Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ian St John RIP

2»

Comments

• Options

RIP

• Options
    Oh, that is really sad to hear.
    Always came across as a great fella with a sense of humour to match.
    One of my favourite football personalities of all time.

RIP.......Ian.....RIP
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    So, sometime pre-95 by my recollection I was invited out on an evening all expenses covered jolly over in deepest, darkest Essex for an evening of iistening to well known sports stars, one of whom was ISJ. There was about 5 of them lined up from various sports and, as is the way of such events, the stories were great and getting a lot of laughs. Unfortunately, ISJ was number 5 on the agenda. By this time the whole room was well-oiled, laughing and having a great time looking forward to each speaker in turn with great expectations of more to come. However, I suspect he too may have been enjoying the evening as much as we all were, if not more so, because when he got to the microphone, what came out wasn’t that version of his voice that we were all so familiar with from his Saint and Greavsie days. What we heard was something that sounded like a rather thick, well-oiled Scottish accent that nobody in the room, certainly at least near where I was sitting, could understand a word of.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP. Loved Saint and Greavsie when I was young. 

• Options
    RIP Ian
  • Options
    RIP. A very fine player and then fondly remembered from Saint & Greavsie.
  • Options
    RIP.
    Saint featured in the first "proper" football match I attended that didn't involve Charlton: the 1965 Liverpool v Leeds cup final.  He scored in extra time to give Liverpool their first FA Cup win. A top player.
  • Options
    RIP. The Saint and Greavsie part of my childhood. 
  • Options
    Sad news. RIP The Saint. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP.  A sweat i actually liked.
  • Options
    RIP

Another person who remembers him for the brilliant Saint and Greavsie and his other TV work, rather than his playing days
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Got a trip to watch the recording of Saint & Greavsie as a wedding present from a good mate who was working for ITV at the time. Great fun though must admit the passage of time has faded the detailed memory of it somewhat!! 

RIP ISJ.
  • Options
    RIP Saint.
  • Options
    Really sad at this news. As a player Ian St John was before my time but absolutely loved watching him alongside Greavsie as a young un. In fact the only time I’ve been on TV was on their show. Torquay were playing at Scarborough on a Friday night and for some reason me and a mate went and decided to go in the away end with about thirty diehard Torquay fans who travelled up. The game was settled by a penalty to the Gulls in front of us and the highlight(s) was shown on Saint and Greavsie the following afternoon. My mate and me were on screen for about twelve seconds.

RIP Ian.
  • Options
    Very sad. RIP 
  • Options
    Sad. Great player and broadcaster.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP....as others have said, Saint and Greavsie were hilarious.
  • Options
    RIP....as others have said, Saint and Greavsie were hilarious.
    Ditto.  I’m just old enough to remember it.  Remember Skinner & Baddiel used to do a good spoof of it on fantasy football.  They seemed like they had a great laugh filming it and you just can’t imagine something like it ever being done with today’s generation of footballers in years to come.

Footballing wise, way before my time, but I know he was a top player 

RIP