Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wwe. Sportsman, actors or neither.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    cafctom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Steroid fuelled soap operas. No denying they have to be quite fit and strong to do it.
    Think you’ll find that steroids are absolutely a thing of the past at the top level of the business, and has been for about 14 years (ever since the tragic Chris Benoit incident)
    They may not be using once they reach the top, but they certainly seem to use them to get their initial size and leanness 
    Most wrestlers these days don’t have that massive, bulky look about them that was more prevalent in years gone by.

They all tend to look lean, but there is a greater emphasis on cardio nowadays. Most have that cruiser weight type build. 350 lb muscle heads are not too common.
  • Options
    I'm due a binge to rewatch all the Attitude era PPVs. 

I do the same for ECW every few years, they pushed the envelope more and had better mid cards IMO, but WWE had the better stories and big names. For a few years all of it was excellent & reliable entertainment.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Modern wrestling, probably the last 5 to 10 years, is much more like choreographed gymnastics.

Wrestling up until the mid 80s was much more like the simulation of a real fight.

I don't watch any of the current product but I still watch stuff mainly from the 80s and 90s and listen to pod casts about it.

To answer the question the fact that there is real prospect of wrestlers joining the screen actors guild is a give away.  I can't imagine busier brody doing that! 
    I don’t think that’s quite accurate. The standard of wrestling has gone up massively in the past few years. The quality of the product itself isn’t brilliant but the wrestlers are going longer in matches and delivering a lot more in terms of hits than they used to. Just the other day one of the women got her front teeth kicked out because the former MMA fighter kicking her went for it a bit too hard. There’s a lot more wrestlers willing to give each other a proper kicking to make it look good than back in the day. There’s plenty of Bruiser Brody types knocking about happily kicking people in the face and getting dropped on their necks every week
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I do the same for ECW every few years, they pushed the envelope more and had better mid cards IMO, but WWE had the better stories and big names. For a few years all of it was excellent & reliable entertainment.
    The ECW one night stand events when the WWE took over the rights but allowed them to be "Extreme" for one night was a great watch, 2006 in particular
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    RedPanda said:

The ECW one night stand events when the WWE took over the rights but allowed them to be "Extreme" for one night was a great watch, 2006 in particular
    Obviously not a patch on the original stuff but it harkened back to the good ol' days

Ee See Dub!!
    Ee See Dub!!
    Ee See Dub!!
  • Options
    Really athletic actors. It’s not sport is it, it’s scripted.
    This
  • Options
    It’s really not my thing, but I don’t see anything wrong with it as a spectacle. 
    Not a sport in my eyes, but certainly an impressive demonstration of athletic ability.
    I’d say it’s akin to circus performers - (no, not clowns! More like cirque de soleil) - where the audience is amazed and impressed by the incredible ability of the performers. You’d never call that a sport.
  • Options
    Remember the big daddy vs giant haystacks match remember seeing it as a kid think it was about 1980ish and always had this memory of it but rewatched it a couple of years ago good was it poor!!
    Do watch a bit of indie wrestling locally 
    Progress,rev pro,southside
    A mate asked if I wanted to go to a rev Pro show this year. What's it like? 
  • Options
    Fixed Martial Arts
  • Options
    Nice to see so many fans here, and so many who aren't who still appreciate the 'sport'

Progress Wrestling in the UK is a fun promotion, been to a few live shows and always enjoy it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nothing will ever eclipse The Rock vs Stone Cold at Wrestlemania 17
    Until the finish..... 
  • Options
    Actors doing their own, sometimes very dangerous, stunts
  • Options
    Nice to see so many fans here, and so many who aren't who still appreciate the 'sport'

Progress Wrestling in the UK is a fun promotion, been to a few live shows and always enjoy it. 
    Used to go Progress all the time when I lived in London. Try to watch the highlight/recaps of Raw and Smackdown each week on BT Sports.

Looking forward to mania coming up in 6 weeks or so. Should be 25k fans in attendance and looks a good main event with Edge v Reigns. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Modern wrestling, probably the last 5 to 10 years, is much more like choreographed gymnastics.

Wrestling up until the mid 80s was much more like the simulation of a real fight.

I don't watch any of the current product but I still watch stuff mainly from the 80s and 90s and listen to pod casts about it.

To answer the question the fact that there is real prospect of wrestlers joining the screen actors guild is a give away.  I can't imagine busier brody doing that! 
    I don’t think that’s quite accurate. The standard of wrestling has gone up massively in the past few years. The quality of the product itself isn’t brilliant but the wrestlers are going longer in matches and delivering a lot more in terms of hits than they used to. Just the other day one of the women got her front teeth kicked out because the former MMA fighter kicking her went for it a bit too hard. There’s a lot more wrestlers willing to give each other a proper kicking to make it look good than back in the day. There’s plenty of Bruiser Brody types knocking about happily kicking people in the face and getting dropped on their necks every week
    The "quality" is obviously personal taste but now it's so far away from the stimulation of a proper fight. 

Every match seems to have a dive to the outside, once everyone else happens to just be standing in the right place to catch them.

Every match has about 5 false finishes and goes on for about 20 minutes.  Every move has been devauled to the extent there are no finishers, of note.  A DDT, running power slam, delayed vertical, top rope moves, knocking someone's head off with a chair is a 2 count.

Every TV match is trying to be the main event of starcade or wrestlemania.  No one is over, no one has heat, the booking is all over the place.  Everyone is small.  The special effects are well over the top. 

If you like the modern product fair play. 

But I'll stick to Flair v Steamboat, Brett Heart, the road warriors, the midnight and rock and roll.  Even DX and the NWO.  I would rather watch "the best of Al Snow" (that's a joke for the kids) than the current product. For the above reasons.

PS I didn't even mention Orange Cassidy or Joey Ryan!! 
  • Options
    The ‘Attitude era’ was great at the time, and loved it as a 12-14 year old. When you watch it back now, it’s quite jaw dropping how politically incorrect a lot of the content was. The modern day WWE product is very bland in comparison.

I’m not suggesting it needs to be offensive to be interesting, but at least have some edge. 

NXT in the years 2015 to 2019 was absolutely superb and I’d argue the most exciting period since the early 2000s. 
  • Options

The whole is it fake thing is like adults wondering if there really is an easter bunny. Surely anyone over the age of six can tell real fights don't look like that, especially with MMA being a thing?

Anyway, whatever you want to call it, they perform infront of a live crowd who surround them at all angles and perform all of their own stunts. Quite a few do it 300 days a year.

Steroids have hardly been an issue for nearly 30 years and it's mainly painkillers that resulted in so many deaths in the early 2000s. They're landing in a boxing ring which has minimal padding and mostly being self employed they work whilst injured.
  • Options
    I'm so glad to see so much appreciation for wrestling here.

I'm truly in my element 😀
  • Options
    Without doubt the best wrestlemania and a great main event 
    Er - excuse me, Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior made the world stop back when I was a nipper. The shockwaves through primary school kids when the Ultimate Warrior won will live long in the memory. It was at the moment that WWF wrestling in the playground was banned I think. Either that or when someone attempted a million dollar dream on someone and they fainted 
  • Options
    Er - excuse me, Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior made the world stop back when I was a nipper. The shockwaves through primary school kids when the Ultimate Warrior won will live long in the memory. It was at the moment that WWF wrestling in the playground was banned I think. Either that or when someone attempted a million dollar dream on someone and they fainted 
    Without a doubt wrestlemania 6 had the most iconic main event, but as a whole event, wrestlemania 17 was the best 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The 1992 rumble for me, I had no idea who Flair was or why he thought he was the real world champion I couldn't believe he won. I mean he had to cheat to beat Tito Santana at the Royal Albert Hall a few months before.  I still watch it a couple of times a year, mainly for Gorilla and Bobby on the call. 

Never really forgiven my parents for not letting me go to that years summerslam! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who collected those Hasbro figures? Got a ton of them in my mum's loft. If anyone's sitting on a Kamala figure with moon belly you'd be on a small fortune. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Remember the big daddy vs giant haystacks match remember seeing it as a kid think it was about 1980ish and always had this memory of it but rewatched it a couple of years ago good was it poor!!
    Do watch a bit of indie wrestling locally 
    Progress,rev pro,southside
    A mate asked if I wanted to go to a rev Pro show this year. What's it like? 
    Ones at York Hall are awesome 👍rev pro are good shows with some great bookings
    Well worth going
  • Options

Progress fun🤣🤣jimmy havoc smashing light tubes over each other fun??or being thrown over the top balcony 
  • Options
    Used to love WWF, Randy Savage is my all time fave, sad he’s been dead 10 years now. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

The "quality" is obviously personal taste but now it's so far away from the stimulation of a proper fight. 

Every match seems to have a dive to the outside, once everyone else happens to just be standing in the right place to catch them.

Every match has about 5 false finishes and goes on for about 20 minutes.  Every move has been devauled to the extent there are no finishers, of note.  A DDT, running power slam, delayed vertical, top rope moves, knocking someone's head off with a chair is a 2 count.

Every TV match is trying to be the main event of starcade or wrestlemania.  No one is over, no one has heat, the booking is all over the place.  Everyone is small.  The special effects are well over the top. 

If you like the modern product fair play. 

But I'll stick to Flair v Steamboat, Brett Heart, the road warriors, the midnight and rock and roll.  Even DX and the NWO.  I would rather watch "the best of Al Snow" (that's a joke for the kids) than the current product. For the above reasons.

PS I didn't even mention Orange Cassidy or Joey Ryan!! 
    You seem to know a fair bit about what happens in every match for someone who doesn’t watch any of it? 

• Options
    Anyone ever met any of the WWE/WWF/World of Sports wrestlers before. 

I met Braun Strowman (Current WWE guy). I was with my mate who about 6ft 3 and a big lad. Braun made him look absolutely tiny. Don’t see many 6ft 10 people but what a scary looking bloke in the flesh.
  • Options
    I know nothing about this sport, since I haven't watched wrestling since it was on main stream TV, with the commentator Kent Walton and a host of British wrestlers who were household names.  
    But I do have an amusing story from that era.
    A group of the wrestlers used to travel around the country on the same coach.  One of them, Jackie Pallo, was not the sharpest tool in the box but claimed to be a good runner. Another wrestler Mick McManus, bet Jackie that he couldn't run 60 seconds in a minute.  Jackie accepted the bet, ordered the coach driver to stop and ran off down the road screaming "time me, time me".  The other wrestlers just creased up.  Jackie got back on the coach some way down the road and was told he'd just missed out.  He still didn't get it and insisted upon having another attempt.
  • Options

Progress fun🤣🤣jimmy havoc smashing light tubes over each other fun??or being thrown over the top balcony 
    I didn't say it was fun for the wrestlers 😂