Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cover to Cover: Whitney v Dolly

13»

Comments

• Options
    Two versions of the same song.

Listen to both without prejudice and say which you prefer and why. No other versions allowed.

The 1974 original by Dolly Parton was written about her professional break up with TV show host Porter Wagoner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKsQR72HY0s

The song was covered by Whitney Houston, cousin of Dionne Warwick, for the 1992 film The Bodyguard and was a huge hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JWTaaS7LdU
    I thought I'd give the Whitney one another listen in the interests of fairness.

My ears are still bleeding.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Led Zeppelin are what musical genre anyway?
    I would be surprised if Deep Purple or Motörhead came up with stuff like the Battle of Evermore or the folksy Gallows Pole.
    In my view Led Zeppelin stand to the side of pigeon holing and they were their own drivers in their own musical creative journey.
    I wouldn’t suggest they were to everybody’s musical taste, but as individuals and as a collective they were something very special indeed in my view.
    Incidentally only musical snobs would roundly dismiss a whole category of music as rubbish, like classical or jazz or country or pop. Doesn’t music need to be judged on it’s own merits piece by piece?
    If you're looking for one genre then most definitely rooted in the blues.

But the reality is that they varied their style - heavy rock one track, followed by country/folk - and then followed by pure delta blues. All three and more genres could appear in a single track. 

Page described it as wanting to produce 'light and shade'. 

They were very special in my opinion also - as special as it is possible to be.

Jazz, by the way, can be roundly dismissed as rubbish - unless produced in a home studio.
    Bob, Bob oh Bob. Must be a tongue in cheek comment about jazz.
    You are surely writing off some of the greatest and influential jazz musician of all time.
    Billy Holiday, Miles Davis, Stan Getz etc. etc.
    If you are referring to Jazz studio productions, Blue note is arguable recognised  as the premier jazz producers since the end of the1930s.
    As a boring aside.   
    When I was younger, fitter and healthier, I was determined to experience Jazz at its highest level in the world and spent many years traveling and listening to Jazz in London, New York and Australia.
    Also blues in the Mississippi Delta down highway 61.
    This thread concerns Dolly Parton and I've listened to country music in the Smokey mountains.
    So there you are.
    Love it, Jazz, country and Blues so whatever genre it 'floats your boat' enjoy it.   

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Led Zeppelin are what musical genre anyway?
    I would be surprised if Deep Purple or Motörhead came up with stuff like the Battle of Evermore or the folksy Gallows Pole.
    In my view Led Zeppelin stand to the side of pigeon holing and they were their own drivers in their own musical creative journey.
    I wouldn’t suggest they were to everybody’s musical taste, but as individuals and as a collective they were something very special indeed in my view.
    Incidentally only musical snobs would roundly dismiss a whole category of music as rubbish, like classical or jazz or country or pop. Doesn’t music need to be judged on it’s own merits piece by piece?
    If you're looking for one genre then most definitely rooted in the blues.

But the reality is that they varied their style - heavy rock one track, followed by country/folk - and then followed by pure delta blues. All three and more genres could appear in a single track. 

Page described it as wanting to produce 'light and shade'. 

They were very special in my opinion also - as special as it is possible to be.

Jazz, by the way, can be roundly dismissed as rubbish - unless produced in a home studio.
    Bob, Bob oh Bob. Must be a tongue in cheek comment about jazz.
    You are surely writing off some of the greatest and influential jazz musician of all time.
    Billy Holiday, Miles Davis, Stan Getz etc. etc.
    If you are referring to Jazz studio productions, Blue note is arguable recognised  as the premier jazz producers since the end of the1930s.
    As a boring aside.   
    When I was younger, fitter and healthier, I was determined to experience Jazz at its highest level in the world and spent many years traveling and listening to Jazz in London, New York and Australia.
    Also blues in the Mississippi Delta down highway 61.
    This thread concerns Dolly Parton and I've listened to country music in the Smokey mountains.
    So there you are.
    Love it, Jazz, country and Blues so whatever genre it 'floats your boat' enjoy it.   

Yes it was.
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Interesting challenge. I was expecting to go with Dolly, as my memory of the Whitney version was that it was too overblown, overproduced and too much melismatic phrasing. And I like country*, have been in acts that covered Dolly songs.... but on an honest listen, Dolly's version is great, but I find the backing too schmaltzy. I'd love to hear her do it bluegrass style, there's a time and place for pedal steel and this isn't it.  Whitney's phrasing, and above all, her voice, win out, once I'd listened again. The part where she goes up a gear about two thirds of the way in is spine tingling.
    I think it is a great song and it's good to have two really good versions of it.

* obviously as an awkward English person when I say country, I mean Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Flatt and Scruggs, old timey stuff and certainly not Garth Brooks or that bland Nashville pop sound. 
    I think when you write it, you can do what the **** you want...  :D
    Well, I'd hope she was able to, though I suspect record company bosses were asking her to make it as polished and smooth as it is. It's great, don't get me wrong, but I'd expect a "Grass is Blue" type treatment to do the song more justice.