Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is it a miss /chance missed/save ??

I’m clueless , I suppose it’s up to the individuals own views 

he missed his chance to win the game
but it was saved
but he didn’t miss the target
but he did cos his target was the goal not the keeper in front of the goal
but it was a shot on target .

if someone has a one on one with loads of time and he shoots it at the keeper I’d prolly say I can’t believe he’s missed that 
same as if it’s squared to him and with an open goal he shoots and misses the target or he misses the ball
or say the keeper is wide of the goal and he shoots so badly off target (it was missing the goal) but it hits the keeper and deflects in , has he missed the chance but scored 🤷‍♂️

over to the pedants to sort out 

for the purpose of good order,  I’m happy to go with Addick Addict and Chizz’s explanation !!! 

Comments

• So I remember walking out of Wembley as a 12 year old after the 1998 play off final and a very wise lady in-front of me said to her companion “it’s nice that the final penalty was saved rather than him missing it” and that’s always stuck with me. 
  • edited March 2021
    I am from the old school of Pearce missed his penalty in 90 as did Waddle. 

Southgate missed as did Batty. It is irrelevant whether the keeper saved it, it hit the woodwork* or was skyed past the international space  station.

The first 3 even did a poxy pizza hut advert using the word "miss" as a pun to mock southgate's miss in 96.

https://youtu.be/GWqmqGsTTBI

The world was a very different place back then and should have probably stopped there.

*To pre empt any impending  pedantry I am wholly aware  that posts and cross bars are no longer made from wood in the profesional  game.
  • Whether a save or a missed target, the end result is the same.

'Failed to score'.
  • It was a good save. The ball was on target, hit with power and not straight down the middle where a hesitant keeper would be standing. If it was a penalty shoot out and all 5 players did the same you’d win
  • edited March 2021
    se9addick said:
    It was a good save. The ball was on target, hit with power and not straight down the middle where a hesitant keeper would be standing. If it was a penalty shoot out and all 5 players did the same you’d win
    Not sure I follow that logic!

Beat me to it - surely in that scenario the penalty shoot out would continue indefinitely.
  • It’s a miss. 

If you Panenka it down the middle and goalie just stands there and catches it, you wouldn’t say ‘well it was on target’ so great save 

you take a penalty you either score the penalty or miss the penalty regardless of whether the goalie actually influences the result of the penalty. 
  • Whether it was hit with power or not is irrelevant in my opinion. It was hit at the right height for a keeper, which makes it a poor penalty. 
  • He missed his opportunity to win the game by having his penalty saved.
  • On Quest they thought it was a great save
  • Sponsored links:

• Penalty off target = miss
    Penalty on target = saved

The keeper saved Ronnie's penalty. 
  • Pedro45 said:
    Bailey missed, Schwartz's was saved.
    And they both count for exactly the same. No goal.

In my mind, if you don’t score, you’ve missed. You have the advantage and have failed to capitalise.
  • Have to say I always see a penalty as a miss because it’s such a glorious chance. If the goalkeeper was standing next to a post and the rest of the goal was open, with the striker hitting it straight at the keeper from 6 yards, I’d feel the same. Like all “misses”, some are much worse than others and I’ll always have more sympathy to a half decent penalty being saved than putting it 20 yards over. I was gutted when Schwartz didn’t give us the two points yesterday and I’m in the missed rather than save camp, I find the overreaction a bit ridiculous. It’s happened to the very best, even Le Tiss missed one once. 
  • I am from the old school of Pearce missed his penalty in 90 as did Waddle. 

Southgate missed as did Batty. It is irrelevant whether the keeper saved it, it hit the woodwork* or was skyed past the international space  station.

The first 3 even did a poxy pizza hut advert using the word "miss" as a pun to mock southgate's miss in 96.

https://youtu.be/GWqmqGsTTBI

The world was a very different place back then and should have probably stopped there.

*To pre empt any impending  pedantry I am wholly aware  that posts and cross bars are no longer made from wood in the profesional  game.
    The pedantry should surely be that the woodwork or metal work is actually not on target but the surrounding area marking the target inside.
  • Of course it was a missed penalty but it wasn’t a bad one and it was a really good save. If the keeper had dived the other way or just failed to keep it out, no one would have said it was a bad pen and that’s the point to me - the quality of a penalty should be determined by how well it’s struck (power, accuracy etc). It shouldn’t be determined by how a keeper reacts to it.
  • edited March 2021
    JaShea99 said:
    Of course it was a missed penalty but it wasn’t a bad one and it was a really good save. If the keeper had dived the other way or just failed to keep it out, no one would have said it was a bad pen and that’s the point to me - the quality of a penalty should be determined by how well it’s struck (power, accuracy etc). It shouldn’t be determined by how a keeper reacts to it.
    My problem with that though is if it is struck well by your metrics he would have scored. No matter how good the keeper is, the advantage is with the penalty taker
  • JaShea99 said:
    Of course it was a missed penalty but it wasn’t a bad one and it was a really good save. If the keeper had dived the other way or just failed to keep it out, no one would have said it was a bad pen and that’s the point to me - the quality of a penalty should be determined by how well it’s struck (power, accuracy etc). It shouldn’t be determined by how a keeper reacts to it.
    My problem with that though is if it is struck well by your metrics he would have scored. No matter how good the keeper is, the advantage is with the penalty taker
    I take your point - the striker is expected to score and the keeper isn’t expected to save it, but also by your logic every saved penalty therefore must have been poorly struck and every penalty converted must have been well struck. I don’t think it’s necessarily one or the other. I know it wasn’t a penalty and so the advantage situation wasn’t the same, but when Gordon Banks made arguably the greatest save of all time against Pele, did it automatically make Pele’s header a poor one? Or was it just a great header but an even better save?
  • JaShea99 said:
    Of course, the clue is in the word penalty ..... to penalise.

• A penalty miss ..... what do you call the player who misses it?

That's my contribution today to schoolboy humour. :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• It was a good save. The ball was on target, hit with power and not straight down the middle where a hesitant keeper would be standing. If it was a penalty shoot out and all 5 players did the same you’d win
    Saying that the penalty was on target is a failure of 2-dimensional thinking. Football is a three dimensional game, nothing is gained through placing the ball correctly in just two dimensions you have to place it correctly in all three. If you think that the target is anywhere on or in-front of the goal line then you are aiming in the wrong place. He couldn't find a spot where the ball could travel to its goal. Consequently, he missed. 
  • edited March 2021
    Stig said:
    It was a good save. The ball was on target, hit with power and not straight down the middle where a hesitant keeper would be standing. If it was a penalty shoot out and all 5 players did the same you’d win
    Saying that the penalty was on target is a failure of 2-dimensional thinking. Football is a three dimensional game, nothing is gained through placing the ball correctly in just two dimensions you have to place it correctly in all three. If you think that the target is anywhere on or in-front of the goal line then you are aiming in the wrong place. He couldn't find a spot where the ball could travel to its goal. Consequently, he missed. 
    But then by that rationale, no shot is ever on target unless it's a goal. That's not how football lingo or stats works though is it? If it did then you would only have stats for attempts off target, and goals scored. But we have stats for attempts on target as well. Everyone knows and accepts that "on target" just means it was between the sticks and would have been a goal if it had not been stopped by the goalie/player. 
  • So a shot is now only on target if it goes in the net?
  • I’m clueless , I suppose it’s up to the individuals own views 

he missed his chance to win the game
    but it was saved
    but he didn’t miss the target
    but he did cos his target was the goal not the keeper in front of the goal
    but it was a shot on target .

if someone has a one on one with loads of time and he shoots it at the keeper I’d prolly say I can’t believe he’s missed that 
    same as if it’s squared to him and with an open goal he shoots and misses the target or he misses the ball
    or say the keeper is wide of the goal and he shoots so badly off target (it was missing the goal) but it hits the keeper and deflects in , has he missed the chance but scored 🤷‍♂️

over to the pedants to sort out 

for the purpose of good order,  I’m happy to go with Addick Addict and Chizz’s explanation !!! 
    Who cares, the ball did not go in the net.
  • Have to say I always see a penalty as a miss because it’s such a glorious chance. If the goalkeeper was standing next to a post and the rest of the goal was open, with the striker hitting it straight at the keeper from 6 yards, I’d feel the same. Like all “misses”, some are much worse than others and I’ll always have more sympathy to a half decent penalty being saved than putting it 20 yards over. I was gutted when Schwartz didn’t give us the two points yesterday and I’m in the missed rather than save camp, I find the overreaction a bit ridiculous. It’s happened to the very best, even Le Tiss missed one once. 
    Hales and Mendonca were excellent penalty takers and I can remember both missing.  Who would say "and I can remember both having one saved'?  No one, ergo if it doesn't go in, it was missed.
    Hales and Mendonca were excellent penalty takers and I can remember both missing.  Who would say "and I can remember both having one saved'?  No one, ergo if it doesn't go in, it was missed.
    Strange......because I'm sure teams play with a goalkeeper 
  • cafc999 said:
    Penalty off target = miss
    Penalty on target = saved

The keeper saved Ronnie's penalty. 
    Michael Gray will take that ! 
  • If the goalkeeper gets his wanking paddles on it = save 
    If its skied or wide = miss