Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wrestling thread

Comments

• Options
    The Death of WCW book is excellent if you want an in depth look at the fall of the company with no WWE spin. 
    Is that the RD Reynolds one? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Paige maybe??

She's left WWE 
    Can she wrestle now?  
    I'd wrestle with her 😀

I think she's been cleared.  Not sure 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Paige maybe??

She's left WWE 
    Can she wrestle now?  
    I'd wrestle with her 😀

I think she's been cleared.  Not sure 
    She's a good lass 😂

That film of her journey was really funny.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The Death of WCW book is excellent if you want an in depth look at the fall of the company with no WWE spin. 
    Sorry but that book is utter cack and makes fun of WCW's booking following the WWE spin and offers no real insight. Bischoff made R D Reynolds look like a goof at Star cast, it was embarrassing how little he knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpYw47MLPJ8

This is the best book ever written about WCW.
  • Options
    Sorry but that book is utter cack and makes fun of WCW's booking following the WWE spin and offers no real insight. Bischoff made R D Reynolds look like a goof at Star cast, it was embarrassing how little he knew.

I was going add it to my wish list until

"...may be the best overall pro wrestling book to date."
    --David Bixenspan, Deadspin"

Look at his twitter if your not blocked :smile:

R D Reynolds was very good until he started taking himself too seriously. 
  • Options

Thank you I've been looking for this! There is another WCW book that I've heard is better, I can't remember the name of it though... 
  • Options

Thank you I've been looking for this! There is another WCW book that I've heard is better, I can't remember the name of it though... 

Edit: Just seen the link that you sent! 

• Options
    I thought the signing was meant to be The Big Show. 
  • Options
    tajaddick said:
    He announced it
  • Options
    tajaddick said:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it's Christian, as it's weird that after he appears at the Rumble, is jacked and cleared to compete, and his best buddy Edge is in the main event of Mania, and he hasn't been seen on WWE at all. He's also a future HOF'er and as his run in Impact/TNA shows, a damn fine wrestler. 

There's actually 2 signings tonight, the hall of fame worthy one and the mystery 6th man in the ladder match
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I think it's Christian, as it's weird that after he appears at the Rumble, is jacked and cleared to compete, and his best buddy Edge is in the main event of Mania, and he hasn't been seen on WWE at all. He's also a future HOF'er and as his run in Impact/TNA shows, a damn fine wrestler. 

There's actually 2 signings tonight, the hall of fame worthy one and the mystery 6th man in the ladder match
    Very underrated, especially by WWE. Would love it to be him. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I think it's Angle, but Christian is a good shout
  • Options
    I'd love the ladder match guy to be RVD personally, one of my favourite wrestlers growing up
  • Options
    Christian's rumoured WWE contract never materialised, so it could be him.

If it was someone like Leasner, Cena or Punk (all rumoured on twitter) they wouldn't have it done like this would they?

It could be Christian, Mark Henry or Angle?

Could the mistry ladder match man be Nick Aldis? 
  • Options
    I just can't see how it could be Punk.  The crowd pop would be huge.  There's no point doing it without a crowd
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    McBobbin said:
    Love dark side of the ring! Also recommend if you can find it (think it's on wwe network) The Rise and Fall of ECW. Proper nostalgia and lots of events I'd forgotten
    The rise and fall of WCW is good as well.  I have got it on DVD (I like having physical stuff) plus you get the matches. 
    Is that The Monday night war? That was really good 
    Yeah part of it, its also got the Jim Heard eara after TBS bought JCP. 

As well as Black Saturday I won't tell the story for people that don't know but its from 1984!

Must have been a crazy day for followers of JCP!

Balls I can't get the spoiler tag to work ha ha 

TEST

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Right I've figured it out

From the 'format' menu select 'spoiler' & enter your text into the box

Like this

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I'll be disappointed if it is Angle or Christian personally. I don't want AEW to turn into what TNA became.

AEW's great and a game changer in the industry, but they do seem to be going down the route of signing a lot of older/semi-retired names. Are young wrestling fans really going to care that much about Tully Blanchard, Big Show, Christian, Arn Anderson, Sting etc? I'm not sure. 

However, my favourite wrestling moment in the past few years was Jon Moxley's shock debut at the first Double or Nothing show. That really was a statement. 

They have some incredible young talent on the books. MJF and Darby Allin are exceptional for their age. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just can't see how it could be Punk.  The crowd pop would be huge.  There's no point doing it without a crowd
    No point doing it cold either. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I'll be disappointed if it is Angle or Christian personally. I don't want AEW to turn into what TNA became.

AEW's great and a game changer in the industry, but they do seem to be going down the route of signing a lot of older/semi-retired names. Are young wrestling fans really going to care that much about Tully Blanchard, Big Show, Christian, Arn Anderson, Sting etc? I'm not sure. 

However, my favourite wrestling moment in the past few years was Jon Moxley's shock debut at the first Double or Nothing show. That really was a statement. 

They have some incredible young talent on the books. MJF and Darby Allin are exceptional for their age. 
    The thing is, if you just consider the American Market, there are more people that used to watch wrestling than currently do. 

If you like the style of wrestling of the young bucks and omega your probably already watching it.  Tully hasn't been on mainstream TV for over 30 years but the others were big names during the last boom.  You have to have some way of hooking lapsed fans.

The problem is the are no "stars" that can still go.  Probably Punk is probably the exception?  I don't think they could get Leasner and Cena would have to be a heel.

If they signed Osprey, Okada, Fish and the Brisco brothers the program would be better but no one extra would watch it would they? 

The best thing they could do (it would never happen BTW) is FTR turned on Tully, then teased a new manager for weeks and finally came out with Cornett. Let him cut promos on everyone and FTR squash lots of teams.  Christ book them like the Road Warriors.  Then after a year or so have them turn on him and you have 2 massive baby faces. 
  • Options
    AEW President & General Manager Tony Khan appeared on Busted Open Radio earlier today to discuss the “Hall of Fame worthy” talent acquisition that he and Paul Wight have been promising for Sunday’s AEW Revolution pay-per-view.

Khan talked to host David LaGreca and his co-host, WWE Hall of Famer Mark Henry, and said the new AEW signing is one of his all-time favorite wrestlers. Khan was asked if this signing really will be a huge topic of discussion on Monday morning.

“Yes,” Khan answered. “One of my all-time favorite wrestlers I’m very excited about.”

Khan added, “I am fired up.”

Henry and LaGreca expressed their excitement over the big reveal at Revolution.

“I’ll say one thing, it’s one of my all-time favorite wrestlers,” Khan continued. “I tipped this on AEW Unrestricted [podcast], I said the gender is a male. He’s coming, he’s going to do great things for us, he’s committed, he’s going to sign a contract on Sunday at Revolution on pay-per-view.

“We’re going to have all these great matches, and also we’ll have this big news coming out of the show. Mark, I know you’ll be very excited. I think it’s going to be really cool.”

• Options
    edited March 2021
    AEW President & General Manager Tony Khan appeared on Busted Open Radio earlier today to discuss the “Hall of Fame worthy” talent acquisition that he and Paul Wight have been promising for Sunday’s AEW Revolution pay-per-view.

Khan talked to host David LaGreca and his co-host, WWE Hall of Famer Mark Henry, and said the new AEW signing is one of his all-time favorite wrestlers. Khan was asked if this signing really will be a huge topic of discussion on Monday morning.

“Yes,” Khan answered. “One of my all-time favorite wrestlers I’m very excited about.”

“I’ll say one thing, it’s one of my all-time favorite wrestlers,” Khan continued. “I tipped this on AEW Unrestricted [podcast], I said the gender is a male. He’s coming, he’s going to do great things for us, he’s committed, he’s going to sign a contract on Sunday at Revolution on pay-per-view.

“We’re going to have all these great matches, and also we’ll have this big news coming out of the show. Mark, I know you’ll be very excited. I think it’s going to be really cool.”
    I watched some of that earlier and my reaction was "its Henry isn't it". 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I watched some of that earlier and my reaction was "its Henry isn't it". 
    That would be really shit 
  • Options
    Great threads these. Started properly watching the wrestling when we got sky in late 1993, and my first ppv was royal rumble 94 when lex luger and Brett Hart both won, which set up wrestlemania X, and all time classic with the Hart brothers and the first ladder match with Shawn Michaels and razor Ramon. The mid 90s were also a bit daft with lots of ridiculous gimmicks. Things changed when stone cold beat.jale the snake at king of the ring and delivered the infamous Austin 3:16 speech. Missed out on a lot of the attitude era when I went to university, but started getting back until it moved to bt sport's! Love going back to classic matches and documentaries though. I've heard that bob Holly's book is one of the best, if anyone can confirm or deny
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:

The thing is, if you just consider the American Market, there are more people that used to watch wrestling than currently do. 

If you like the style of wrestling of the young bucks and omega your probably already watching it.  Tully hasn't been on mainstream TV for over 30 years but the others were big names during the last boom.  You have to have some way of hooking lapsed fans.

The problem is the are no "stars" that can still go.  Probably Punk is probably the exception?  I don't think they could get Leasner and Cena would have to be a heel.

If they signed Osprey, Okada, Fish and the Brisco brothers the program would be better but no one extra would watch it would they? 

The best thing they could do (it would never happen BTW) is FTR turned on Tully, then teased a new manager for weeks and finally came out with Cornett. Let him cut promos on everyone and FTR squash lots of teams.  Christ book them like the Road Warriors.  Then after a year or so have them turn on him and you have 2 massive baby faces. 
    You're absolutely right.

I guess my issue is more that they are going to hype up a big name to hook people into paying money for a PPV, when we all know it isn't likely to be a move that is going to change things that much.

If it were a Lesnar, Cena level star then I'd happily eat humble pie - but we know that it likely isn't going to be anyone in that category. 

A couple of months ago Tony Khan teased a crazy end to a Dynamite episode that would change the industry, and it ended up being the return of Pac.....

AEW and Tony Khan have done a lot more right than wrong though, so I don't want to be too critical. I have to admit that I'm a mark for the mere suggestion of something as crazy as a exploding, barbed wire deathmatch on PPV. 

Its just so refreshing to have a major promotion willing to have some edge!
  • Options
    Recommend watching Young Rock.

Really enjoyable show.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Recommend watching Young Rock.

Really enjoyable show.
    Where can you see it?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

AEW Revolution link above, comment below about the show, a spoiler spoiler if you willllll

The pyro for the explosion! 🤣