Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cloned Cars

I am sharing this, because incident happened in South East London.

As you will have gathered from my username, I live in Billericay in Essex.

In October the lady next door changed he car and bought a Dark Blue, 19 registration Mini.

She said that the garage that she bought the car from arranged all the DVLA paperwork. She had paid the road tax, but she now realises that she has never received any new V5 documents from the DVLA. 

On Saturday morning at 7.15am Essex Police knocked on her door. 

The police said that either Friday night or early Saturday morning her car, which had her registration on, but was now Black instead of Dark Blue had been involved in an incident in South East London.

The driver was apprehended and he had said that the owner of the car (my neighbour) had given him permission to drive her car. The Met police then asked their counterparts in Essex to check out whether this statement was true.

On arrival the police saw that the car in question was parked on her driveway. And quickly concluded that one of the cars was a clone of the other car.

Police informed her that the driver of the car apprehended lived in Charlton, South East London. They asked whether she knew anybody in, or has she ever had cause to visit Charlton. They also asked whether she had ever been to Charlton football club.

She said no, she hadn’t been to South East London for years, but the couple next door were supporters of Charlton football club. The police said that was just a coincidence.

I haven’t heard how the driver living in Charlton obtained my neighbour’s V5 registration document. I have heard stories of cars being cloned, but this is the first time it has happened to someone I know.

Comments

• Options

• Options
    It took her 5 months to realise she didn’t get the logbook??
  • Options
    Strange that they asked about the football club?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Chizz said:
    Strange that they asked about the football club?
    Not really.  When it was first seen it was red and was being driven by two people from SE7 who have a lot of questions to answer.  

Charlton on to a winner with 99 season ticket
    What happened to those Minis? Were they just wrapped for advertising purposes?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    At first glance I thought that was Dowie and his brother. Then I realised that it couldn't be Dowie's brother because he wasn't part of the coaching staff.
  • Options

In October the lady next door changed he car and bought a Dark Blue, 19 registration Mini.

She said that the garage that she bought the car from arranged all the DVLA paperwork. She had paid the road tax, but she now realises that she has never received any new V5 documents from the DVLA. 

The police said that either Friday night or early Saturday morning her car, which had her registration on, but was now Black instead of Dark Blue had been involved in an incident in South East London.

The driver was apprehended and he had said that the owner of the car (my neighbour) had given him permission to drive her car. The Met police then asked their counterparts in Essex to check out whether this statement was true.

On arrival the police saw that the car in question was parked on her driveway. And quickly concluded that one of the cars was a clone of the other car.

Police informed her that the driver of the car apprehended lived in Charlton, South East London. They asked whether she knew anybody in, or has she ever had cause to visit Charlton. They also asked whether she had ever been to Charlton football club.

She said no, she hadn’t been to South East London for years, but the couple next door were supporters of Charlton football club. The police said that was just a coincidence.

I haven’t heard how the driver living in Charlton obtained my neighbour’s V5 registration document. I have heard stories of cars being cloned, but this is the first time it has happened to someone I know.

A different situation but, strangely, although I live in Chelmsford, when my car was stolen off the drive some years ago, it was found by the plod in Charlton; even though it had false plates on.
    Also strangely, rather than telling me at the time, officers from SCO19 staked the car out. Then chased down the driver and arrested him. Sadly the car was written off in the process.
  • Options
    How strange.
    My neighbor purchased her car in Chelmsford.

Perhaps SE7 is the dumping ground for stolen vehicles from Essex.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

A different situation but, strangely, although I live in Chelmsford, when my car was stolen off the drive some years ago, it was found by the plod in Charlton; even though it had false plates on.
    Also strangely, rather than telling me at the time, officers from SCO19 staked the car out. Then chased down the driver and arrested him. Sadly the car was written off in the process.
    I would think that after the car was stolen it was left parked up for a while by the gang before being taken to its final destination - just in case the car had a less than obvious tracker on it. The false number plates would have presumably alerted SCO19 and they probably didn't tell you where it was because you might have insisted on taking it back before they could catch the criminals.  
  • Options
    Not had cloned but had ringed (changed number plate and cut off or ground out serial numbers on chassis). Years ago (mid 90's) I had an MG Maestro stolen. It was a bit ropey but nonetheless a car I liked. Around 10 months later, long after insurance had paid out, police knocked on my door asking about a car I used to own. They had done a stop on a car around 10 mike's away and althought the registration plates and VIN plate had been changed the engine number matched my stolen car. They asked me to accompany them to a car pound and sure enough there was my MG. It had different wheels, seats, stereo, big aerial, quite a few pimoed things, but I recognise it within seconds (all car anoraks would). As it happens the thief was living and using the car around a mile from my home address and I never saw it. I still own an MG Maestro before anyone remarks about their build quality. (I know how bad they are) but it remains a fun drive. 🤫
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Saga Lout said:
    Long story short: my wedding 300 guests, one receives a fine for using Dartford Crossing. He hadn't - plates cloned - eventually got fine rescinded. I did a longer version and thought "this is really boring" and I'm not sure about the short version either.
    Did the longer version start

Once upon a time...........?

Mmmmm better keep to the short version ;)
  • Options
    My car was cloned. 
    Hardly recognised it when they found it.
    N-Car Garage Mira  Shakotan Today
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    Long story short: my wedding 300 guests, one receives a fine for using Dartford Crossing. He hadn't - plates cloned - eventually got fine rescinded. I did a longer version and thought "this is really boring" and I'm not sure about the short version either.
    Did the longer version start

Once upon a time...........?

Mmmmm better keep to the short version ;)
    Yeah, pretty much. :)