person out.