Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Heroes of Biggin Hill

Sky History Channel Sunday 7th March.......10.00 pm

A look at The Battle of Britain through the eyes of the brave souls who were based at the heavily bombarded Biggin Hill airbase and lived to tell their remarkable stories.

Comments

• I don't 'do' heroes, but here's one: Hugh Dowding.
    A non-conformist. A friend to animals. A brave and decent man.
    He also believed in fairies, apparently.
  • Sky History Channel Sunday 7th March.......10.00 pm

A look at The Battle of Britain through the eyes of the brave souls who were based at the heavily bombarded Biggin Hill airbase and lived to tell their remarkable stories.
    Thanks for that, will tune in.

Still got on my bucket list the spitfire flight down to the white cliffs, maybe this year.
  • Off_it said:
    I don't 'do' heroes, but here's one: Hugh Dowding.
    And your problem with that is what, exactly?  I can forgive a lot of 'faults' in someone like Dowding who, along with Mitchell (Spitfire designer), Camm (Hurricane designer), Watson-Watt (practical radar designer), William and Hazel Hill (calculators of the guns the Spitfire and Hurricane needed) probably had more to do with winning The Battle of Britain, than any other single person.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Still got on my bucket list the spitfire flight down to the white cliffs, maybe this year.
    I think I'm going to book that soon.  I need to convince Ms AA it's a good use of money that's just sitting in the building society losing value.  Wish me luck.
    Good luck with that one, sound a great idea if that carries any weight
  • Off_it said:
    Everyone should.
    Here in Ireland, if you don’t keep the fairies happy, woe betide you 🤔
    Great philosophy, do they still live at the bottom of the garden ;)
  • Off_it said:
    Everyone should.
    Don’t be silly, they live in the great Hawthorn bushes and enjoy the craic in our fairy circle we built them as soon as we moved in 😘😘😎😎
  • Off_it said:
    And your problem with that is what, exactly?  I can forgive a lot of 'faults' in someone like Dowding who, along with Mitchell (Spitfire designer), Camm (Hurricane designer), Watson-Watt (practical radar designer), William and Hazel Hill (calculators of the guns the Spitfire and Hurricane needed) probably had more to do with winning The Battle of Britain, than any other single person.
    I didnt say I had a problem with it, just pointing out the fact that he apparently genuinely believed in fairies.

Ive read up on him and would completely agree that he played a hugely significant role in the Battle of Britain, but that just sounds a bit nuts to me. But each to their own.

• Rob7Lee said:

I was very lucky to do that April 2019, not over Dover but Port Solent & the IoW. Had a smile on my face for about 3 weeks, brilliant experience, the noise, smell and exhilaration. 
  • Sponsored links:

•  
    Off_it said:
    Everyone should.
    Don’t be silly, they live in the great Hawthorn bushes and enjoy the craic in our fairy circle we built them as soon as we moved in 😘😘😎😎
    Sorry, silly me, bit out of date regarding fairies in general, and bow to your greater knowledge
     B)  B):)
  • Rob7Lee said:

I think I'm going to book that soon.  I need to convince Ms AA it's a good use of money that's just sitting in the building society losing value.  Wish me luck.
    When open send her to a pamper day and just go then :-)

It's not cheap, £5k.

https://www.intotheblue.co.uk/experiences/white-cliffs-spitfire-experiences/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7YyCBhD_ARIsALkj54ol2I2hXtTpR6ue9mkuT-yoGrugx6sc1IPBak0xPQaspfZNxd6KhIwaAmWAEALw_wcB

Beachy Head about £1k less.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

When open send her to a pamper day and just go then :-)

It's not cheap, £5k.

https://www.intotheblue.co.uk/experiences/white-cliffs-spitfire-experiences/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7YyCBhD_ARIsALkj54ol2I2hXtTpR6ue9mkuT-yoGrugx6sc1IPBak0xPQaspfZNxd6KhIwaAmWAEALw_wcB

Beachy Head about £1k less.
    Bump.
  •  
    Off_it said:
    Everyone should.
    Sorry, silly me, bit out of date regarding fairies in general, and bow to your greater knowledge
    They're not, necessarily cute and friendly, at least in the Irish tradition.  They were/are believed to wreak terrible revenge when wronged.
  •  
    Off_it said:
    Everyone should.
    They're not, necessarily cute and friendly, at least in the Irish tradition.  They were/are believed to wreak terrible revenge when wronged.
    Woe betide anyone passing over Fairy Bridge on the Isle of Man who doesn't say good day to those living there.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_Bridge_(Isle_of_Man)
  • worth every penny in my humble opinion, best  is my wife & kids paid for it 😜😜
  •  
    Off_it said:
    Everyone should.
    A fella built a house up the road here.
    He was warned that where he wanted to position it was where there was a hawthorn bush and he really shouldn’t.
    But he wanted a specific view of the ocean & went ahead.
    The house stands unfinished, lots of reason it apparently didn’t get completed but no one will touch it 😳🤔
  • edited March 2021

My dad was there (a flight sergeant) during the battle of Britain. Got strafed and apparently pulled his dead colleagues body into a trench under fire. I was told by a friend of his. He wouldn't talk about it.

My dad was there (a flight sergeant) during the battle of Britain. Got strafed and apparently pulled his dead colleagues body into a trench under fire. I was told by a friend of his. He wouldn't talk about it.

Will you be watching this evening?

Will you be watching this evening?
    Haven't got Sky sadly but I'll find a way to watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking forward to watching this. Anyone interested in the BOB, there’s a great little museum in Shoreham, no planes but plenty of artefacts. If you’re lucky enough (as I was last time I was there), one of the spits from Biggin Hill fly past. 
  • Looking forward to watching this. Anyone interested in the BOB, there’s a great little museum in Shoreham, no planes but plenty of artefacts. If you’re lucky enough (as I was last time I was there), one of the spits from Biggin Hill fly past. 
    Yes......I have been there, some very interesting stuff on display.
  • Just watched this and 100% Respect.
  • It was a very good programme, oh what times they were, oh what people they were.